Author Topic: Way of Kings Annotations  (Read 3863 times)

Argent

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
Way of Kings Annotations
« on: February 23, 2011, 08:08:12 AM »
I guess this should be directed to Brandon's circle of trusted ones. Will we get WoK (and SA) annotations on the website like we did for Elantris, Mistborn, and (currently) Warbreaker? My gut feeling is to go with "yes," but the Stormlight Archive is a much bigger project, and for some reason it may differ.

And on that note, what about the last three Wheel of Time books? While not entirely Brandon's, I am certain he has some thoughts about them. More than what we see on Twitter/Facebook that is.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Way of Kings Annotations
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 08:32:16 AM »
I think he already said "yes"on WoK, but not til he's done writing AMoL.

I also have a very vague idea that he said "no" on the WoT books, but I'm not sure about that one at all.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:35:59 AM by andygal »

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:10:39 AM »
Well, we still have plenty of Warbreaker annotations to go through. And with posting rate of one chapter every 1--2 weeks... :(
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

lordofsoup

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »
I dont think that WoT is even up to him, I believe it is Harriet's decision. 

Ipood

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
I think that the WoK annotations should start come upp in about seventeen weeks.
Edit:Blast! Wrote Wot instead of WoK!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:46:54 PM by Ipood »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 05:55:58 AM »
No Wheel of Time annotations, though Brandon wants to write a book about it someday, if Harriet agrees.

Brandon hasn't written the Way of Kings annotations yet. He usually writes annotations during the copyedit, but he didn't have time with WoK because of the deadlines. He will write them when he rereads the book in preparation for writing book 2, which will happen after he gets at least the full first draft done on AMoL. Which he has not started yet aside from some outlining, I believe. He's still rereading the whole Wheel of Time before he starts.

When the Warbreaker annotations run out we'll start running Mythwalker chapters as Warbreaker Prime deleted scenes. And then I may be getting the Way of Kings artists to do some annotations for the art.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:58:36 AM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 06:36:42 AM »
Annotations for the art would be awesome to read. :) I really enjoyed seeing Inkthinker's thoughts on the Shallan pages on DeviantART, I'd love to hear some of the behind the scenes thoughts for the rest of them.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 07:06:13 AM »
Annotations for the art would be awesome to read. :) I really enjoyed seeing Inkthinker's thoughts on the Shallan pages on DeviantART, I'd love to hear some of the behind the scenes thoughts for the rest of them.

I agree.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 07:09:36 AM »
Mythwalker?

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 07:25:53 AM »
an unpublished book that got scrapped that provided the  basis for Siri  and Vivenna.  According to the Warbreaker annotations.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
Where did Brandon get the idea to put annotations on his website? I have not seen other authors write them. They are very interesting. Its fun to see what went through his head when he was writing a certain part.

I would think it would be pretty time consuming to write annotations on Way of Kings 2+ years after he finished it. Even if he re-reads it, trying to remember what he was thinking after completely switching gears to other projects (I think he wrote another Mistborn book last fall and an urban fantasy book as well right? plus WoT Book 12).

Ipood

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 08:07:06 PM »
Where did Brandon get the idea to put annotations on his website? I have not seen other authors write them. They are very interesting. Its fun to see what went through his head when he was writing a certain part.
I think it was, at least partially, to get people to continue come to his website, for new material, and, but here I am just speculating, to explore his work.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 09:16:46 AM »

Annotations of books have been around for a long time.

I don't know about this exact version, but Bram Stoker's Dracula is a very popular annotated novel.  Well at least with the people I hang out with.  (Theater junkies.)

EDIT:  I realized that the one I had linked was not the one I thought it was after I read a few reviews and some more information on it.  The link is now from the Leonard Wolf version, which I believe is the most popular annotated version.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:24:41 AM by Miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 06:06:14 PM »
I have Martin Gardener's The Annotated Alice as well as an annotated Gulliver's Travels (by Isaac Asimov!), and they're a treat to read.

The annotations really add to the text. Asimov's annotations to Swift are especially interesting, as I had no idea that  Gulliver's Travels was originally intended to be a sociopolitical satire (I only knew the bowdlerised versions of the story as a children's fable).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:11:00 PM by Inkthinker »