Author Topic: Recommend a book  (Read 19575 times)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: Recommend a book
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 05:27:02 AM »
Just burned through Rachel Aaron's The Spirit Thief, which was a fun read. I think Brandon's fans might dig her use of magic, which has a lot of cool whiz-bang but also fairly defined parameters. It would adapt well to a graphic novel, something which always appealed to me in Brandon's work.

She's got three in the series. If I had any complaint about the first one, it would be that it was a pretty light read... the characters are fun and enjoyable, but (at least so far) there's not a lot of evidence for deep underlying currents. It actually reminds me of some anime/manga series, a bit... the main character is a thief who's goal is to push his own bounty price past a million (presumably for a better reason than the one he flippantly gives, which is "because nobody else ever has"), and he's roaming the land committing outrageous acts of thievery (against wealthy and powerful people) with a roguish wink and a nod. There's a lot of implied depth to the world and the characters, but the first book is more of a fast-paced action romp that introduces them and gets you interested. We'll see how it develops in the second and third one.

Secondary note: terrible US covers. Color-tinted photos, like they're selling bad romance. No idea what they were thinking, this book would have been better served with a proper cover painter. Maybe on the second printing...

Keyn

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 10:15:10 PM »
I don't think anyone's mentioned Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series yet. It definitely isn't for the fainthearted. He doesn't spoon-feed his readers and the series is rather dark, but it's really amazing.
"The love of a hero is more terrible than the hatred of a tyrant. The hatred of a hero is more generous than the love of a philanthropist." -G.K. Chesterton

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
  • This isn't just any text - This is Personal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 09:08:20 PM »
Going to second the Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham.  Those books were incredible.

Nobody's mentioned the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson yet.  The series isn't finished yet, but the first five books are great, and continue to get better.
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 10:15:58 PM »
Constant badgering by the Writing Excuses podcast (and others) has convinced me to pick up Rothfuss's the Name of the Wind. The back copy wasn't half-bad either, it might just be something I'll like.

I find lately that I haven't got much interest in "high fantasy" anymore... I think the new author who's work I've enjoyed most in the past couple years is Joe Abercrombie. Although I felt that the ending of the first trilogy was almost forced "bad", I totally enjoyed the stand-alone sequels. His latest, The Heroes, is probably the best novel I've ever read centered around a single, war-defining battle... then again, I also think that the previous book, Best Served Cold, might be the best  Dumas-bedamned revenge novel I've ever read, also. And you can read either without committing to the first trilogy, they stand well enough on their own.

He's not for the faint of heart, but if you want more mud and blood and less mystical forests and wise elves, he's a good place to go.

The Incredible Thorbear

• Level 2
  • I'm like the hammer of Thor, but actually a bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 11:35:05 AM »
I highly recommend Robin Hobb. All her books are great, but start with the Farseer Trilogy.

George RR Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire. A great writer and a great series.  Even if it, as some people are inclined to think, never will be finished it's worth it. Remember: Journey before Destination!
I can also recommend his book Fevre Dream which I just finished. A really cool story about steamboats and vampires.

Look on my Works ye Mighty, and despair!

pschyosquirle

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 11:22:13 PM »
haven't seen it yet IMO great book

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle #1)

by Patrick Rothfuss

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »
I mentioned it two posts up, but at the time hadn't read it yet.

Since then I have, and damned if they weren't right-- it's pretty awesome. Rothfuss knows how to write very cleverly, and his characters are interesting and varied. Heck, he even writes poetry and music that doesn't annoy me (as so much lyrical content in fantasy novels does), and that's a trick in and of itself.

Definitely recommended.

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »
This is just the thread I needed. After finally finishing TWoTK I read the first two books from the demon chronicles by Peter V Brett. They were both really good, light books.

Ive been bumming, watching movies, plating WWF and debating finding new books.Thanks for all the suggestions to look through!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 02:31:56 AM »
I found a copy of Warrior's Apprentice, first of the Miles Vorkosigan books, in the Baen Free library, and I've consumed it at a bit of a ridiculous rate, even for me... before I knew it, four hours had gone and I was 3/4 done with it.

It's really good stuff, the plot is a series of scams, bluffs and twists on the part of the main character that continue to spin and branch into the need for more, and I honestly have no sure idea where it'll end up.

If their ultimate plot is to sell more Miles Vorkosigan books by giving the first one away free, it worked... I'm hooked.

Shiael

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2011, 04:51:35 AM »
try Wizards first rule. I have heard that demonata is good too, but i need to try that one before i go giving any reports :P
Nothing is ever easy...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2011, 11:48:31 PM »
If their ultimate plot is to sell more Miles Vorkosigan books by giving the first one away free, it worked... I'm hooked.
Maybe I shouldn't say this (if it discourages you from buying), but you can actually download almost every Vorkosigan book for free. Baen puts out a CD with many hardcovers that has previous ebooks on it, and they encourage this CD to be shared. Search for Baen CD the fifth imperium.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:50:12 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, 02:18:15 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't say this (if it discourages you from buying), but you can actually download almost every Vorkosigan book for free. Baen puts out a CD with many hardcovers that has previous ebooks on it, and they encourage this CD to be shared. Search for Baen CD the fifth imperium.
There's an important one that's not on that CD, though - Memory.

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2011, 04:26:17 AM »
I cringe when I hear Goodkind's work mentioned. That said, I bought and read them all because they were recommended. I would say more but I'll leave you with a good take on that book.

"'Wizard's First Rule'?" Vin asked. "I mean, really. Is it too hard to say 'The First Rule of Wizardry' or 'Wizardry's First Rule'? The way you say it sounds stupid. That's always bothered me." With that, she slipped off into the darkness.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:31:50 AM by Adrienne »

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »

I'd heard about that. It doesn't stop me from buying, I likes solid books and this one really hooked me all the way to the end.

Jason R. Peters

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 02:14:36 AM »
Honestly, I can't recommend any in fantasy. I had forsworn all fantasy series until I encountered Sanderson, and I was extremely pleased that he defied so many cliches of the genre. It is only thanks to him that I am reading fantasy again, and even so...the only fantasy I'm reading is Sanderson.

Ergo I will recommend books of other genres:

In non-fiction, I thoroughly enjoyed three of Malcolm Gladwell's books: Tipping Point, Blink and Outliers. Those are actual page-turners in non-fiction.

In science fiction, my favorite of all time (yes, including Herbert, Asimov, Heinlein, other greats) was the Hyperion & Endymion tetrology by Dan Simmons. I can't say I'm a fan of Simmons' other work, but these four blew my mind. (The first isn't all that impressive until you reread it in context of its sequel, unless you treat it up front as a short story collection, in which case it's damn good.)

I really enjoyed HOLES by Lewis Sachar, though it is marketed as a children's book, it's just a really good book that's easy to read.

I also enjoyed FIGHT CLUB, though the author says the movie was actually better, for anyone who is looking for things to read, FIGHT CLUB is great.

A must-read for every person on earth is The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. I have read that book at least 50 times. (And please forget everything you think you know about it from the movie. The movie did not include such minor plot points as Bastion and Atreyu at war with each other over the Ivory Tower -- forgive the spoiler, but I'm hoping it works as a hook.)