Author Topic: February 27 - LongTimeUnderdog - The Canticle and the Forge Chapter 10  (Read 2009 times)

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Why the sudden skipping ahead?

Because the book is broken into section based on Character PoV.  By the end of chapter 9, we have left Karemoth and moved to Jin.  But why move ahead?  Because nothing I write in those chapters I'm happy with.  And if I'm not even remotely happy with it, I can only imagine how bad it would be for you all.  After staring at my outlines for them for what breaks down to a month, I've decided it's not worth wasting that much time and I should move on.  So I did.

If You haven't read anything of mine before, you shouldn't be too confused in reading this (well, a few little tidbits.  one day for them is five days for us.  A Huuk represents the space of time in which one would rise, work, and then go to bed).  But a synopsis should help.  I mean, it's probably going to be the same for anyone jumping in suddenly and anyone else sending them something.

Why the picture at the beginning of the document?  I was bored in Church and it seemed rather fitting.

Part 1:  Karemoth

Karemoth hunts devils for a living.  He learned to be the best at it while waiting for his crippled leg to recover enough to let him hunt properly again.  During a particularly bad hunt, he loses half his good leg, but rescues a little girl who turns out to be a witch (read white person).  The tribe's high chief takes the girl in and names her Anaiah.  Karemoth is given three huuks (three days) to learn how else he can provide food for the tribe.  This is shortened to only 1 huuk as a Dark Season sets in.  Because night time is the most important time to not waste anything, particularly under a dark season, Karemoth is tried right away to determine if he will be returned to the tribe for food.  He is sentenced to return and he vows to kill Anaiah before they kill him.  He steals her away and tries to throw her off a cliff but the world seems to rise up to stop him.  Then a group of witchsingers (people who sing and do magic) appear and take the girl with them.  He is rescued (if you can call it that) by the tribes warriors and finds out the whole tribe was attacked by witches using devils to mount an attack.  Most of the children were kidnapped as well as their parents.  karemoth, being one of High Chief's husbands, hunts the witches to save his own son, Amoz, and his wife.  Instead of fighting them, however, or killing them, Sallu, warchief of the tribe, speaks the witch language and negotiates with them.  this proves unsuccessful and the tribe is forced to fight them again.  Karemoth kills the rescues Anaiah and uses her voice to disrupt the witchsingers so they can no longer control the devils.  The devils turn on their masters and the tribe escapes with the prisoners, some of which are witches themselves.  Freed and happy, the witches offer open trade with the Ziphoa (Karemoth's tribe) because of the high quality bone smithing Karemoth does.  Accepting, he is no longer up for returning as he brings in food.  High Chief died in the fighting and in revenge Karemoth vows to kill every witch in the world.  And he is going to use their forbidden witchsongs to do it.

Part 2:  Eight years later:

Chapter 10:  We meet Jin'Cathul.

Asmodemon

• Level 6
    • View Profile
Re: February 27 - LongTimeUnderdog - The Canticle and the Forge Chapter 10
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »
I know what you mean by being dissatisfied with what you’ve written, it’s why I’ve been rewriting “Citadel” rather than post chapters I know are substandard.

I like the way you start this chapter with an image (the file size really surprised me before I opened it), it fits with what I remember of Jin from the previous draft. I also enjoyed the excerpt about Sin a lot. The backstory there is very intriguing, though there were some grammar/spelling issues.

Then you take us right back to the harsh society in the Hellfane, and at first glance it’s a little milder than it was in the previous draft. That’s good, since I thought the society was too hard on the male slaves before.

It’s nice to see Jin again and I’m curious to what you have in store for him this time. I also like Chalinea, she’s works really well with Jin.

Your sentences miss some punctuation or a word here and there. And there are some sentence structures where I had to think before I understood what it said. A comma or a dash could help in those cases. An example is in:

The chains on my wrists, bronze as few were stupid or proud enough to grant me iron, rattled as I shook them.

The chains on my wrists, bronze – as few were stupid or proud enough to grant me iron – rattled as I shook them.

Or perhaps a reordering: The bronze chains on my wrists rattled as I shook them. Few were stupid or proud enough to grant me iron.

Another issue is that parts of sentences are missing. In the following example you make mention of Jin’s body, before going into a spiel about his clothes and his sweat darkening said clothes. But you don’t return to the original point about his body.

The heat of the day was overbearing and Jin'Cathul's body, despite the silk coat and brimmed hat, sweat darkened the blue dyes to the color of a murky bucket.

I’m a bit confused about Jin’s height – you say he’s ten years old and that he’s tall for his age. It surprises me that people ignore him, even on the ground, so easily and that they step over him without notice.

Aside from these issues Jin’s first chapter was very enjoyable.

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
Hi, I am just starting with Reading Excuses and I did not get your submission for this week.  If you send it to me, I would be happy to offer some feedback.

:)

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
Thanks for sharing your piece with me.  I really enjoyed reading it.  Your setting is very imaginative, and I have lots of questions about it, but I guess that most of those would be answered by reading the chapters that come before this.  I think the dialogue is well done, and it helps me get a sense of the characters.

Now, here are some more particular comments:

The cold, damp air was thick with mold and the soft touch of water in the air. The parts of me still sensitive to such things danced and quivered when she approached.
  The sentence construction makes it sound like "such things" refers to mold or humidity.  I would just change the order.  "When she approached, the parts..."

The way she tied her hair, wrapped high on her head and hanging down her back in a sort of tail.  Gold threads woven into it and dotted with red and blue stones.  She was beautiful.
  These first two of these three are not sentences, they're fragments.   But it would be easy to rewrite them.  For example: "I was mesmerized by the way she tied her hair..." and "Gold threads were woven into it, and it was dotted..."

