Author Topic: Experiencing Sanderson through Audiobooks  (Read 2263 times)

coreyartus

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Experiencing Sanderson through Audiobooks
« on: January 28, 2011, 05:54:28 AM »
First post, here...  I see why this is called the Time-Waster's Guide... Good grief, I could spend hours here!!  LOL!

I don't know what the experience of reading Brandon's books is like at all, as I prefer to listen to them as I work in my studio.  I don't have the luxury of time to set aside to the activity of reading, and I've actually grown to prefer to hear stories told to me through great narration.  I've listened to quite a few books on audio, and I must say that Michael Kramer's voice is hypnotically appealing!  It's because of his (and his wife Kate Reading's) work on WoT that I purchased more of Brandon's works.

Listening to Mr. Kramer recite Brandon's Mistborn Trilogy has been a great experience, and I highly recommend it to anyone.  I find him to be an incredibly versatile storyteller--his vocal inflection, his way with accents, his enunciation, his character differentiation, and his oral interpretation are fantastic.  For me, it's much easier to hear the stories as he tells them than try keep things sorted out in my own head--I can rely upon him as narrator to help guide me into a rich and layered experience that has kept me up at night listening and consistently looking for excuses to work in my studio and listen to my iPod!

I just wanted to say that listening to the audio version of the Mistborn trilogy has been a real treat.   It's a great series of novels, and I don't feel I've missed anything by not reading them myself--if fact I'd encourage you all to listen to them if you can.  It's  a great experience, and well worth it.  With Mr. Kramer's and his wife's skills, I look forward to listening to The Way of Kings and the rest of his WoT books.  They made it easy to become a fan of Brandon's work.

Just sayin'.   ;D

--Corey in San Diego

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
Re: Experiencing Sanderson through Audiobooks
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 07:28:14 AM »
Hey, Corey in San Diego! :P

I am glad you enjoyed the audio books, and I am certain many of the forum visitors here also do. However nothing matches what Graphic Audio has done with Elantris and Warbreaker. Both are beyond majestic, and I wholeheartedly wish they would do Mistborn* and the Stormlight Archive. While they are quite pricy (~$70 for each one), they are also quite worth it. If you can't afford them, give the sample previews a shot. You can find them on each individual CD's page (not on the box pages I've linked).

Of course, welcome to the forums too! And try not to double-post topics :)

*Weren't there rumors about GA doing Mistborn? Or am I thinking about the movie rights?
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Hoidbringer

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 08:29:48 AM »
Graphic Audio did and amazing job with Elantris.  The version of Warbreaker I got off of audible.com made me retreat to the e-book however.  Nothing against James Yaegashi, but reading it just turned a 24+ hour marathon into an 8 hour read.  I kept falling asleep listening to it only to wake up a couple of hours later thinking; "what in the world is going on here?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 12:01:16 AM »
Graphic Audio can't do Mistborn or the Stormlight Archive because of the way audiobook rights were sold.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 01:54:05 AM »
Aww, that's a bummer. I was looking forward to either one. Does this mean we won't see any other GA Sanderson books?
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
It's less likely, since Macmillan wants the audiobook rights now.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!