Author Topic: Did the Lord Ruler ... ? (Spoilers)  (Read 5625 times)

Shadmere

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Did the Lord Ruler ... ? (Spoilers)
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:41:09 PM »
Did the Lord Ruler have a spike in his chest?  I'm talking about it with someone, but neither of us have the books anywhere near where we could check within a reasonable amount of time.  I hate going to the net to ask a simple question like this, but my Googling was getting me nowhere!   :P

If he did, was it a hemalurgic spike?

Thanks.  :)

lordofsoup

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Did the Lord Ruler ... ? (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:59:22 PM »
I don't think so.  It never actually says but Marsh did not find one in his back.  The reason his Allomancy was so strong is he was like Elend and had an original piece of Preservation that gave him the mistborn powers.  He did not have it diluted by impure blood.  He also had Feruchemistry to compliment it.  He was so strong already, he did not need the spikes. 

Shadmere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:06:44 PM »
Yeah, I didn't remember anything like that, but my girlfriend insists he had a large spike in his chest.  "Like Zane's but bigger."  (She just finished the second book.)

It's been a year since I've read the book, so I wanted to make sure I was right before I told her that there was no thing.  I know he was pierced, but I think that was just to keep his feruchemical metals from being pulled off.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:08:03 AM »
If he'd had a hemalurgic spike, Ruin would have bad certain level of control over him. I think Ati was able to whisper words in his mind, but nothing like Zane's false interpretation of God.

Moreover, Lord Ruler's powers were described as clever use of allomancy and feruchemy - no mentions about hemalurgy whatsoever. There is also lordofsoup's argument that he was strong enough - arguably the strongest allomancer (up until Vin?), so he would have no need for a spike. So I'd wager no, he didn't have one.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 03:07:49 AM »
I might be remembering this incorrectly.. but didn't the Lord Ruler have his Feruchemy bands pierced into his arms in some way?  I feel like I remember reading that, and Vin literally ripping them out of his skin.. Its also quite possible that the years its been since I read Mistborn have tainted my memory haha.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 03:13:01 AM »
Yeah, they were pierced into his skin so that it was (almost) impossible for them to be Pulled or Pushed.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 03:21:53 AM »
Yeah, so I'd assume Ati had some affect on him.. I mean if Vin's ear ring can let him make some changes.. I'm sure that Ati could affect The Lord Ruler over a thousand years.  It would seem a little strange to me if Ati didn't try to alter the course of The Lord Ruler.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:04:02 AM »
I always figured TLR was so powerful because he pretty much was an allomantic savant in all the metals.  He lived for a long time and had plenty of resources, it seems like if he was constantly flaring his soothing power all the time it would give it the effect it needed.  Especially since in one of the annotations Brandon says vin is more powerful, like TLR but for different reasons which we discover later.  IMO that is the savant thing that comes up in book 3.

Also, since it came up.  Was the spike in Zane's chest ever described to the point that we know what metal it was and what ability he got from it?

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 05:18:19 AM »
Brandon mentioned somewhere that Zane's spike is responsible for his exceptional precision with Pushes.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 05:20:02 AM »
It was steel, hence the remarkable control he has when Pushing and Pulling that Vin remarks on.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »
It was steel, hence the remarkable control he has when Pushing and Pulling that Vin remarks on.

That's what I figured but wondered if it was ever confirmed.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 04:03:09 PM »
As far as I remember, the Lord Ruler was only spiked with his Feruchemical storages so that he could always have them and thus keep up his power.

Hemalurgy gave him power, but just because he knew how to create Inquisitors and Koloss, which he could in turn control using his pure Allomancy.  I don't think he was stupid enough to do it to himself.

I agree with others, though, that the piercings he did have (the feruchemical ones) gave Ruin access to his mind.  That's probably part of why he turned out such a lousy ruler.  Ruin twisted his perceptions so much, he thought randomly killing Skaa was justice...
Nature hates being reified.

Tortellini

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »
It has been a while since I read this, but doesn't "contact with Ruin" require a hemalurgic spike? Just any type of metal in the body is not enough from what I gathered. The "implants" the Lord Ruler had were only to prevent anyone Pulling or Pushing them.

If any metal in the body would work, Ruin could speak to anyone who swallowed some metal...

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »
It has been a while since I read this, but doesn't "contact with Ruin" require a hemalurgic spike? Just any type of metal in the body is not enough from what I gathered. The "implants" the Lord Ruler had were only to prevent anyone Pulling or Pushing them.

If any metal in the body would work, Ruin could speak to anyone who swallowed some metal...

That's right, although he also has some influence over people who are mentally unstable. That's how he got Zane to spike himself.  Rashek was a violence prone, angry person to begin with, and ruling an empire for several hundred years may have worn down his sanity somewhat.  He most likely made the first Koloss and Kandra personally, which also could unhinge someone.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 03:13:43 AM »
I don't think it has to be a spike, per se... Ruin was able to influence Vin through her earring, and Spook through a splinter. It has to be piercing the body, but it doesn't need to be a spike of the sort used for the Inquisitors.