Those parts of me still sensitive slithered and hissed.
  Boy, he has a lot of still-sensitive parts...

Most of the animals, even those shelled or foolish, retreated to the shade of stones and earth. Burrows dug and filled with mothers and children.  Some of the little ones destined to become the days meal.
  The second and third of these are also fragments.  Why not combine them with the first sentence?  Or make them complete sentences of their own?

Most would call it the heat, and any other day they would be right.  But not today.
  Most would call what the heat?

The heat of the day was overbearing and Jin'Cathul's body, despite the silk coat and brimmed hat, sweat darkened the blue dyes to the color of a murky bucket.
  And Jin's body... what? 

A place where everyone and anyone could come and ply a trade and be rewarded for it.  Where the only slaves were the ones being marketed.
  Man, you love sentence fragments. 

Jin sat up on the trampled grass of the savannah.
  So, wait, I thought this was a barren and deadly desert.  Savannahs are grasslands, a completely separate biome.  They can be near deserts, but I think what you're wanting here is an oasis-- a small bit of vegetation in the middle of the desert.

She took a deep breath and straightened the small bodice, only covering her chest and ribs with a cone shaped section missing from the front, point at what would have been her bust if she had anything to call a bust, and then she straightened the skirt.
  This sentence is super confusing-- not least because a cone is not a flat shape, so it's very hard to imagine a conical section missing from a flat dress. 

Jin could almost hear the blue dress straining to hold the woman's fat breasts inside it's sleeveless, strapless linen.
>>its

“I'm sorry, Chalinae,” Jin said.
  Okay, he knows her name.  So when she walked up, he knew who she was.  So why did he think of her as "a small girl, looking the same age as Jin"?  In movies and on TV, the audience doesn't know a character's name until someone says it.  But we're seeing the world from Jin's viewpoint, and so the moment she shows up, he should be thinking about who she is and what she is doing here. 

“Then you gotta stand up for yourself,” she said.  “You're a free man.  My man. 
  Wait-- he's her man?  This information needs to come out the instant we see her. 

“And you're gonna tell them your my man, right?”
>> you're

In reality, she was a year and a half years his senior.
  >>"a year and a half his senior"

He was just so tall, people thought he was older.
  Okay, he's so short that he can't see over the adults in the bazaar.  And she's even shorter?  And they're dating?  Or married? 

And so they were an odd pair of friends.  Or Jin thought so at least.
  Man, what is the relationship here?  Maybe I need to read the rest of this book to understand what it means when a girl says a boy is "her man."

He always felt better during the night.  Like he could just hide away in it, forever.  Get lost and never be found.
  More sentence fragments.

House branch of Geuzuul was one of the largest a long the Hellfane boarder.
>>along >>border

All along the walls were frescas and mosaics of great battles and powerful victories of the House.
>>frescoes

As always during the day, it was ajar to easy access in and out.
"to afford easy access"

Old Herera, a slave to the Mai'asie who handled the branch and it's affairs, waved to Jin.
>>its

Even living here, and everyone knowing he lived her, did not make Herera any less intimidating.
"knowing he lived here"

Better too hot then too cold.
>>than

One could always put on more silks.  Had to kill animals to survive during the night.  And that was costly.
  Okay, I don't understand the connection between your first sentence and the fragment that follows. 

Thanks again!

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
Hey Juan and Asmodemon, thanks so much for replying.

@Juan:  Your assessment is correct about the Savannah, but when I said Savannah, I meant savannah.  The African Savannah is what borders the desert.  You have desert > savannah > rainforest, or whatever else might be out there.  I will make that clearer in the next drafts.  Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Also Juan, there is very little about the setting  you've missed from the previous Karemoth section of the book.  Where Jin is and where Karemoth is, are vastly different.  However, I can send you what I'm willing to send (the parts that aren't so awful I have nightmares about them) of the first 10 chapters if you'd like.

Thank you so much for reading and critiquing.  It was very informative.

akoebel

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Hi,
Sorry for the late review, it's been a difficult week, and I'm late for about everything.

I liked that piece much better than the one you submitted back in december. I had no trouble with visualizing what was going on here (that was my main issue with the last chapter).

In every sense, this feels like an opening chapter where we get to know a character. The interaction between Jin and Chalinae is quite entertaining. Chalinae looks like she's going to be a very interesting character.

The main thing that bothered me was the relationship between the two : it's apparent that he's a free man, but she often states that he belongs to her. I didn't get the feeling that they were married (or engaged, given their ages) and they didn't look like they were related. So why did she kept on describing him as "her man"?

The epigram (?) was nice to read, but didn't feel like one. It was so apparent that when the end of the epigram appeared, I was so much into it that it took me a while to re-enter the chapter : I had forgotten that this was an epigram, despite the italicizing.
You might want to consider why you do put those epigrams here : are they related to the chapter that is following or not? Do they tell a story of their own? Right now, with only one, it's difficult to see where you're heading with those.

I'm with Juan on the corrections : he's done the bulk of the work, so I won't repeat those here.

And for the savanna, I believe that there are many types, but as you did emphasize the heat in this region, I would believe that vegetation is quite sparse in those areas, yet, Jin appears to sit on a ground where there is grass everywhere. I wouldn't think this would be the case in a regular savanna where grass would be found in small patches here and there.

Abiel5dixon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
I dint read all chapters but so many people love to read many times, may be that's  a main reason behind further chapters and there edition.