Author Topic: knights radient  (Read 15987 times)

echigo109

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
knights radient
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:07:15 AM »
So did each of the orders of the knights radient have there own magic system?
If so What all are they... as of now i know of surgebinding and the unnamed soulcasting one.

jkincaid

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: knights radient
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:37:15 AM »
According to Brandon in interviews each of the orders incorporated two systems of magic that they used.  I'm not sure if each order had exclusive rights to whatever systems they used or if there was any overlapping.  Szeth can Surgebind (right?) and I just sort of assumed that's what Kaladin was doing.  Or maybe Kaladin was using a different system that has abilities that are similar but has differences as well.  And so would Szeth and Kaladin end up in the same order?  And we could assume that they'd both have the ability to use a second system of magic as well. 

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:24:16 AM »
Unless Szeth is using a fabrial.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

jkincaid

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 12:48:21 PM »
Well there was no hint of him using a fabrial anywhere that I can recall.  He inhaled the stormlight in the same way that Kaladin did later on, so he seemed to be using it the same way. 

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »
The theories are out there, based on the fact that we never see Szeth's spren. When I mention fabrial, I probably don't mean fabrial like we see in the eastern countries (i.e. Navani's notebook), but a different version possibly created by the stone shamans, and linked to stone rather than a gem. Strictly speaking its not really a fabrial, but I know of no better word.

Unfortunately, we have no real evidence, just wild speculation. I just thought I'd throw it in there to make you aware, and just for a bit of discussion.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

jkincaid

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 02:59:21 AM »
Yeah that's a good point.  I know I've seen a bit of speculation about the fact that Szeth is Truthless, having an Oathstone, and Kaladin having an honorspren that is connected to his access to his powers.  However Szeth seems to have attained his honor, at least to me.  However I don't see how an honor spren would consider murdering innocent people honorable because someone dishonorable holds the Oathstone that binds Szeth's honor.  I really wish we had more info here, is the next book out yet  :P

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
The problem with honour is that it honour, as we are dealing with it here, is up to philosophical debate. Just because you kill some people, does that make you honourable. Some cultures would believe so, others would not.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 09:08:21 AM »
Yeah that's a good point.  I know I've seen a bit of speculation about the fact that Szeth is Truthless, having an Oathstone, and Kaladin having an honorspren that is connected to his access to his powers.  However Szeth seems to have attained his honor, at least to me.  However I don't see how an honor spren would consider murdering innocent people honorable because someone dishonorable holds the Oathstone that binds Szeth's honor.  I really wish we had more info here, is the next book out yet  :P
He is honouring his oaths by doing whatever is required of him.

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 01:04:49 AM »
HAHA wow... I ask a question and it is taken into a debate about szeth

krylea

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 01:48:05 AM »
Do we think that Szeth and Kaladin belong to the same order of the Radiants? They definitely both seem honourable, but i thought since there were going to be ~10 major characters and 10 orders that each would belong to a different order.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 01:52:57 AM »
Maybe. In fact most likely as they both seem to be honourable, though in different ways. (This assumption only works though if each order has a different type of spren. If honourspren could bond with more than one type of order, then this would not hold.)

However, since one magic system is spread over 2 orders of knights, its really to early to tell. If they share a common second magic system, then we will know for definite.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Amphictyon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 09:16:19 AM »
You're forgetting that a connection between man and spren doesn't necessarily mean man and honorspren.  It's been stated that it could be another type of spren, maybe flame, rot, death, wind etc... So if that is the case who know what other kind of powers there could be.  We've seen a surgebinders powers as far as windrunning used by Kaladin and Szeth, the lashing and so on but I don't think we've seen everything yet.  The powers that Kaladin and Szeth are almost unheard of and not much is known.  Only one character had even a slight idea of what Kaladin was doing and he came from a family who was passing the knowledge down through the generations.  As far as Szeth having his powers through his oathstone I'm not so sure about that.  He has never actually had it in his possession, only his masters have.  Now he could be connected to it and have powers that way, but it sounds like that would be a first as every fabrial or magical type item, from shards to lanterns, have had to be touched in some way to be manipulated. 

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
Code: [Select]
Rule No. 1 of forums: Relation to the original topic decreases with every single post.

Galavantes

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 11:45:17 AM »
Code: [Select]
Rule No. 1 of forums: Relation to the original topic decreases with every single post.
How about them jets

EvilNuff

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 01:45:48 PM »
Szeth does not have powers through his oathstone, all Shin warriors have oathstones:
“Shin are a curious folk,” he said. “Here, warriors are the lowliest of men—kind of like slaves. Men trade and sell them between houses by way of little stones that signify ownership, and any man who picks up a weapon must join them and be treated the same. The fellow in the fancy robe? He’s a farmer.”

If you pick up a weapon, powers or not, you have an oathstone.