Author Topic: Shards of WoK ***Spoilers****  (Read 5412 times)

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Shards of WoK ***Spoilers****
« on: May 22, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »
Hi, I've just been reading the subject of the Cosmere Discussion and there has been a lot of talk about Roshar.  Recently, there was talk about a shard called, Honor, I believe.  I don't ever remember hearing about this Honor.  Could someone clarify please.  The only ones I've heard of are The Almighty (whose shardholder name I cannot remember but I remember it being long and complicated and only the Ardents are supposed to know), Rayse (Odium) and Cultivation (who is in Shinovar.  So can someone please help me out with the clarifying the shard Honor?  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Shards of WoK ***Spoilers****
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 06:31:16 PM »
I'm almost positive its the Almighty (who isn't alive?).  I'm not sure if it is explicitly stated in the book, for it is from an interview or something.  Someone else might be able to answer the question of where the fact came from.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
The Almighty was Honor. His human name was Tanavast, and the name the Ardents have given him is, as far as we can tell, a product of their religion. I don't remember the actual name, but it was symmetric, like everything holy. I suspect it was artificially designed just to be the holiest of names - both in form and meaning.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:23:18 PM »
Thank you so much for he help.  Though do any of you guys have any better understanding on Shadesmar or soulcasting because I'm still a bit foggy on those areas as well, probably because it's been a few months since I've read WoK.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 11:25:43 PM »
Do you have a more specific question in mind?
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 04:22:58 AM »
Um...How does soulcasting exactly relate or manipulate Shadesmar?

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 04:35:04 AM »
So. Remember when Shallan tells a truth to those crazy-symbol things, and then goes to a land that seems to be full of spheres? Shallan told the "sphere" (representative of the cognitive aspect) of the goblet to turn into blood. She came back, and voila! The goblet had turned into blood.

However, for more advanced manipulation, I have no idea. Except that it has been said that Hoid is good at it, which means that it could be used for transportation purposes.

I think the basics of power in the Shadesmar (also called the Cognitive Realm) is that beings with intelligence and choices have control over objects in the Shadesmar that have little or no intelligence. Sort of like how things that can move on their own seem to have more "control" or can manipulate things in the Physical Realm.

Everything has a presence in all three Realms (Physical, Cognitive, Spiritual).

EDIT- Notice, most of this is just random musings of my own. Little of it is fact.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:11:15 PM »
That's really helpful, I understand much better now.  But, um....how does soulcasting with a soulcaster work then?

Tortellini

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 08:55:30 AM »
That's really helpful, I understand much better now.  But, um....how does soulcasting with a soulcaster work then?

Likely in a similar way. Since fabrials are spren-based, the spren trapped inside is probably made to cross into Shadesmar and somehow do the convincing for the user.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »
So do you think that the spren are directly related to Shadesmar.  I don't know about you but they kind of reminded me about those floating glowing orbs that Shallan saw in the sea when she was in Shadesmar.  Does anyone else believe those could be a spren representation in Shadesmar?  Sorry that this is off topic.

Tortellini

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »
Well, it is your topic  ;)

I don't know about the orbs. Personally, I don't like to speculate too much on things where there are no clues whatsoever (which is many things right now...) so I just don't care about the orbs that much for now. My own thought, while reading it, was "maybe that's the cognitive aspect of all the people in the world and when Shallan crossed over, her orb turned into her full body." No proof or justification though, just a possibility.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 08:40:28 AM »
I always assumed the glowing orbs represented Stormlight somehow. Jasnah did think Shallan stupid for attempting to enter Shadesmar with only one infused sphere somewhere in the last chapter, I think. And Shallan did attempt her first soulcasting with quite a few spheres, which she later noted had gone dun.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 01:36:06 AM »
I think the little spheres or beads in Shadesmar represent the Cognitive aspect of objects in the physical world. if that  make any sense.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
I think the little spheres or beads in Shadesmar represent the Cognitive aspect of objects in the physical world. if that  make any sense.

It's the best idea I've heard.
Nature hates being reified.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »
And there's somewhat of backup for it!

Brandon:

Each of the 'Shardworlds' I've written in (Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, Way of Kings) exists with the same cosmology.  All things exist on three realms--the spiritual, the cognitive, and the physical.  What's going on here is an interaction between the three realms.  I don't to bore you with my made up philosophy, but I do have a cohesive metaphysical reasoning for how my worlds and magic works.  And there is a single plane of existence--called Shadesmar, the Cognative Realm--which connects them all.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”