Author Topic: Recommend a book  (Read 19571 times)

Golden Dragon

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Recommend a book
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:17:55 AM »
Hi all,

I am almost done reading ToM, so I'll need something new to read!  Please recommend a good fantasy series for me to read while I await more Way of Kings, Wheel of Time, and Mistborn!

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a book
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 05:34:42 AM »
Have you read Jim Butcher's stuff? Both The Dresden Files  (urban fantasy) and Codex Alera (traditional fantasy) are good stuff.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:56:08 AM »
Hmmm... hard to think of anything that's quite like Brandon...

Easier to just think of generally good books I've enjoyed lately. Anything by Terry Pratchett is good stuff, though your mileage may vary depending on your enjoyment of witty prose and fantasy satire. Brandon & Howard have been pimping the Tiffany Aching books especially of late (and deservedly so, because they are frickin' awesome), but I usually tell people to start with Small Gods or Guards! Guards!.

I've been listening to Westerfeld's Leviathan on audiobook and enjoying the hell out of it. Reading John Scalzi's Agent to the Stars, just finished David Wong's John Dies at the End and I expect next I'll move on to China Meiville's The City and The City.

I'd recommend any of those (well... still reading the Scalzi and I haven't gotten to the Meiville, but I like what I've read so far and I've enjoyed everything else Scalzi or Meiville have written. Check out Old Man's War or Perdido Street Station, respectively).

I especially like the illustrations in the print edition of  Leviathan, it's Keith Thompson's work and it's absolutely brilliant.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:58:53 AM by Inkthinker »

Bejay

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:19:23 PM »
Take a look at Michael A. Stackpoles "Age of Discovery" triology, it has some nice ideas and I enjoyed it.

CyberSpren

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Hi all,

I am almost done reading ToM, so I'll need something new to read!  Please recommend a good fantasy series for me to read while I await more Way of Kings, Wheel of Time, and Mistborn!

My fantasy reads (or re-reads) over the last year...in whole or in part
A Song of Ice and Fire
Locke Lamora
Name of the Wind
Abhorsen Series
Stormlight Archives
Wheel of Time
Vlad Taltos novels
Dresden files
Felix Castor Novels
Mistborn

For some reason, WoK put me in mind of Greg bear's only(?) fantasy series, 'The Infinity Concerto' and 'The Serpent Mage.'  I think they were later combined into 'Songs of Earth and Power'  As it is closer to what eventually became Urban Fantasy, I am not sure why I make the association.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:50:40 PM »
These guys have some pretty good suggestions to follow:

http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

And I'll plug my favorite:  Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

papaholmz

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Lovely, Dark, & Deep
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 02:46:13 AM »
I'll put in a strong recommendation for The Black Company series by Glen Cook. Very different from Sanderson, Jordan, or Martin but VERY well worth a read; they are excellent books.

Golden Dragon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 03:05:26 AM »
These guys have some pretty good suggestions to follow:

http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

And I'll plug my favorite:  Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet.

Thanks for this link!  I am finding some good books to try out.

SamuelR

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 03:29:20 AM »
If you haven't already, you absoutely must read A Song Of Ice And Fire by George R R Martin. One of the best fantasy series' around today, no doubt.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 07:59:25 AM »
I highly recommend the Runelords series by David Farland and Dhampir by Barb and J.C. Hendee.  They're fantastic!

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 01:48:57 PM »
If you haven't already, you absoutely must read A Song Of Ice And Fire by George R R Martin. One of the best fantasy series' around today, no doubt.

Truth for the win!

Bejay

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 03:34:01 PM »
I highly recommend the Runelords series by David Farland and Dhampir by Barb and J.C. Hendee.  They're fantastic!

I second the Runelords!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 05:39:20 AM »
I'll throw in for "Runelords" as well. He's a good choice for someone who's books are kinda like Brandon's, but very different... fantasy that's tinged by contemporary influences, magic with solid rules, really good action... yeah, Farland is a good recommendation for a Sanderson fan.

EvilNuff

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 12:17:07 AM »
Anything by David Gemmell.  In particular the Drenai series which isn't so much a series but a series of books set in the same world.  I suggest starting with Legend.

Other favorites:
Dave Duncan books, the 7th sword series and the A man of his word series.
I like the GRRM books A song of ice and fire series, but he's never going to finish it so I strongly recommend NOT reading them until/if he finishes the series.  Trust me you'll be angry otherwise.
The Trudi Canavan magician books are great as well though lighter fare.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 12:19:14 AM by EvilNuff »

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 01:00:35 AM »
There are a lot of good "lighter" series out there, if you want to take a break from really heavy series like Wheel of Time.  Ender's Game is a VERY good book, although not fantasy (more of a sci-fi) it is an extremely good read that I feel obligated to recommend to everyone I ever meet.  The core Dragonlance series is very good, although light, compared to Wheel of Time, or any of Sanderson's books. 

For anyone a little younger, like me, I'd go with the Pendragon series.  It has that ring of a "teen" series, but the ideas and fantasy behind it are quite amazing.  Even some adults would probably be very interested in it, and you could bust through the series in a few weeks.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.