Author Topic: The Ten Focus Characters of the 10 SA Books  (Read 11155 times)

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
Re: The Ten Focus Characters of the 10 SA Books
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 06:45:57 AM »
I just listened to the interview, and no, it doesn't say anything about the title of the next book.  But someone should transcribe it.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 06:25:24 PM »
I think the next Kaladin book will be more of a collective bridge four book, with a bigger emphasis on Kaladin

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 07:36:24 PM »
The only thing I can see happening with giving Kaladin more flashbacks is that it's the last book and we're looking back at things he's done throughout the series that we didn't see because we were in someone else's head at the time.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
There is a period of time that we haven't seen flashbacks for, everything between Kaladin joining the army and the day Senn dies. (Except for the small flashback when Tien dies.) He makes references to various things that happen during that time, such as Tukks and the Takers, a woman named Tarah, etc. Plus maybe something interesting happened in his first eight months as a slave.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 10:03:42 PM »
 >:(  Stop it, Peter!  I don't want to want another Kaladin book!  I want lots of people to get books!  And you're there, trying to sway my allegiances and kind of succeeding, so stop it!

nomti

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 10:05:49 PM »
Szeth gets a book. Jasnah gets a book. Talanel is not confirmed to get a book, but I certainly want it to happen.

Your wish is granted.  From the interview with Stomping on Yeti:

So you’ve seen pretty much everybody. Now, at this point there are several who are major viewpoint characters for the series who we have not had many or any viewpoints from yet--Jasnah is one, a character who shows up in the epilogue is another, and there are a few others--but there are in my mind essentially eight or ten major characters in this series, and it will stick to that.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 11:52:46 PM »
I hadn't heard that for the title of the Shallan book. Is that in the new interview? Someone should transcribe that.

If someone wants to, we'll post it to the blog and give said person credit. I think it safe to say that everyone on the staff is too busy at the moment, myself included.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Guinevere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 01:16:01 AM »
Has anyone thought about the idea that we may get more POV from Kalak?  Or Jezrien?  Pretty much any of the Heralds could come back and fill us in.  Though, in the end, I'd prefer it to be Talanel, especially since I'd like to see him kick those traitor's butts.

wolverinehokie

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 01:49:08 AM »
Brandon said that we've already met each of the viewpoint characters, and that he's not sure if the next book is going to be a Dalinar book or a Shallan book. 
I'm just glad that means Dalinar will be alive in book 3.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 10:48:20 PM »
He could be alive in flashbacks and a ghost in the present.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

zarepath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 04:57:31 PM »
Peter: Now you're just being mean.

I just wanted to mention, about Talenel, that in the prelude he's described as the Herald who always went where the fight was worst and the chances were smallest.  They say he had a thing for lost causes.  Sounds like an interesting character to have in the series to me.

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 05:55:32 PM »
More specifically, Kalak says he has a knack for facing seemingly impossible odds and winning.
He just has this annoying habit of dying while doing it.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 01:25:49 AM »
More specifically, Kalak says he has a knack for facing seemingly impossible odds and winning.
He just has this annoying habit of dying while doing it.

Taln almost sounds like Kaladin, facing impossible odd and winning. Except Kaladin survives while everyone else dies.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Xavien

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 07:02:32 PM »
I think the next Kaladin book will be more of a collective bridge four book, with a bigger emphasis on Kaladin

I wouldn't mind a Bridge Four book either, while many of them may not fall under the "major viewpoint character" heading, I wouldn't mind learning the back stories of Teft, Rock, Moash, Sizgil and Lopen.  And while they were very short, we did see a little of Teft as a viewpoint character already, and with his role with the Envisagers I would say he could be a candidate for a book or at least an expanded viewpoint.

I also don't trust Moash yet  :)

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »
I think we should stick to the 10~ main characters, and just hope that Brandon does spinoff series with the more interesting characters who were NOT one of the 10.  I'd very much enjoy reading backstories, but I'd enjoy more to forward the story with backstories (I don't need a backstory on Axies if he isn't going to be relevant at all, but I'd LOVE to know about him). 

Essentially, Brandon should stick to the 10 characters he has in mind, and we should all hope/pray/bug him endlessly in the hopes that he might do spin off series (or stand alone books) for the characters we loved at the end of the series. 
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.