Author Topic: Spring Broke  (Read 4223 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Spring Broke
« on: March 27, 2004, 03:09:04 PM »
Ok, so here I am, at home on spring break. And its just another long wait for the bore that will be school again. But, like my mom always seems to do, she's pestering me to find a job.

I've done this before, over the past 3 years. I've gone to many different places trying to find a job. Toys R'Us, Media Play, Burger King, Tops, etc. And I've never gotten a call or anything from these places. So whoopie. As you can see, I'm not all that enthralled about the prospect of a job. I'm much more inclined to start my own little business. Of course thats perpostiously perposterous you say. Well, maybe.

But yeah, I'm not looking forward to this... Maybe one of the local papers is hiring or something. That'd be nice. Here's to my luck, aka: Teh Poopsmith.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
Re: Spring Broke
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 03:20:00 PM »
I found it was much easier to get a job once i had a previous employment on my resume, so i worked as a junior councelor one summer for nature camp to get that down, now it's at least 45.8715 times easier to get a job now, i always get call backs, so maybe you should try to do something like that...
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 03:21:02 PM »
Jobsearching is funny. I did none of it - i handed my CV into a random store, who a month later called me and hired me. One of my friends has been out of a job since christmas. Another one has managed to get a job, get fired from it, and get another job in the same time period.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 07:13:28 PM »
Job searching sucks. They say you should put as much time into it as you intend to put in weekly when you're actually doing it.

I don't necessarily do that.

You can't stop though. You keep sending out feelers and resumes and applications, and hope to hear back.

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 09:06:54 PM »
I need a job! I, too, have applied to many a place (retail stores, movie theaters, etc.)...well, not that many, but still have heard nothing. I want to be paid! But, a question for all those who have jobs: is it worth it sacrficing your time for money (I know, I know, it depends on how muh you make), and, does it make you value your money more and not make you want to burn a whole in your pocket every time you see soem little trinket that you don't need?
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 09:10:18 PM »
it's totally worth it, but first do volunteer jobs that you can put on your resume(trust me it's so much easier) and yes it makes you value your mone more, and wether or not it burns a whole in your pocket, well thats just depends on the person, me I'm a sucker for glow sticks...

Sminja

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 09:12:28 PM »
I'm a sucker for suckers. It must get easier to get more and more jobs, as you have more and mroe experience on your resume...
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 09:13:38 PM »
exactly, i couldnt get hired until i did the councelor thing for nature camp.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 11:29:13 PM »
My first job was a paper route, my freshman year of high school. Well, unless you count the whole growing up on a farm thing. I had quite a bit of experience with 4H projects, etc. But then my first real job other than the paper route was for the mom of a girl on my dance team who needed a dishwasher at her restaurant.

So the volunteering I'd equate to the 4H projects--it gives you job skills, and it's definitely worth your time. Once you get a real, paying job, it's also worth your time. Try to get a job that gives you some experience in a field you want to know more about, but even if it's a Burger King job, that gives you a paycheck and something to put on your resume for when you start looking for jobs to help you work your way through college or for getting a summer job. Now while you're in high school is a great time, because you can get a 10 or 15 hour a week job, get a little spending money (or save for college or whatever), and still have time to have fun.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2004, 12:23:23 AM »
just think of all the games your mom won't buy you that you could get if you had your own income. (unless your mom is like mine, and pulls the "you have your own job now so I'm not even buying your clothes anymore -- that's your responsibility" trick.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 09:23:08 AM »
Yeah, SE, that happened to me, too. I was buying most of my own needs like clothes etc. from my sophomore year of high school on.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2004, 11:49:10 AM »
Wow, I don't even have a job and my mom stopped buying me clothes like four years ago, exceot holidays, which I get stuff from my grandmother.  Honestly, I don't a wanna hear no complainin'.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 11:49:58 AM by GorgontheWonderCow »
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Sminja

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2004, 12:35:02 PM »
Well I better get a job soon...I need to save up for a car, or I'll have no way to get around when I get my license...a new computer would be nice too...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2004, 12:39:37 PM »
hehe I tricked my parents, sort of.  My mom won't buy my games and like things even as birthday/christmass presents.  So instead I get lots of clothes as presents then just spend my cash on toys.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Sminja

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2004, 12:40:36 PM »
I like how you think, Spriggan. In fact, I might try that myself...