Author Topic: Is stormlight sentient?? (major spoilers)  (Read 7448 times)

Stormblessed

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Is stormlight sentient?? (major spoilers)
« on: September 24, 2010, 10:03:26 AM »
At first I thought stormlight was akin to the Dor, a force of nature, possibly the raw power of Adonalsium. But then I re-read this part in Chapter 45.

You want me to change? a warm voice said in her mind, distinct and different from the cold whisper she had heard earlier. It was deep and hollow and conveyed a sense of great age. It seemed to come from her hand, and she realised she was grasping something there. One of the beads.

The movement of the ocean of glass threatened to tow her down; she kicked frantically, somehow managing to stay afloat.

I've been as I am for a great long time, the warm voice said. I sleep so much. I will change. Give me what you have.

Basically, I believe that it was the stormlight that was talking to her.

I have a few theories on what it is.

Firstly, we know that stormlight only comes from high storms, and that high storms originate in one place. In that place must be some sort of sentient being that infuses highstorms with its essence (which is the stormlight). The face that Kaladin sees in the high storm, along with the mysterious voice announcing Odium's reign is probably linked with this being.

Its possible that this being is a shard. Of all the shards on Roshar, it is most likely to be the Almighty. But we know that the Almighty was killed by Odium. And since Odium splintered Aona and Skai, he probably did the same to the Almighty's shard. I think that the stormlight is a splinter of the Almighty's shard, which is why it has sentience, and that the Almighty originally resided in the place where storm start, and that is why his splinters still linger there.

(I also think Jezrien also fits into this somehow, but I don't want to overcomplicate this theory yet.)
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Never

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: Is stormlight sentient?? (major spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 10:12:57 AM »
She was talking to the spren of the goblet. That's why the goblet changed to blood.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:16:32 AM »
She was talking to the spren of the goblet. That's why the goblet changed to blood.

But the voice came from the stormlight infused gem, not the goblet. Apart from that I would agree with you there.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 11:00:04 AM »
She might have been talking to the spren trapped in the infused sphere.

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 11:05:54 AM »
It seemed to come from her hand, and she realised she was grasping something there. One of the beads
One of the beads
One of the beads she was drowning on.  :-\

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »
It seemed to come from her hand, and she realised she was grasping something there. One of the beads
One of the beads
One of the beads she was drowning on.  :-\

I assume she was holding one the the currency gems, which was infused in stormlight.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 05:47:04 PM »
well Kaladin did see a face in the storm, I suppose they could be the physical manifestation of one of the shards, in fact it seems plausible now that I think on it

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 05:51:55 PM »
No, the beads in Shadesmar weren't all currency gems. She was drowning in a see of them, but there was one in her hand, specifically, the thing she was touching in the Physical Realm, the goblet. (She wasn't touching her currency gems, as they were in her Safepouch I believe.) She communicated with the goblet's somewhat intelligent manifestation in the Cognitive realm, which was represented by a bead. She asked the bead to change (unintentionally), and gave it stormlight in order to do so.
Soulcasting is essentially bribing the conscious representation of items (their spren, perhaps?) in order to make them change form.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »
It could also be Cultivation.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 07:33:35 PM »
"I will change. Give me what you have." I'm pretty sure the "what you have" is the stormlight as opposed to the stormlight being what she's talking to.

If she's talking to the stormlight what does she give it?

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 08:50:46 PM »
She communicated with the goblet's somewhat intelligent manifestation in the Cognitive realm, which was represented by a bead.
thats really interesting, if everything is represented in the cognitive realm, and the greater the cognitive ability, the greater the representation, so a goblet with little or no intelligence is represented by a bead.  Its interesting, just not particularly important

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 09:00:20 PM »
She communicated with the goblet's somewhat intelligent manifestation in the Cognitive realm, which was represented by a bead.
thats really interesting, if everything is represented in the cognitive realm, and the greater the cognitive ability, the greater the representation, so a goblet with little or no intelligence is represented by a bead.  Its interesting, just not particularly important

That makes total sense, with the greater the intelligence, the greater the representation.
Of course, that begs the question, what does the cold sun in the cognitive realm represent?

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
the real sun? or maybe some shard or another...how cool would it be if that was Hoid

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 01:30:22 AM »
I think someone in another thread stated that spheres have Spren trapped inside.  While I'm not sure if its true by Brandon's standpoint, the evidence they gave made it sound very likely.  And since we already know spren can speak, I would assume that that might be what was speaking to Shallan.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 03:44:23 AM »
I wonder if there are Stormspren.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.