Author Topic: Parshendi (WoK spoilers)  (Read 10418 times)

Melriken

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Parshendi (WoK spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »
Since this is a topic for the unhuman creatures known as Parshendi, does anybody else think that there is something connecting the Parshendi and the Aimia?
The Parshendi remind me of the Dakhor Monks.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 07:37:33 AM »
Since this is a topic for the unhuman creatures known as Parshendi, does anybody else think that there is something connecting the Parshendi and the Aimia?

How so? I mean, besides the enhanced physical abilities, which really aren't that unique to the monks.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Melriken

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
How so? I mean, besides the enhanced physical abilities, which really aren't that unique to the monks.
The monks grew bone armor plates under the skin, while the Parshendi grow carapace above the skin the superficial similarities there are what make the Parshendi remind me of the Monks.

Also we don't know how the Parshendi get their armor.

cromptj

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 09:29:11 PM »
As the parshendi either flee from kaladin or try and kill him, I don't think that they would be sent from the Almighty as they clearly knew that Kaladin was infused with stormlight.
Also, is it not possible that the original master of Szeth was working with the Parshendi (or by extension, the Nightwatcher, or Odium) as they took credit for Gavilar's murder and seemed to anticipate the siege of the Shattered Plains.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:30:46 PM by cromptj »

Melriken

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 12:54:31 AM »
As the parshendi either flee from kaladin or try and kill him, I don't think that they would be sent from the Almighty as they clearly knew that Kaladin was infused with stormlight.
Also, is it not possible that the original master of Szeth was working with the Parshendi (or by extension, the Nightwatcher, or Odium) as they took credit for Gavilar's murder and seemed to anticipate the siege of the Shattered Plains.
the original master of Szeth WAS the Parshendi... (well his master during the prologue, we know he was bought by a trader from the Shin, but that is a whole other story)

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 01:26:31 AM »
And that trader from Shin was Vstim, as seen in Interlude 4: Rysn. I can't remember anything that clearly and unquestionably indicated that Szeth was employed by the Parshendi. Yes, it is possible - and I find it likely too (assuming Brandon doesn't pull something weird off... which he might very well do) - but it's not certain. One of the easiest ways to deceive a reader is to have a knowledgeable character express certainty about some event, only to have themselves proven wrong later on.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

old aggie

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 02:12:56 AM »
I don't see the Parshendi fleeing from Kaladin so much as respecting or reverencing him - those who saw the supernatural things he could do, at any rate. They chanted something - it sounded like low-level worship to me, when I read it. The Parshendi who were not at the bridge, who did not see how he drew all the arrows onto his shield, were the ones fighting him.

If the Creator did send the Parshendi as unexpected allies ("help that comes unlooked-for, help beyond hope"), I am imagining that he gave some kind of direction to their leaders, possibly much like the visions he was giving Dalinar. That would be how they would recognize him and say, "I have found you."

(I am really wishing that I had my book with me again - but then, part of the rationale was to keep myself from reading it over and over again, and doing nothing else...)

EvilNuff

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 03:33:52 AM »
...I can't remember anything that clearly and unquestionably indicated that Szeth was employed by the Parshendi. ...

First sentence of the Szeth prologue:
Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king. The white clothing was a Parshendi tradition, foreign to him. But he did as his masters required and did not ask for an explanation.

and a few paragraphs down:
...As Szeth passed the drummers, they noted him. They would withdraw soon, along with all of the other Parshendi.

They did not seem offended. They did not seem angry. And yet they were going to break their treaty of only a few hours. It made no sense. But Szeth did not ask questions.

While it is possible that he had masters (plural) who were not Parshendi and who instructed him to wear the Parshendi white, the second passage indicates that the Parshendi knew they would break the treaty.  This means the Parshendi knew that he would assassinate the King.  So if they were not actually his masters they were working with his masters.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 05:25:22 AM »
Another thing. The Pashendi seem too Honor-bound to be servants of Odium. They may be powered by Odium (like the Kandra were with Ruin), but I think that they are of Honor. Kaladin recognizes their honor, and to a lesser extent, so does Dalinar.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »
they got an assassin to kill Gavilar  during a celebration of the peace treaty he made with them. Not very honourable.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 07:47:08 AM »
That depends on the motives behind the assassination, which we still don't know.  I know it may seem unlikely, but he may have been killed for an honorable cause.  It was only a few months before Gavilar's death that he became an honorable man.  Before that, he was just as much of a prat as the rest of the Alethi nobility.  If the Parshendi's motive was based on the old Gavilar, they could feel it was just and good without it actually being so.

Melriken

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 06:22:08 PM »
Another thing. The Pashendi seem too Honor-bound to be servants of Odium. They may be powered by Odium (like the Kandra were with Ruin), but I think that they are of Honor. Kaladin recognizes their honor, and to a lesser extent, so does Dalinar.
Odium is...
o·di·um
   /ˈoʊdiəm/ oh-dee-uhm
–noun
1. intense hatred or dislike, especially toward a person or thing regarded as contemptible, despicable, or repugnant.
2. the reproach, discredit, or opprobrium attaching to something hated or repugnant: He had to bear the odium of neglecting his family.
3. the state or quality of being hated.

Origin:
1595–1605;  < Latin:  hatred, equivalent to od ( isse ) to hate + -ium -ium

—Synonyms
1.  detestation, abhorrence, antipathy. 2.  obloquy.

—Antonyms
1.  love.

Nothing there prevents some amount of honor, and we KNOW that Odium can be convinced to not only choose a champion, but abide by the outcome of whatever contest the champions engage in, otherwise Honor wouldn't suggest getting him to choose a champion.

Xavien

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2011, 12:29:11 AM »
Odium is...
o·di·um
   /ˈoʊdiəm/ oh-dee-uhm
–noun
1. intense hatred or dislike, especially toward a person or thing regarded as contemptible, despicable, or repugnant.
2. the reproach, discredit, or opprobrium attaching to something hated or repugnant: He had to bear the odium of neglecting his family.
3. the state or quality of being hated.

Origin:
1595–1605;  < Latin:  hatred, equivalent to od ( isse ) to hate + -ium -ium

—Synonyms
1.  detestation, abhorrence, antipathy. 2.  obloquy.

—Antonyms
1.  love.

Nothing there prevents some amount of honor, and we KNOW that Odium can be convinced to not only choose a champion, but abide by the outcome of whatever contest the champions engage in, otherwise Honor wouldn't suggest getting him to choose a champion.

Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules