Author Topic: Must...have...ipod...  (Read 9027 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Must...have...ipod...
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2004, 09:46:36 PM »
Lol.  Well, that's a reasonable way to look at it.  I, personally, would never buy a Mac computer.  The Ipod, I'm afraid, is quite superior.  Makes me wish I hadn't wasted three hundred bucks on a Creative Labs Mp3 player.

However, you're allowed to hate Mac.  Seems like a healthy sentiment, for some reason.  Just make certain you hate Windows too--ya know, for balance.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2004, 09:49:39 PM »
Oh, I don't like windows either.  Its just that I know it is immensley superior to Macs :)

And hadn't you noticed, I'm a reasonable person... occaisionally.
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2004, 09:53:02 PM »
Mac's are fun.
Mac's are pricey.
Mac's are all that one might want.

But if you fret,
And jam your butter,
Don't hustle the Mac,
For they aren't all that bad.

So in the end we all can win,
Or at least look good doing so.
To each his own, and more the plenty,
Eat at McDonalds.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Master Xaio

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2004, 09:56:12 PM »
BIG MAC!!!!!!

And you are sadly disillusioned and corrupted...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2004, 10:01:13 PM »
if it continues, i'll officially request this thread gets closed. Platform "discussions" always end up with both sides angry and both sides looking like complete morons. And it never takes long to get there.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2004, 11:24:06 PM »
Im not angry, but I would like to know why the computer someone uses is A.)anyone elses buisness and B.) Important to them in any way.

Outcast, what did you hope to accomplish by bringing up that you think Mac's suck?
You either wanted to insult me, or to be rude. Of the two you managed to accomplish the second, because I cant be insulted by someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. So you don't like Mac's, and you think they arn't fast enough or powerful enough... great you can feel that way all you want, but reason and good taste dictate that you should keep it to yourself, just like you would keep it to yourself if you didn't like someones blender, or watch or even car. Unless you know them of course... maybe then it could be ok.
I don't know or care what OS you use and certainly wont make fun of it. I like my Mac and find it adequate to my needs. I tend to agree with Euol about the luury car aspect of owning an apple I like that I can use a Mac for 5-10 years and still have it supported by the company and do the things I need it to do.
And five minutes to start up and log on? Maybe in 1993 but not today. My computer takes a grand total of a minute and a half to completly boot from a cold shutdown, not that I have had to shut it down yet with its instant sleep feature that takes 5 seconds to come back up(Unlike my Dell).  Large programs like Quark express or pagemaker come up for me in less than 30 seconds and hey if I need to use an application that is availible for only the PC I can use WinPC (a windows emulator) Plus Im fond of my six hour battery.

Anyhow I like what I use.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 11:32:31 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Master Xaio

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2004, 11:51:00 PM »
I wasn't trying to be rude, I was trying to make a joke and a point.  It got out of hand after that.

I would suggest we leave it at this instead of continuing to throw pointless insults at each other.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2004, 12:04:01 AM »
So saying that Macs suck was a joke? Im sorry if I dont belive you, but untill now you havent indicated at any point that you were joking, in fact you kept giving evidence that Mac's were in some way bad or inferior to everything else (not something that someone who is joking would be likely to do). I havent insulted you. I have pointed out that your being rude so dont act like its my fault that this conversation got off on the wrong foot.
My main point that I've been trying to get you to pay attention to is that there is no need to be a computer bigot. It should not matter if I use an Apple, a Sun system, a computer I soldered out of paperclips and spit, a Dell or Gateway or an old TRS-80, because it isn't your machine. Saying to someone that you think their computer is "crap" is rude and if the person also doesn't know you they may be inclined to think you are being rude (even if your just joking)

Master Xaio

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2004, 12:06:00 AM »
Look, I'm sorry if I offended you, k? This was meant to be a harmless comment, but it got out of hand.  Now pls get over it.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2004, 12:08:28 AM »
Im not upset. Hopped up on the goddess caffine but not upset.  

