Author Topic: A Cool Day  (Read 5145 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
A Cool Day
« on: February 09, 2004, 07:44:48 AM »
Well, today was rather interesting. As some of you may know, with school finished and Uni starting I have now moved to the city of Brisbane! I love this place, so I'm glad to be here, and pretty soon I start studying to earn my Bacholer of Teaching (Secondary) in English and Computers.

Anyway, for the first time since I moved up (I only arrived two days ago) myself and my friend whose family I'm currently living with went into the city.

The first bit of good news was before that actually. I figured out the times on the Uni website for the two classes that didn't seem to be on the timetable (They were there, just not on the allocations table.)

Anyway, in the city we bummed around and stuff. The walk down to the nearby bus stop was pretty long (like yesterday) and by the end of this year, I'll be fit. The buses were reasonably priced and fast.

In borders, apart from some dude just sitting reading stuff without buying it, I saw translated Mangas for Evangelion. Since it's my fabvourite series of all time, I wantad them just to have them. 35$ though. Each. Bordors also had some cool RPG books (I have previously not had a lot to do with most commercial systems, being the price and how hard they are to get in rural areas.) including Mage: The Acension, which sounds interesting and has been reccommendod to me. At 80$ I'll have to consider it carefully.

Lunch was a Sausage roll and a really cheap, really fresh bottle of orange juice. The juice plac eis came from is my new favourite drink place in the world.

I was disappointed to see my favourite arcade had closed down, but happy to see that the cheap video game store is still around (I thought it had gone). I tried a demo of Mario Kart: Double Dash and now want a Gamecube.

Shortly after that I saw a Japanese schoolgirl. Ok, it was just a japanese girl in a uniform with a long skirt and colours similar to the Japanese Schoolgirl uniform, but it was still the highlight of my day, thinking I was in Tokyo for a moment. (Technically, though, it was a school uniform...)

The best part though was finding a comic book shop I didn't know existed. Great RPGs. The same Eva mangas for half the price (and a few action figures) A guy running it who looks just like Comic Book Shop Guy from The Simpsons. Best of all, they had half a wall of Critical Mass Heroclix figures. (Clix of any sort are really hard to find here). Since I wanted a pack, I bought one, and was surprised when the price came up three dollars cheaper than everywhere else. I commented on this, and CBSG says "Yeah, well that's because we rock!" He was right. They did indeed rock.

On my way out I grabbed a flyer for a thing in a couple of weeks demonstrating a new cool looking CCG based on Kung Fu movies called Shadowfist.  To paraphrase: "Dueling and Multi-player games - with Give-Aways." More importantly: ""Shadowfist is the fast-paced trading card game based on Hong Kong action movies and more! Kung Fu masters, good-hearted cops, shadowy assassins, evil sorcerors with high-pitched voices, demons, and lots of guns. What more could you want? Flying Cybernetic Monkeys, you say? It's got those too!"

I opened my pack and home and pulled Ulik ( Great figure, and pretty cool, I needed a tank) some wierd 8 point figure who looked and acted just like Gollem, a hot chick named Nebula, (whose stats on every webiste on the net are entirely different from what my model shows, hmm.) and a daredevil figure.

I ordered a new monitor, since mine's, um, purple. 17 inch, 219$.

The only bad part of the day was the catch 22. I need to get address changes and cards from several different organisations (mostly government) yet to get one, it appears I need to get the other first. Which I can't, because I need the other one first.

Sigh. And my computer doesn't have sound yet. Don't ask.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: A Cool Day
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 08:21:30 AM »
Better then my day. Becasue of my work scedule I was up all saturday night, sunday morning (half the time was playing FFXI the other half FFX-2), then about 6ish in the morning I felt realy sick so I went to bed.  Got up and checked FFXI for a few things (mainly my acutions) and watched the Bush interview on Meet the Press (wich was pretty sad and painful to watch in someparts) then came to work and have been sketching out menu systems for the advast ye! site.  At least I'm ending it with watching Imus and going to the gym, so I'm ending on a high note.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 09:33:11 AM »
Flying Cybernetic Monkeys! That's what my army's been missing!

heh. cool. sounds fun. I wish I could spend $200 on my computer.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 08:15:40 PM »
I wish I had a computer.  I am redused to using my schools and or libraries on my free time as my maternal unit decided to ruin ours with a passion and not be able to fix it...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 08:18:36 PM »
at least she did it with feeling.

