Author Topic: RE-3/14/11-MannyBrainpan-Untitled Fantasy Serial- (Part 3)  (Read 2166 times)

MannyBrainpan

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Brain-pan
RE-3/14/11-MannyBrainpan-Untitled Fantasy Serial- (Part 3)
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:13:55 PM »
In case you didn't read in the email, I was wondering if the story feels like its padding around too much. I am slowly dropping bits of info about the magic system because I really want to avoid flat out exposition. Other than that, I put in the email some name ideas...just wondering if you all had any name ideas.
Thanks,
 -Manny
"It's a liger... it's pretty much my favorite animal." - Napoleon Dynamite

RiaRaen

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: RE-3/14/11-MannyBrainpan-Untitled Fantasy Serial- (Part 3)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:36:02 PM »
I have to admit im abit confused by your reference to a magic system as there doesnt seem to be one?
I dont think the story is padding around at all in fact I think its moving very fast! I think a little more description could be used at some points. I like her internal thoughts and that lizard had me giggling away. In fact to me the lizard is the most important character! Im not sure about the name ideas as I want to see what happens first! ^^

SkyhunterCommander

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:59:59 PM »
I as well didn't see anything that seemed related to a magic system, and I agree that the story did, for the most part, feel like it was moving quickly. The only place I can think of that felt a little slower was the paragraph about the water; it was the only part of the piece where there was a chunk of just information and not something happening.

Actually, after reading it again, I'm wondering if the part about the water is the info about the magic you were referring to. It seems like the water isn't just regular water, but I don't really see how it is related to a magic system. But then again, this is a short section, and I haven't read the first two parts. Other than that, I just want to see what happens next!

(Regarding the title question, I'm probably the worst person to give any advice; as I mentioned when I sent my chapters out this week, I also seem unable to figure out a title for my story. You're a step ahead of me though, as you at least have some ideas.)
I will get around to giving feedback to my fellow Reading Excuses members. As soon as I can.

MannyBrainpan

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Brain-pan
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:45:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Did you all not receive parts 1 & 2? I sent them out last Tuesday, I believe, but I was still getting the formatting kinks out so I might have titled the email wrong. If you would like to read Parts 1 & 2, they can be found on the main page of http://www.brainpan.webs.com
I am glad to hear that the story isn't too slow, because I was getting worried. And the fact that there doesn't appear to be a magic system worries me too. Yes, the water is a reference to the magic system. But, I guess it is still too early in the story to say that I need exposition, for I have some explaining of the water and stuff in the next few parts.
And about the lizard being the most important character...well... I can't really say much.
On adding detail, I do need to work on that, but I am trying to keep each part to 500-600 words. But I am not worried about that if I NEED the explanation. In fact, I tend to be long winded, so fitting a good piece of a story in 500 words is a challenge, I would much rather write the same bit in 1000 words.
Once again, thanks for the feedback, I'm mainly just glad that there are others who are reading the story.
-Manny

akoebel

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:16:32 PM »
The story moves fast enough for this sort of format where you need to have something happening at every page (Panel, panel, panel, punchline as some would say).

The only bit that worried me was the villagers : they are waiting for her at the drop point, she lands in a cloud of dirt, runs, and nobody follows her??? Maybe that's the magic system :-)

As for names, I'm really not the person for this, as I often pick up the first name that comes to mind (I've also been known to use online babies names databases and letting them choose at random).

MannyBrainpan

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Brain-pan
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 04:02:43 AM »
Exactly, that's sorta how I wanted to pace this story, since I am limited on each segment. 
About the villagers, yes, I'm glad you picked up on that, it is one of the references to the magic system.
Yeah, I'm familiar with the baby name technique, not a fan myself, but I have just flipped through a baby name book and gotten some sweet stuff. I usually don't write the name of my story or book, until I have a very clear image of the ending. I like the whole, name-ending tie in idea.

fireflyz

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 02:12:21 PM »
For a short piece, it was intriguing. :-)   As to names, I would suggest looking at names common to a society similar to the one your protagonist is in.  This piece was too short to gauge that so I can't help, but I would start there.  As for the story, I liked it, but I thought there were a few issues.

