EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: LTUE
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2004, 05:26:53 AM »
Well, he DID write a bunch of fanfics.  (You know, like Romeo and Juliet, which were based on other people's stories.)

Come to think of it, Midsummer Night's Dream does have a distinct 'furry' element....
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2004, 06:38:50 AM »
I've only been to LTUE twice, last time was 3 years ago, and both time is was all shakespearian.  But if it's got even worse them I'm glad I don't go, dressing up is stupid and is one of the many reasons I hate Cons.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2004, 02:05:56 PM »
It just irked a few of us because it's *supposed* to be academic.  We want people like Patricia C. Wrede to be impressed and return in future years, and then they go running around pretending to be fairies.

I will admit that it's partly jealousy on my part; I like dressing up.  Why do *I* have to be the one who realizes that it's not socially acceptable to dress up like a sci-fi character at an academic lecture?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2004, 07:15:28 PM »
Sprig:  Thank you for the lovely flame.

Fuzzy:  Supposedly (according to Linda, so take it how you will) LTUE has 'new blood' this year.  I don't know if that will change the feel or not.  Of course, there's always E3's infamous statement, "If I ever come to BYU to teach, symposium will return to the academic conference it was always meant to be."

All of this reminds me--Brenna, if you see this post, will you email me at my "ccg ala timewastersguide.com" address?  I want to talk to you about something regarding my students going to TLE.  Thanks.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2004, 02:25:31 AM »
Well, so far so good.  It's very different being on the 'other side' of the panels.  I am a verbose person anyway, so I enjoy getting up and pontificating before a crowd.  

It's still going to take some getting used to.  So far I've been on two panels, and on each one I've probably been the most 'successful' fiction writer in the group(assuming you look only at dollar signs.)  

Anyway, I enjoy paneling.  I was on a very interesting one today with Scott Parkin and Bob Defendi--two very eloquent men who seem to have very good storytelling instincts.  I was happy to meet Scott, though he did seem a little bit sad that I had *ahem* stolen his job.  Very nice guy, however.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2004, 07:28:38 AM »
Yeah, despite the fact that i was on a panel on illustration (i do not, nor ever have, nor ever will, have any illustration talent), i have to say it was neat to be the focus of attention and to be able to answer questions.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2004, 11:08:22 AM »
Scott's the kind of guy I always wanted to have for an uncle.  Nice fellow who comes to dinner and tells fun stories.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan