Author Topic: The meaning of "rant"  (Read 8114 times)

Sminja

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
Re: The meaning of "rant"
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2004, 05:19:42 PM »
Yeah, that's true. BTW, SE, did you run out of level titles?
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2004, 05:25:56 PM »
Yeah, I did. It happens to me frequently.  EUOL has a hard time keeping up with me. You'll see new ones soon.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2004, 06:13:14 PM »
Heck, I do nothing at school all day, give me a list of whats already been done and I can have up to level 200, at least, by the end of the week!
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2004, 06:41:22 PM »
So, if you lose 10 duels you get "Big Loser" on your title, does that mean someone of a higer level could choose to duel you 10 times just to be mean?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2004, 06:59:05 PM »
Don't think so, I duel when I am bored and often beat those of a higher level.  As long as they're not overwhemingly high...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2004, 07:19:36 PM »
I'd personally make it so that it had to be 10 different people, or 5 different at least.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2004, 08:26:43 PM »
Yeah, there's a lot of things I still need to do with the dueling thing.  As for switching forums, well, I'm kind of against it (but only because it would mean more work for me.)  However, Tage explained to me once that it was probably inevitable, so I've pretty much come to grips with it.  It would require me to learn PhP.  However, I could probably (eventually) put everyone back at their current post count and level.

But, for right now, here are some classes for SE.  So nice to have FTP access back....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 08:32:31 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2004, 10:05:14 PM »
yay!
I shouldn't be hard to restore post counts. Simple Machines is essentially YaBB v.3. It should upgrade.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2004, 10:15:39 PM »
Postcounts wouldn't be tough.  However, if we switch to PhP, the whole level-up system and dueling cgi are going to be lost.  I realize no one pays much attention to them, but eventually--hopefully--they will be an interesting part of the forum.

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2004, 10:16:00 PM »
I commend you on your work, EUOL...btw, are you like the technical dude for this site? Judging from all your posts, I would say yes...
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2004, 10:48:04 PM »
Eh.  The real technical guy is Tage.  I just poke around with code occasionally and see what I turn up.  Any serious problems have to be directed to him.

However, I maintain the levels and titles.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2004, 12:49:08 AM »
Gorgon, you should keep in mind that some of us are just lazy and don't level up. I haven't leveled since 16 or something, and I don't think Saint has leveled recently either.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2004, 03:38:55 AM »
this is a peral Yabb that dosen't use a database so switch to simplemachines will wipe everything.  I do think that useing PHP will make the leveling up and dueling better, and PHP is easier to use the perl in my opinion.  The think I'm most against on switching forums is that we'll loose all our old posts and data.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2004, 07:29:59 AM »
Well, there WAS an upgrade from YaBB Gold to YaBB SE, and SE is also a PHP/SQL forum. I don't see why goign to SM will make it impossible to port that information. I'd bet they'll do something, since it is, after all, the same designers

MoD, my last level up was at like, level 20. Then Tage forcibly changed my nick (twice) which screwed up my class. When it finally got changed back, I have no leveled information. i can do anything with it I want. When/if the duel system is finalized, I may actually level again

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2004, 07:39:21 AM »
this version of the forum we're currently useing dosen't store the topics in a Data base.  While all the new ones do.  So unless Tage manualy adds them all to the DB we'll loose them.  And I highly doubt any of you will beable to convince him to do so.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.