What happened to it?

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 08:25:09 PM »
She decided to wipe it's hard drive whilst having none of the following

A windows disk
An AOL driver
My flash disk (OH GOD NO, this means twice as much tetris in my spare time.  I already see chess moves and tetris pieces in tiled floors...)
Any knowlage whatsoever of how to work a computer

and worst of all she did it without warning us.  Sure, she doesn't care,she has a private laptop.  But the rest of us are stuck out in the cold, dark world.

Oh yeah, she also doesn't have my camcorder driver so I can't really edit movies, so add another hour of tetris a day and see if my eyes don't rot out of my head whilst I pass the maximum number of points possible...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 08:31:48 PM »
Wow...  :-/

Uhm, did she purposefully wipe the hard drive or was it one of those "what does this button do?" things?
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 10:03:50 PM »
I can get you a Win CD. email me. No one should have to go without.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 11:48:42 PM »
Woo Hoo!  Cool Day!

Here are some observations:

Mage used to be one of my favorite games.  It is certainly the best (and most cerbral) of the World of Darkness games.  I'd recommend it were it not for another factor:  Eden Studios.  Eden Studios, maker of many a great game, launched their company with a game called Witchcraft, which is thematically similar on many level to Mage, while still being different and a little innovative.  When they redid the system last September they released the new game as Armageddon and released Witchcraft as a free download.  That's right, awesome core book as a free download.  
Get it here:  http://www.edenstudios.net/witchcraft/WitchcraftCorebook.zip

Trust me, you won't be sorry.  Mage pales in comparison.

Secondly, Shadowfist CCG has been out for a goodly many years now and while it has a pretty big cult following, it hasn't been really popular in probably five or six years.  In fact the game was cancelled once and then picked up by another company.  It has quite a few expansions if I remember right.  I was tempted to get into it because it is based in the setting of the Feng Shui RPG...which rules (and has all the cool stuff you mentioned).  The company owner was kind enough to offer anyone who emailed him a few free demo decks of the game.  I did so.  It's an okay game...just not many people to play with.  If you actually have players though, knock yourself out...have fun, baby!  You can read a review of it and see how big the expansion are here:  http://www.rpweld3.com/reviews/shadowfi.html

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 05:41:10 AM »
I have the Armageddon core book. I am deeply un-impressed with it. The author appears to have no imagination at all.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 05:45:37 AM »
we actualy have a shadow fist review on site: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=110

not sure who wrote it, was just a submission from someone, but it's a little on the fanboy-ish side for me.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 06:17:12 AM »
Woah, I just assumed it must be new, given the fact that a demo day is being held. That review is pretty fanboyish though. If the demonstration gives a good enough picture of the game, want a more realistic review?
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 07:25:28 AM »
I don't allow either of my parental units touch the computer hardware/software. If they start messing with stuff, I seriously slap their hand and kick them out of the seat. It's the only way to protect my precious...
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 07:43:09 AM »
so long as the review gives a different enough perspective, we welcome a second review of the same product.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 10:00:47 AM »
I have the Armageddon core book. I am deeply un-impressed with it. The author appears to have no imagination at all.

Can't say much for Armageddon as I haven't seen it, but I'm a big fan of Witchcraft...and y'know, it's free!

Witchcraft is written by the same guy who wrote the amazingly good Buffy RPG, just to note.

Another cool thing about Unisystem (Eden's game system) is that you can convert Storyteller to it with virtually not problems and it gets rid of the annoying mega-handfuls of dice problems, making playing Exalted actually possible.