"Soon enough, the dust was settling and she was nearly at the forest’s edge."  Too passive, why not:

"The dust settled as she neared the forest's edge."

I'm a little curious about the mob.  They are gathered around where she will land and then after that they disappear from the story.  Either there's a mob that she manages to evade or there's no mob and she's safe.  Also, how high is this roof that she's jumping from?  Either it's a low roof or this world has super natural powers.  It's not easy to jump from the roof of a two storied building and walk away (in this case run) completey unscathed.

I'm also questioning your characters intelligence.  One moment she's taking precautions in case someone actually decided to follow her.  There's a ruslting of the bushes which she immediately dismisses.  The next paragraph she's leaving her things and going for a bath?  This didn't seem believable.  If the character is worried about being followed and then hears something in the bushes, why doesn't she wonder if she is actually being followed?
Follow my journey from aspiring author to published phenom.  Along the way we'll discover the dos and don'ts of successful writing!

http://twitter.com/ryanvanloan

MannyBrainpan

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Brain-pan
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
Thanks, yeah,  the whole story started as Facebook stunt kinda thing for my friends to read, so I figured I'd get some feedback in the process, that is why each piece is so short. I see what you mean about those two sentences. Actually, I guess they're kinda redundant. And the mob and the rooftop, will be explained in the next segment, in fact, if I ever adapt this into a full novel, I might add more detail to make her jump a bit more breathtaking.
I never intended for my main character to be the smartest cookie at the beginning, for reasons that will be revealed, and I am writing this sorta like a book, in my mind there would have been quite some time from her going to her tree and then going to bathe. It makes sense what you pointed out, it was just something I had to do when writing the story in short pieces. Also, if you think about it, when you are in a forest, the tiniest animals can make some of the largest rackets. So, that was my thinking behind it, but thank you very much for really reading deep into a tiny piece of writing.

Asmodemon

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 10:10:11 PM »
Part three, where Vara is going to land where a mob is gathering. Right, why is a mob gathering for Vara again? Yes, she’s a thief, yes, the butcher called her out, but she’s on the roofs now, running, while the butcher has to move through streets with enough people to form a mob. She should be outpacing him and the people should be a little slower in responding. Again, this may be the society, but in my experience people aren’t eager to get involved in such scrapes and with a lot of people around most will wait to see who is going to act first.

Vara then disappears into a cloud of dust. Given what you’ve said here on the forums I gather this is the magic system, some form of displacement through dust, but there’s nothing in the chapter itself to make this clear. From the chapter all I get is that she lands on an overly dusty street and runs from a mob, with an unclear purpose, without any trouble at all.

When she’s clear you make an odd jump with “it was a new month”, slipping into passive voice as well. It makes me feel more time has passed than it actually has. For someone who was just in trouble it’s odd she immediately wants to bath. My response would be to stake out her home for aw while to assure herself no one followed. When Leo speaks up she reacts far more passively than I expect, I’d expect her to do more than try to draw him out by speaking. A flight into a tree seems more likely.

The following sentence is really awkward: “She removed her goggles, letting her dark hair fall to her shoulders, I wonder what color my hair is.”

Her dark hair falls free, so she knows what colour her hair is. Another hint of a magic system, so now we have dust, water, hair; not seeing the overall connection yet. 

MannyBrainpan

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Brain-pan
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 10:41:12 PM »
Yeah, I get what you're saying, seeing as all that I have written is basically only one chapter of a regular book, I don't think it is wrong to keep the magic system a secret. Although I totally understand all of your comments. As soon to be revealed, there is a subtle reason why people get involved, also, I am not sure if I made it clear, but there are few "adults" in this society. So, most are immature and dislike her.
The reason I moved straight to the bath was because of the format, I definitely would NOT do that in a book, but I had to keep the plot moving.
Really, if this was to be a book, which it might be one day, (but right now it is just a free online 500 word serial)... this would be the opening action sequence, you don't know why stuff happens yet. It just does. I don't know maybe I am expecting the reader to go along with what they don't understand, maybe that's a mistake. Let me know if it is, I would change it if I want to compile this into a book.
About the hair color, that is part of the magic of this world, (don't expect anything massive and complex) but right after her thought I state that her hair changed hue as she moved.