Author Topic: The Official Koala Whacking FAQ  (Read 2218 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
The Official Koala Whacking FAQ
« on: March 29, 2004, 07:11:25 AM »
The Official Koala Whacking FAQ

1)      General Questions
a)      What is Koala Whacking?
b)      How do you Koala Whack?
c)      What are the risks associated with Koala Whacking?
d)      Is Koala Whacking Legal?
e)      I plan to visit Australia? How do I try out Koala Whacking?
f)      Why do you Koala Whack?
g)      What type of Equipment does a Koala Whacker carry?
h)      What are the qualifications required for recreational or sporting Koala Whacking?
i)      Is Koala Whacking done for sport?
j)      Who is the Current World Champion?
k)      Does the RSPCA/environmentalists ever try to stop Koala Whacking?

2)      Employment Questions
a)      Can I get paid for Koala Whacking?
b)      How do I get a job Koala Whacking?
c)      What about these "Well-respected" Koala Whackers I keep hearing about"?
d)      How do I get a degree in Koala Whacking?
e)      What are the employment possibilities for a qualified Koala Whacker?
f)      Does the degree give any transferable skills?
g)      What is the job like? Will I enjoy it? Will it suit me?
h)      What are the job perks? The bad parts?

3)      Koala Questions
a)      What is a Koala?
b)      What do they eat?
c)      Where do they live?
d)      Do they swim?
e)      What is the temperament like? Are they dangerous?
f)      Does Koala Whacking put Koalas at risk?

Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: The Official Koala Whacking FAQ
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 07:11:57 AM »
1)      General Questions

a)      What is Koala Whacking?

Koala Whacking is the taking of a large, strong stick, and striking a Koala with it, usually with the attempt to dislodge it from something, such as a bridge.

b)      How do you Koala Whack?

It's a simple process. First, find a Koala you would like to Whack. Next, take a good, broad, heavy stick, about as long as your arm is best. Raise the stick high in the air using your best hand, and hit it as hard as you can. If the Koala continues to grip on, continue striking forcefully until it is dislodged. If it attacks, you may be compelled to use more force. Warning: Koala Whacking should not be attempted without first completing proper training and safety courses. Furthermore, a License is required.

c)      What are the risks associated with Koala Whacking?

Koalas have very sharp claws, and are vicious, wild animals. These claws can cause severe, though usually no life threatening injuries. When Whacking from bridges, risk is minimal if proper safety provisions (Proper Gear and Harnesses) are taken.

d)      Is Koala Whacking Legal?

Yes. The many Australian Councils employ people to Whack for them. That said, Koala Whacking is illegal in certain areas (Most notably the states of Tasmania and South Australia) when not done by authority of a Council.  Furthermore, recreational Koala Whacking is restricted to certain times each year; these vary between states. In all parts of Australia a License is required to Whack. This proves the proper safety courses have been taken and costs $30 annually in addition to the costs of any courses.

e)      I plan to visit Australia? How do I try out Koala Whacking?

The best way would be to find a local sporting group practising Koala Whacking and go to a meeting or two. Without a licence, you will be unable to Whack yourself, but it will give you a taster of what it's like In addition, if you are an exchange student, a good idea may be to get a part time Whacking job. This way you get paid, and your courses, licence and gear will cost you nothing. Besides being illegal, attempting to Koala Whack yourself untrained is dangerous and not recommended.

f)      Why do you Koala Whack?

For Recreation and sport. In addition, professional Koala Whackers do so to protect Australia's bridges.

g)      What type of Equipment does a Koala Whacker carry?

Equipment consists of the stick (and usually a single spare), safety harnesses (If working on a bridge) safety helmet, a good supply of water and foodstuffs (Energy food such as chocolate and nuts are recommended) a medical kit and a mobile (or for extreme rural area, a Satellite phone). This is usually contained in a large backpack.

h)      What are the qualifications required for recreational or sporting Koala Whacking?

Aspiring Whackers must complete a Koalas Whackers Initiative 'Zamination (KWIZ), a three day course with a sixty question, multiple-choice test at the end. Price is usually about $60. Secondly, a Koala Whackers Advanced Safety and Rules Certificate (KWASAR) must be completed. This is a single day course and a thirty question, multiple-choice test that usually costs about $20. Finally, a $30 annual licence must be purchased. The KWIZ remains for life, but the KWAZAR must be redone every three years.

i)      Is Koala Whacking done for sport?

Indeed it is. A Koala Whacking Club runs in most towns and cities, often affiliated with AKWA, the Australian Koala Whacker's Association (Who also cover Professional Whackers.)  

j)      Who is the Current World Champion?

