Author Topic: The Almighty and Shu-Keseg *Elantris and WoK spoilers*  (Read 2261 times)

Stormblessed

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
The Almighty and Shu-Keseg *Elantris and WoK spoilers*
« on: September 30, 2010, 01:09:59 PM »
One day an old wise Jindo man came upon an idea 'Unity'. What resulted were the religions of Shu-Keseg, Shu-Dereth and Shu-Korath, all preaching different types of unity. Where did this idea come from? Was it just from the contemplations of an old man, or was a shard involved?

We know from WoK that unity is very important to the Almighty. Some have even speculated that the Almighty's shard is based on unity (of course, the other more popular theory is of transformation). That aside though, is there some relation between the two? Is it possible that in the Cosmere somewhere, there is a shard of unity that made a brief or extended visit to Sel?
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
Re: The Almighty and Shu-Keseg *Elantris and WoK spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 01:26:37 PM »
Maybe Keseg/Unity split (sort of like Sazed put two of them together) into the Aona-shard and the Skaze-shard. Or maybe the Jindo man knew about Adonalsium (or had a sliver of knowledge about him), and was trying to show this to people. Or maybe the Jindo was Hoid.

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:46:41 PM »
The idea of a Unity shard - the embodiment of the ideal - splitting, is more than a little ironic.  That is all.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:41:16 PM »
The idea of a Unity shard - the embodiment of the ideal - splitting, is more than a little ironic.  That is all.

Lol.  Thats what I was thinking.  Although, I wouldn't put it past Brandon :p
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 12:04:50 AM »
This looks like a good place to ask people to be on the lookout for the word 'derethi' while reading WoK. I'm pretty sure I came across it somewhere and stared at it for a good long time before deciding to move on to other things. Could be nothing.

BlueRuin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 04:33:23 AM »
This looks like a good place to ask people to be on the lookout for the word 'derethi' while reading WoK. I'm pretty sure I came across it somewhere and stared at it for a good long time before deciding to move on to other things. Could be nothing.

Chapter 57. Hoid mentions Derethil.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »

Chapter 57. Hoid mentions Derethil.

I think Derethil is a coincidence. The religion Derethi is based on the teachings of Dereth, and really has nothing to do with the story of Derethil.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

BlueRuin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 03:02:33 AM »
I think Derethil is a coincidence. The religion Derethi is based on the teachings of Dereth, and really has nothing to do with the story of Derethil.

Good to know. I've just started reading Elantris (I'm on chapter 7) and have been trying to figure out how they fit.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 03:04:31 AM by BlueRuin »