Author Topic: Mistborn e-book art  (Read 3195 times)

Shi

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
Mistborn e-book art
« on: January 28, 2011, 07:09:44 AM »
Hey, didn't know how many people have seen this yet, but for those who haven't, Tor has the cover for the Mistborn e-book on their site, along with the artist's thoughts on the piece.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/01/sam-weber-on-the-ebook-cover-for-brandon-sandersons-mistborn-trilogy

Sam Weber is one of my favorite artists. He does beautiful work, yet always portrays a mood and atmosphere both haunting and alluring. Was interested to see what everyone here thinks.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: Mistborn e-book art
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »
I'm just happy as hell that he appears to have gotten all her details right. I could nitpick the design of the glass knives (clip-point? gahhhh...) but that is because I am a jerk.

It's a sweet cover.

;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:23:48 PM by Inkthinker »

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 05:01:48 AM »

Yeah, the knives were goofey.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Ruthie

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 05:00:01 AM »
Very nice.

Boutch

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 06:20:19 AM »
Hmm, I think that Inkthinker's fanart has captured the series better. It's a great image, but I don't feel that the series is about a girl falling with knives in her hands...

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:07:31 AM »
Thank you! But to be fair it's not about her walking through the mist with a Koloss sword either. Sam's image is way more dynamic than anything I've done lately, and I like the way it depicts no specific moment within the books, but rather shows Vin in a state that's more symbolic of several moments.

I like his Vin design a lot, you can tell he's actually read the story and knows the character. He nailed her look and her clothing and other details really well. I especially like the sleeves on her cloak. I would have done something different with the knives because I've got my own idea of what a glass knife should look like and how that differs from steel, but I don't think he's actually wrong to design a clip-point bowie-type blade (in some ways it's a very efficient design for her style of knife-fighting), it's just different from what I would do. It stands out to me, because on every other point I think he did a fantastic job.

I'll have my chance to raise the bar soon enough.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:18:04 AM by Inkthinker »

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 10:01:15 AM »
It's definitely a really good cover- it's rather amusing that e-books are getting such great covers in general, actually. :)

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 02:20:16 AM »
It's easily the best Mistborn cover I've seen.  It's a beautiful work of art in it's own right, and complements the story well.  I normally pay no attention to cover art, but all I can say here is "wow"
Nature hates being reified.

Boutch

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 02:43:36 AM »
Yeah, fair points Ink. Now that I look at it again, perhaps all that is needed is some mist swirling around her as she falls. That one thing would bring it more in line with the books for me.

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
I like the knives.  To me they look like obsidian, or some other kind of shiny glass.