Author Topic: Women and Men  (Read 7615 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Women and Men
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2004, 01:21:59 AM »
humm seams 42 proved my point.  Maybe becasue the culturlay learned people tell us we're stupid if we say men and women aren't that different. And according to them it'll never change, when in fact it has changed.  Just look how social acceptable it is for women to have importand jobs, play sports, like video games ect.  Men and women may not have the same thought prosses, but we're not all that different.  Only those that want us to be different say so, for what ever reason/motive they have.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2004, 01:25:25 AM »
You don't think that having completely different thought processes is enough difference?  I'm obviously not saying that men and women are different enough to make it impossible to understand each other, Sprig.  What I'm saying is that men and women think differently enough that people have been complaining about it for centuries, and no one has come up with any solid conclusions about it, other than "hey, we're different."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 01:25:56 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2004, 01:29:52 AM »
and we never will Fuzzy.  No human, in my opinion, has the capability to understand how we think.  Psycology is called a Pusdo-Science for a reason, because it's not conclusive and nothing can ever be 100% proven.  To be fair, I think psychology is a Junk-science and is nothing but BS, so I'm biased in this conversation.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2004, 01:31:49 AM »
Actually, it was the academics during the 1920's that worked really hard to prove that men and women weren't different.

Also, as I send the interchanging between man vs women activities is almost a one way street. It's okay for a woman to hold an important job, but not okay for a man to collect tea cups or cross stitch unless he's gay.

Anthropalogically, what doesn't work is how come gender roles are so strictly enforced by both genders in third world cultures? It break down of gender roles almost happens exclusively in developed coutry as do incidents of homesexuality and transgender activity.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2004, 01:34:22 AM »
Also, as I send the interchanging between man vs women activities is almost a one way street. It's okay for a woman to hold an important job, but not okay for a man to collect tea cups or cross stitch unless he's gay.

Ok, so what about the new trend of 'metrosexuals' that's such a rage?  I would argue that in some cases it has become ok in the past year or two for a man to collect tea cups or get manicures, or whatever.  Or maybe it isn't.  Or maybe it's only ok for some people, in a few cities. I think it's a peculiar development either way.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 01:37:12 AM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004, 01:39:58 AM »
I would say that's still a long ways off. Considering that I've been denied projects or even employment in certain industies based almost entirely on me being a man.

I was once working on a series of phone book ads for a hair salon, when the art director (a woman) took the project away from me as I was working on it and gave it a female designer. She bluntly said that I could create the ads because I was a man and wouldn't understand what a hair salon wants.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2004, 03:41:33 AM »
I just keep coming back to the idea that men are stereotyped with physically-envolved things, and the biggest nonsexual difference between men and women is how much stronger men are.  I think there's something to be said about that.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2004, 04:05:22 AM »
Psychology is called a Pusdo-Science for a reason, because it's not conclusive and nothing can ever be 100% proven.

Okay, I take exception to this.  You may not agree with some psychological conclusions, but it is definitely NOT a pseudo-science.  It is a social science, a category of studies which have a very different structure than the physical sciences.  Also, a lot of things in psychology CAN be proven for a general audience.  Social sciences focus on large groups, for which they can be very specific.  With individuals they sometimes have troubles, however.

Men and women are VERY different.  This, I believe, is part of what interests us in each other.  Men are more aggressive/violent.  This is not just socialization, this is a pattern of behavior proven by countless societies and countless peoples on the earth.

Pointing out that you know exceptions to this rule is an invalid argument when speaking of the social sciences, since--as stated above--they deal in generalities.  In general, men are more aggressive, more visual, and more physically confrontational than women.  We have chemicals inside of us that produce certain effects on our bodies--it's not just in our heads.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2004, 04:29:27 AM »
Just to have 2c on the original subject of this thread, I do not like Sports or Pain at all - yesterday I banged my hip into a bench and it Fudging hurts.

That said, every week or so I tend to go fairly depressed for a few hours, in a kind of carthartic way. It gets it out of my system.

Women and Men are certainly different. That's why "Discrimination" is such a bad word to demonise, since there are differences between the genders that shouldn't be ignored, even if they also shouldn't interfere with oppurtunities.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2004, 08:05:17 AM »
don't realy have much to add on the women and men subject, but as for psychology.... youc an't prove the foudnations. There's no way to get at empiracally what drives someone's thought process. You can only demonstrate generalities of how people act.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2004, 11:41:40 AM »
I don't think I'd call psychology a pseudo-science.  By that theory quantum physics is a pseudo-science.  And I think psychology has done a good job with a completely unknowable field - the human mind.  'cause they're all different, and they're all confusing.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2004, 03:23:40 PM »
you can actually demonstrate more conclusive proofs in quantum mechanics than in psychology. however, I am NOT saying that it's a "pseudo" science. Just that it doesn't have the authority of something like chemistry, since few of the theories, if any, can be conclusive.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2004, 04:28:29 PM »
There are actually concuclusive theories in psychology, such as behavioral conditioning, brain wave patterns, some aspects of human development and abnormal psychology. It's things like gender and personality psychology that have really shaking foundations.

Course, psychologist are a lot more willing to challenge the status quo more often than say medical scientist or chemist. Course, my relatives that are professors in the biological sciences are always quick to point out that nothing is really set in stone in a large part of the hard sciences.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2004, 06:14:06 PM »
actually, you're still talking about manifestations there. There's no conclusive theory about WHY behavioral conditioning work.

To bring up an old discussion, I think this is because so many of them reject plain old choice.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2004, 06:29:33 PM »
Im not sure theres a conclusive theory about why gravity works either, but the study of physics is a science.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!