Author Topic: Im pissed about stormlight archive.  (Read 7505 times)

dhalagirl

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Im pissed about stormlight archive.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 05:13:44 AM »
I'm glad that we know the length of the series already.  There are some series like Feehan's Carpathians and Sands' Argeneau series that have gone on way too long.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »
Lengths in a series are subject to change. As Brandon works out the story, lots of things he has outlined may change.

Your probably looking at 15-20 years for it to be finished. Since Brandon wants to write other things. He is not a 1 series author.

alfadat

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
I though he said that he was going to do 2 stormlight books every 3 years. (After WoT is done) I am not 100% on that, but I thought I read that somewhere. Anyways, I am more than pleased with his pace of releasing books.

I believe this is what you were looking for his blog post titled: "Another Long and Rambling Post on Future Books"

Jason R. Peters

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 04:45:36 PM »
So I borrowed The Way of Kings from my friend because I liked the mistborn trilogy. So I started reading this figureing it was gonna be a trilogy or so. Well I finished the book and go online to see when the next one comes out and find out that its also a 10 part series and the other books not coming out for a while. So if Brandon doesn't pull a rothfuss or martin I have to wait 10-15 years to finish this series.

I loved How he sets up the series.

Yes, but unlike most (read: nearly all) other fantasy series, THE WAY OF KINGS had that apparently elusive component:

AN ENDING. And a satisfying one.

Having read books 1-13 of the Wheel of Time and book 1 of the Stormlight Archive, it is hard to imagine the end of the Wheel of Time being quite as satisfying and surprising as JUST the end WAY OF KINGS.

Just like the Mistborn series; each novel stands apart from the others. You didn't get to the end of book one and think "OH NO! I HAVE TO READ TWO MORE BOOKS!"

Nope, you just read and enjoyed the ending.

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »
I honestly held out to read the book a bit because of this reason. I think so many fans are tired of epic series that don't get finished or don't have more material within a reasonable time. It's also been sad seeing fans that were HUGE parts of the community that passed away before seeing the end.

There were a lot of negative reviews about the length of this novel. I just finished it two days ago, and absolutely loved every bit of the story. I can't say there was anything shocking to me when there were the revelations. It seems pretty obvious, but this is a ground work novel.

Tortellini

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 08:50:41 AM »
Just like the Mistborn series; each novel stands apart from the others. You didn't get to the end of book one and think "OH NO! I HAVE TO READ TWO MORE BOOKS!"

Speak for yourself.  I was definitely glad I got the boxed set, and I immediately switched to the next book both times. Although in my case it was more "OH YEAH! I GET TO READ TWO MORE BOOKS!"
 ;)

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »
In the case of Mistborn, I was very satisfied with the ending to TFE, although I knew perfectly well that there was more stuff to come.

When I finished TWoA, I was tired after a long night of reading, and was more than a little depressed about the cliff-hanger ending.  On re-read, though, I liked it much more.

HoA?  Amazing.  A deeply satisfying ending, even while sad.
Nature hates being reified.

Shiael

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »
lol i guess we will just have to wait. And read while waiting. :P
Nothing is ever easy...