Current Champion is Sydney resident George Dingle, a 34-year-old Amateur Whacker.

k)      Does the RSPCA/environmentalists ever try to stop Koala Whacking?

Yes. Several protests have been made, all ignored or blocked in the Senate. Although incidents have occurred where representatives and protesters have attempted to interfere with Koala Whackers. They usually are horribly mauled by the Koalas they try to save, then Whacked by the Whackers.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 07:12:18 AM »

2)      Employment Questions

a)      Can I get paid for Koala Whacking?

Yes. It is possible to get a part-time minimum wage job Koala Whacking from a Local council, in order to Whack Koalas off bridges, and protect the paint and superstructure. These workers are usually in teams of five, led by a Full-Time, Well-Respected Koala Whacker.

b)      How do I get a job Koala Whacking?

Apply with the Local Council - Regular jobs are unadvertised. More respected jobs can be found in the "Sporting" section of Newspaper Classifieds.

c)      What about these "Well-respected" Koala Whackers I keep hearing about"?

Well Respected Koala Whackers are those that are equipped with a four-year degree or better in Koala Whacking, and lead Whacking teams. It is possible to lead a team with a TAFE diploma of Koala Whacking also. The most respected Whackers in the country are those that have completed both a Masters Degree and a Doctorate in studies of Koala Whacking.

d)      How do I get a degree in Koala Whacking?

The Bachelor of Koala Whacking (B. KW) is a four-year degree available at many universities. Widely acknowledged as having the best courses are Brisbane's University of Queensland and Sydney's University of Sydney. Brisbane's Queensland University of Technology has recently added a course in Koala Whacking, from many reports it is as good as the UQ and US ones. All the above universities provide Masters and Doctorate Postgraduate degrees.

e)      What are the employment possibilities for a qualified Koala Whacker?

A qualified Koala Whacker can expect to get a job leading a Whacking team on a public bridge. Supply about equals demand - 95% of people who do the degree get a job leading a team.

f)      Does the degree give any transferable skills?

Apart from the physical skills, first aid and teamwork skills are well utilised.

g)      What is the job like? Will I enjoy it? Will it suit me?

The job is enjoyable and social, with good hours, but is a physical challenge. Injuries occur to even the most skilled on occasion. The job requires working at heights, which may to be to some people's tastes. If you are optimistic, able-bodied and enjoy working with others you may like the job.

h)      What are the job perks? The bad parts?

Hours are fairly good and, if the team agrees, customisable. Exercise is done as part of the job; all courses and equipment is provided free of charge and may be used for recreational Whacking. Workers also are provided with discount lunches are nearby city eateries, and free bridge tolls. The bad parts are occasional injuries, the possibility of having to work and depend on someone disliked, low pay (For amateur workers) and a dependence on the weather. (In the rain, you will get wet).

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 07:12:40 AM »
3)      Koala Questions

a)      What is a Koala?

A Koala is a marsupial native to Australia. They are not a bear, despite looking much like one. They are grey in colour, and armed with sharp claws.

b)      What do they eat?

Interestingly, Koalas drink no water, and eat only the leaves of certain Eucalyptus trees.

c)      Where do they live?

Koalas live primarily in rural areas, but are also frequent in the city. They inhabit either Eucalyptus trees, or Bridges, where they scratch away the paint and cause damage to the superstructure and risk innocent civilians lives with the collapse of the bridge.

d)      Do they swim?

Yes. Koalas are extremely skilled swimmers.

e)      What is the temperament like? Are they dangerous?

Extremely. Koalas are wild, and attack quickly if provoked with claws. Bleeding can be profuse, although life-threatening injuries are rare.

f)      Does Koala Whacking put Koalas at risk?

Of course it bloody does! What, you think being whacked by a massive stick and left to drown in a cold river is going to leave you with just a few hurt feelings? Koalas are an endangered species as it is, so Whacking threatens the species survival. Serves 'em right too, vicious so-and-so's!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 07:33:02 AM »
you are a strange man, JP

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 07:36:47 AM »
Entropy says:
WHACK
JamPaladin says:
Indeed
Entropy says:
and lo, there was a great commotion; and the people looked; and saw that the whackers had fallen silent; for there were no more koalas to whack
JamPaladin says:
No! No more Cthulhu for you!
JamPaladin says:
Bad Thermonuclear force!
Entropy says:
IA! IA! KOALA FTHAGN!
JamPaladin says:
Err..Thermodynamic

Fun.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch