Author Topic: Peter Orullian's first book  (Read 8283 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Peter Orullian's first book
« on: April 05, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »
Has anyone read the arc to his first book? I first heard of him when I saw an excellent interview he did with Brandon Sanderson. He asked alot of non-standard questions. Brandon seemed to get asked alot of the same questions over and over again and this guy asked new and interesting questions.

I also checked out his website. I am curious what people think of his book. I think it is out next week.

http://www.orullian.com/

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Orullian's first book
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:16:41 PM »
I've had the ARC for a few months now, but can't get myself to start it.  The description on the book makes it sound exactly like WoT.  Hopefully once I start it I'll find the blurb was misleading.  I have two books to finish before I start it.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 06:20:59 PM »
Isaac read it. He described it as a combination of the Wheel of Time and LDS theology (particularly the pre-Earth life War in Heaven at the beginning).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 07:03:55 AM »
That's pretty weird.  I think I'm gonna go cry now.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
Isaac read it. He described it as a combination of the Wheel of Time and LDS theology (particularly the pre-Earth life War in Heaven at the beginning).

Yeah, his description hasn't made it any easier for me to pick up.  We should each read it, Peter, then compare notes.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:26:15 AM »
Well, I do have two different copies of the ABM sitting on my desk at work. I want to read The Last Page first, though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »
Well, I do have two different copies of the ABM sitting on my desk at work. I want to read The Last Page first, though.

Isaac has been begging me to read that one.  Looks awesome.  Very Miéville.  Let me know what you think of it.  I have to finish off The Alchemist in the Shadows (which includes starting it heh) before reading The Unremembered.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 05:42:44 PM »
I find I don't get much out of blurbs for fantasy books. They all sound alike to me. Thats why I usually look for reviews first. Mixing religious theology with WoT sounds interesting.

I would be very interested in what Peter thinks of this given that he works on WoT with Brandon.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 09:35:05 PM »
Saw a few reviews for this one.  Watched the little videos they have for it.  Read a few of the short stories he has up on his website too.  Honestly, his prose turned me off pretty quick.  Doubt I'd be able to get into it.  Good luck, Steve.  :)
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 04:25:09 PM »
Saw a few reviews for this one.  Watched the little videos they have for it.  Read a few of the short stories he has up on his website too.  Honestly, his prose turned me off pretty quick.  Doubt I'd be able to get into it.  Good luck, Steve.  :)

That's me.  Giving.  I give my time reading books so the masses can save theirs for the best options.  I'll be Sainted someday.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 01:37:48 PM »
@bookstore: Your reading pace is incredible. I don't know how you keep track of all those books. They would all get jumbled together if  I read at that pace. Particularly if it was in the same genre. It seems like you read 100 books/year. Have you always read at that pace?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 04:09:21 PM »
@bookstore: Your reading pace is incredible. I don't know how you keep track of all those books. They would all get jumbled together if  I read at that pace. Particularly if it was in the same genre. It seems like you read 100 books/year. Have you always read at that pace?

I write the review to the book pretty quickly after I finish reading (unless the book makes me feel 2 distinctly opposing feelings, then I think about it for a bit before reviewing).  Writing about the book helps with the retention of the material.

As for how many books a year I read...well, last year I averaged around a book and a half a week.  Didn't review everything I read.  Wrote nearly 60 thousand words worth of reviews.    I'm going to tone it down a tad this year since EBR has 3 extra awesome reviewers now.  Need to focus on writing, especially since I sold a short story over the weekend.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 04:47:27 PM »
Where to?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 06:20:33 PM »
Where to?

An anthology Paul Genesse is editing.  Not quite sure when the anthology comes out (late summer maybe?), but it will contain quite a few stories with a demon-centric theme, and will likely be very inexpensive to download through all the major online bookstores.  I'm pretty stoked that Paul gave me the opportunity.  Baby steps and all that, and now I'm focusing on my novel with some added confidence. 

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 10:28:39 PM »
He isn't still accepting entries, is he?  I just got one of my WotF entries back that's a demon-centered story.  Dang.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.