Author Topic: Dalinar as a possible radiant? *Spoilers*  (Read 16367 times)

Moash

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Dalinar as a possible radiant? *Spoilers*
« on: June 07, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a lurker, but decided to post a small theory I have.

The other day I was re-reading the chapter "10 heartbeats" from Wok, you know the one about the greatshell hunt?  Anyway, in that chapter some strange things happen with Dalinar that I hadn't caught during my first reading.

1.When he is knocked in the air his shardplate seems to correct itself so he lands right side up
2. Adolin notes that he moves faster in shardplate than should be possible, making other shardbearers look like children by comparison
3. When he catches the greatshell claw, Adolin notices that his shardplate "almost glows"

Could it be that these are manifestations of some latent power related to the radiants?  I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:15:03 PM by Moash »

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Dalinar as a possible radiant?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »
There's been a lot of speculation about this, actually, and I think most people agree that there's something special about Dalinar. Personally I agree that he's a great candidate for one of the new Radiants, but I think those particular pointers are a little too vague for us to know just yet. :)
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:53:36 PM »
I think that Dalinar is not a knight- yet. He hasn't yet done everything he needs to, or said the words that must be said.

From a recent Q&A in Europe, Brandon talked about Investing (aka distribution of magic) He said that in Mistborn, it was determined by genetics, Elantris by the Shaod, and in Way of Kings, it was by actions done. I believe this means that anyone has the potential to be a magic user if they are brave/curious/intelligent/honorable/lead/heal enough. 

I think that Dalinar being Brave in this section helped him reveal some of the Radiant traits that could be reached if he continues on this path.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:46:22 AM »
I like 8th order (resolute/builder) for Dalinar, he's certainly very resolute when he puts his mind to things, and he's trying to build a real unified alliance among the highprinces. Also his personal chosen virtue (Glory) is determination.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:30:05 AM »
I thought it was relatively clear that Dalinar is currently set to become some sort of Radiant. (Not that it isn't possible for him to get knocked off that track, of course)

Moash

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:50:26 PM »
I agree with cabby that we know there is something special about Dalinar.  We can gather something is different about him from the visions he is having, but do those visions necessarily indicate he might be on track to become a radiant?

And ari54, what evidence in the book makes it "relatively clear" that Dalinar is on track to become some sort of radiant.

The chapter I referenced in the OP seems to be the only reference showing that Dalinar has a special gift when it comes to wielding plate and blade.  Is there evidence I have missed elsewhere that points towards him developing radiant-like powers?

zas678

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure those are the only bits that show the "radiant like power". But I believe that the visions and his inner struggle (as well as the disapearance of the Thrill) show that he is becoming more and more of a radiant like person. Plus, he was asked to reorganize the Knights Radiant. That will be pretty hard if he isn't one himself, kolo?
“It’s a fun tradition.”

Moash

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure those are the only bits that show the "radiant like power". But I believe that the visions and his inner struggle (as well as the disapearance of the Thrill) show that he is becoming more and more of a radiant like person. Plus, he was asked to reorganize the Knights Radiant. That will be pretty hard if he isn't one himself, kolo?

I'd forgot about him being asked to reorganize the knights.  Didn't Nohadon tell him something like, "give back to men the shards they once bore" or something to that effect?

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 06:30:27 PM »
I'd forgot about him being asked to reorganize the knights.  Didn't Nohadon tell him something like, "give back to men the shards they once bore" or something to that effect?
Not Nohadon, it was The Almighty in the final vision, the one where he said he was dead and didn't even know who'd be receiving his message.  One of my favorite lines ever.

"Life before death.  Strength before weakness.  Journey before destination.  Speak again the ancient oaths, and return to men the shards they once bore.  The Knights Radiant must stand again."

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
  • This isn't just any text - This is Personal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:36:47 AM »
"Life before death.  Strength before weakness.  Journey before destination.  Speak again the ancient oaths, and return to men the shards they once bore.  The Knights Radiant must stand again."

I find this an interesting line.  Is he referring to shardblades, and if so, why doesn't he consider their current usage to be valid?

Also, this topic should probably have *spoilers* in the title.
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland

zas678

• Level 7
    • View Profile
Re: Dalinar as a possible radiant? *Spoilers*
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 06:22:47 PM »
There are many times in the books where "Shards" is a shortening for shardblades and sardplates. I thought it was the cooler interpretation too orignially, but no...

But I think that this means making the plate "glow" again, binding the plate in a more sure way.
“It’s a fun tradition.”

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 11:50:43 PM »
and perhaps,abstractly , using the Blades and Plate in the way they used to be used, a way that benefits people as  a whole, not just the people that have possession of them.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »
I agree with cabby that we know there is something special about Dalinar.  We can gather something is different about him from the visions he is having, but do those visions necessarily indicate he might be on track to become a radiant?

And ari54, what evidence in the book makes it "relatively clear" that Dalinar is on track to become some sort of radiant.

The chapter I referenced in the OP seems to be the only reference showing that Dalinar has a special gift when it comes to wielding plate and blade.  Is there evidence I have missed elsewhere that points towards him developing radiant-like powers?

There are all sorts of hints about gems going dull and him being able to do some pretty extraordinary things, even in the plate.

Tortellini

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:08:24 PM »
There are all sorts of hints about gems going dull and him being able to do some pretty extraordinary things, even in the plate.

Yes, this is quite clear in the fight against the Chasmfiend where he saves Elhokar. That could be instinctive surgebinding by him - Kaladin did it unconciously at first, too.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 02:44:37 PM »
I'd say it's just about certain Dalinar has some kind of magic going on.  The evidence for it is primarily in the fight with the Chasmfiend, but it's pretty good evidence.  My personal idea is that he is a Stonesinew, simply because it fits his personality.  On Roshar, personality is apparently closely tied to what magic you get (if any), so the idea isn't nuts and it isn't just a literary device, either.
Nature hates being reified.