Master Xaio

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2004, 12:12:56 AM »
Coffee.... Gloria Jeans Coffee....Coffee... Meaning of life... Coffee....

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2004, 12:13:37 AM »
Coca-Cola, dont drink coffee anymore :)

Master Xaio

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2004, 12:17:33 AM »
There was no life before coffee.  Coffee is the ultimate.  

But coke is cool 2 :)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2004, 02:45:17 AM »
My 2 cents on why I don't care for macs as much.  Before OS7 came out (about 98 or 99 I beleave) mac had a problem that there were 3 seperate operating systems that tried to run things.  It was kinda like haveing duel prossesors in some ways.  These 3 seperate OSs are one of the main reasons macs ran editing software so well back then, the complex tasks involved could be split between the 3.  The problems came when you tried to run programs that didn't take that much memory and prossesor power, the machines would crash like nothing else.  Also they would fight for resources so they would eat up memory more then they should (thats a big reason why macs had huge amounts of RAM, to handle the 3 OSs)  I've used macs all thoughout junior high and highschool (so I've used macs from the early ones through Power Macs) and I can tell you I never used something that could handle editing software so yet couldn't handle a wordprossesor.  Now a days there's little difference between how well a Mac runs a program and a PC does.  The reason why I don't have a mac or Ipod is lets face it, Mac users are usealy are elietists and think they're better then anyone else.  It doesn't help that most of the PC users who bash macs do it soly becasue they're not gamming machines.  But I will never buy a apple machine not becasue of the product but becasue of the people that use them.  This is nothing towords you Jeffe, but just about anyone else I know that has one.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2004, 07:22:27 AM »
Thats like saying Windows 95 was unstable and clunky when it was first released though Spriggan, or that DOS was hard for a lot of people to operate. Those OS's are long gone, and we cant afford to think that just because it was that way at one time that its still that way. I mean early Windows Software ran on an MS-DOS framework (thats two OS's right there) and had a lot of trouble handling software. But now they've grown up. Thank the maker too because those were crappy days.
Im using OS X which is basically UNIX and which does a brilliant job. But a reason that Mac users do get ticked off a lot and seem "eliteist" is that PC users keep telling them utter garbage like it takes 5 minutes to boot up and another 5 to log on to a Mac. Or says that Macs are toys, or says that Macs are just for Graphic Artists, or Says that any file you put on a mac will be stuck there, or say that you can use a lot of programs you can. Its frustrating because none of its true and when we say anything about it, its hard to not get animated about how wrong the people are.
These are often the same people who forget Apple created the first useable mouse for under 500 dollars, the first GUI, were the first computers to solely use CD R/RW drives, come with flat panels, come with Graphics, come with sound and dozens of other firsts like truetype fonts and PDF's (Im talking about apples and Macs by the way)
People used to make fun of Mac by saying they were only good FOR playing games, and so when the computing world flip flopped Mac became good only for "Graphic arts" and "Word Processing" and running "Technical Software"
But the thing is that a lot of the software runs smoother on an Apple machine because a lot of it is designed by the people who physically built the machine, not because its better, but because the designers knew the machine better.
My word processer (Appleworks) not only publishes in Appleworks format, but Word, Wordperfect, PDF and a half dozen other formats. I can format a disk for the PC or Mac on my system and read both. My computer has comprable speed to a Win based PC and it looks nice. So when I or other Mac users get told that our computer doesnt work, when in fact we know it does quite well, its frustrating and a little hard for us to not seem frustrated by the remarks in the first place. Sure Apple does boneheaded things sometimes (LISA) and sometimes things they invent don't catch on right away (Newton) but people need to recognize that sometimes they also swing a home run (EMAC, Powerbook,OSX, IPOD) and sometimes they just bunt (IMAC, G4 Cube).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 07:37:54 AM by ElJeffe »