Author Topic: Don't listen to the jerks  (Read 12688 times)

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
Don't listen to the jerks
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »
Some idiot Wheel of Time fan is posting on Facebook that Brandon Sanderson should be doing nothing but writing A Memory of Light.   I've seen this sort of sentiment expressed in other places, at other times.  And all I can say is: Don't listen to the jerks, Brandon.  Not all of your fans, and Robert Jordan's fans, are tantrum-throwing toddlers.  Most of us are patient, and appreciate all the long hours that you put in so that we can be amazed and amused.  So, thanks, and keep up the great work.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Don't listen to the jerks
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:16:44 AM »
If people have waited since 1988 for Wheel of Time to be finished.. they can sure as hell wait an extra 6-8 months.  I can't believe people are really on Brandon about that.. man, that sucks :/
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 12:35:29 AM »

There were a LOT of people that were extremely upset the book was being divided into three parts too.  It was quite ridiculous.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 04:29:32 AM »
I guess its a big deal to have to wait longer, but wouldn't you rather have 3 more books (of awesomeness) instead of having it all crammed into one?  Especially if an author says "I couldn't do it justice in 1 book."  Boggles my mind. :/

- Famous Words of Doom.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 07:14:38 AM »
From what I understand, that's mostly what he's doing. He's got other responsibilities, but that man is working his ass off.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 08:47:52 AM »
From what I understand, that's mostly what he's doing. He's got other responsibilities, but that man is working his ass off.

Yeah, I've been following his tweets and I'm amazed that he accomplishes as much as he does in a day.  I know if I tried to do this it would take me at least twice as long as Brandon and it wouldn't be half as meticulous.  The man is amazing!

anthonypeers

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 02:27:12 PM »
Yeah, I've been following his tweets and I'm amazed that he accomplishes as much as he does in a day.  I know if I tried to do this it would take me at least twice as long as Brandon and it wouldn't be half as meticulous.  The man is amazing!

Didn't you know?  Brandon's the one who holds the 16th shard, Creativity.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »

Didn't you know?  Brandon's the one who holds the 16th shard, Creativity.

Somehow, we wouldn't really be surprised.

- Famous Words of Doom.

Terez

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 09:01:47 AM »
Some idiot Wheel of Time fan is posting on Facebook that Brandon Sanderson should be doing nothing but writing A Memory of Light. 

The really hilarious bit was that they didn't seem to realize it was an April Fool's joke.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:06:34 PM »
Ah, that would make sense.

People took it seriously because of certain infamous epic authors who (for whatever reasons, often valid ones) take decades to write a handful of (admittedly phone-book-sized) volumes, and maybe run out of time on the Big Clock before they finish. It's a real and very present concern for fantasy fans in these days of lengthy multi-volume novels.

Brandon has always struck me as being more in the mold of authors like Pratchett or Butcher, who put out good work at a steady pace. He likes to write more (I think) than he likes Being A Writer, and we're all damn lucky that's the case.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 04:08:18 PM by Inkthinker »

Terez

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »
I agree it's a very real concern in general, but I don't think it is a very pressing concern for Brandon finishing WoT, or even Stormlight Archive. He's young yet.  ;) WoT fans just get a little over-excited sometimes. We're very lucky to have Brandon finishing the books - another author might have sold the ending of the series short by doing it in one volume as was apparently intended. (Though of course it was only supposed to be 'one more' because RJ was terminally ill when he made that decision and knew his days were numbered.)

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »
I'm glad Brandon's finishing WoT  because he's doing a great job,, an  because I got to discover a new favourite author, who I may well never have known about if he hadn't been picked to finish WoT.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure Brandon will live to finish WoT and he'd better live to finish TSA..

Hopefully the Mayans were wrong.

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »
When I took his class at BYU, he told us that he was unable to keep himself from writing during his honeymoon.   So... Yeah, the man loves to write. 

Boutch

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 04:11:53 AM »
Haha, the notion of someone criticizing Brandon for his release schedule is laughable. I see him as the hardest working author out there. I'm in awe of his releases over the past few years...

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 07:21:34 AM »
Pfft, Brandon will overwrite the Mayan calendar. Or even better, the end of 2012 will be when A Memory of Light will be released, and the series will not go out with a happy ending - thus, the end of the world.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.