Author Topic: Hoid's Shard abilities in WoK (minor spoilers)  (Read 5362 times)

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
Re: Hoid's Shard abilities in WoK (minor spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 02:31:19 AM »
Maybe he started out as a thought, a concept, and then he took the body of whoever it is in Dragonsteel. He uses the body to communicate, and the body's mind has fused with the concept's own. (Sort of like the relationship between shardholders and shards)

schmiddynick

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 03:25:26 AM »
what if Hoid is a direct part of Adonalsium.. sort of like ruin and preservation were split into 3 parts on Scadriel. what is the same side-effect of these shards being split is exactly what happened to adonalsium and hoid is just one of these components

nikitakit

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 08:57:15 AM »
I think Hoid existing in Shadesmar is a pretty good theory. The possibility of pseudo-reincarnation made me think of the beginning of "The Liar of Partinel" (Dragonsteel). And isn't Dragonsteel the second planned series (besides the Stormlight Archive) that's supposed to feature Hoid's backstory?

Morsker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 10:27:09 PM »
I can't think Brandon would create this universe, with the Shards of Adonalsium and all their separate magic systems, just to have Hoid try to undo the whole universe. That sounds so self-defeating.

So I think Hoid wants a compromise, gathering a bit of all the Shards so he can be a Wizard of Everything instead of a Shard of One Thing, and travel between the worlds telling stories, and maybe serve as a mediator if some Shardholders become dangerous. But he doesn't want to merge them all together completely.

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 03:54:40 AM »
Yeah, the real magic (to me) is that Adonalsium should never be reassembled (if it's even possible).  So much has come from its split -- an entire cosmos, in fact.  So I don't like the idea that Hoid wants to reunite it.  But I DO think he has a vested interest in protecting all of its pieces.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:56:43 AM by Pechvarry »

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 04:00:15 AM »
I think Hoid's main role is to keep balance between the shards.

He helps restore Elantris.
He helps overthrow the Final Empire, which leads to the release of Ruin, but then Ati and Leras are both killed, and their shards given to another who would be able to keep the balance between the two.
Helps stop the destruction of the Returned and other kingdoms.
He helps the people of Roshar try and stop the dominating reign of Odium (I assume).

To me he is not supporting one shard, or even trying the reunite the shards. Instead he is ensuring that no shard becomes dominant over all others. There seems to be a balance which is restored at the end of all Brandon's books.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
great minds think alike eh?
I guess...  ;D
To me he is not supporting one shard, or even trying the reunite the shards. Instead he is ensuring that no shard becomes dominant over all others. There seems to be a balance which is restored at the end of all Brandon's books.
That sounds about right...