Poll

Would you like to have a dedicated, passworded FTP site for submitted work?

Yes
6 (60%)
No
2 (20%)
I'm indifferent, but i like voting.
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: October 24, 2010, 04:23:30 AM

Author Topic: A poll concerning previous submissions  (Read 2169 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
A poll concerning previous submissions
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:23:30 AM »
Hi, all!

I got through speaking a bit to Silk about this possibility, and I wanted to get everyone's opinion. I have some webspace i would be more than willing to setup an FTP site on so that we can have an archive and dedicated location for all submitted works. This won't be a public page, so no one will be able to access it just randomly off the web and thus steal your work.

Anyways, i just wanted to offer this up for everyone as an idea, see who likes it, who doesn't, etc. I have more than enough hosting space and bandwidth to do so, so i wanted to see what everyone though, so vote, and comment or suggest other ideas if you want!

Also, with it setup as an FTP site, on a windows (not sure about other OS's but probably can, never tried) PC you can map it onto your PC so it shows just like a drive and/or folder.
--Ee

Edit: oh, also, FYI, the poll is open for a month, so you have that long to think, discuss, etc.

Also, since there are people who will be against it (2 as of posting this) it can obviously be an optional thing to include your work in the archive.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 03:57:56 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
Re: A poll concerning previous submissions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 08:10:28 PM »
Do you think you could start this up now and put your work on it? That way we could have an idea of what it would look like.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:51:38 AM »
Do you think you could start this up now and put your work on it? That way we could have an idea of what it would look like.

Well, actually, I wasn't planning any sort of web interface, I figured that would be more covert. Instead, it would be utilized using any preferred method of FTP. If we do it, then i'll post a write up of how to map FTP as a shortcut to a windows XP/vista/7 machine, but other than that, you could use any FTP software you prefer (like cuteFTP or FireFTP or something).

If there's enough interest, we could look into doing some kind of web interface, but as for "how it would look", it would look like whatever FTP method you use. Me, personally, like i said, i map it as a shortcut, which I suppose I'll post some screenshots here to show you what it looks like (but its gonna look like a windows browser)

As you can see, when i have a windows browser window open, on the left, i have an FTP link. Anytime i click on it, it auto connects to my FTP site, and I see a list of all the files contained there. So if we did this with our works, it would just look like a collective folder of document files, and wouldnt really require you downloading them or anything, you could just run em from there. This way, anyone who joins wouldn't have to ask for anyone's work who has it in the archive, and you wouldnt have to worry if you lost a certain email or something, and you wouldn't have to worry about saving and organizing em yourself. To me, it just seems like a nice, simple solution, ya know?

Anyways, like i said, if there's interest in making some sort of web interface, it could certainly be done, but that's up to everyone. I don't want to change or do something that no one else wants, ya know? It's not my work, its all you guys', so you all have the final say in what goes on here, i'm just offering this up because i have it, and i could put it to good use for us.

Edit: Also - To the nay sayers, could you be so kind as to voice your opinions/concerns/reasons? I'm just curious about the reasons for NOT wanting, even if it's just something as simple as thinking it isn't really necessary or something.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 04:03:40 AM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 06:11:04 AM »
I think this is probably clear already, but in case it's not I should mention that we're not thinking of changing the submission process itself. This would be an additional feature: Those who are interested/willing put their work in the FTP archive, and those who want to access submissions from back before they joined can do so without everybody having to play email tag.

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:16:35 AM »
You kids with your Myfaces and Youspaces...  ::)

I guess there's no harm in the ftp-thingy, as long as it remains completely optional. But we didn't have any of that ftp-stuff in my time, so I voted 'no' on principle. Now get off my lawn!

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 06:36:30 AM »
For the record, FTP is actually older than MyFace or YourFace.

...oh, wait...

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 03:40:34 AM »
I'm definitely interested in the concept, but I'm a little iffy on whether I could run it on my laptop since I have a Mac (not having dealt with FTP before)  Your description seems to imply a 'Windows Only' type thing, and though I can run Windows on my machine, I much prefer not having to.  It just makes things more complicated than strictly necessary.
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 04:19:20 AM »
I don't use a Mac, but I can't imagine it would be particularly difficult to find an FTP client that runs on Macs. The use of FTP is too wide-spread.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:36:42 AM by Silk »

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 04:34:38 AM »
Thanks, I'll have to check it out.
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »
I don't use a Mac, but I can't imagine it would be particularly difficult to find an FTP client that runs on Macs. The use of FTP is too wide-spread.

oh yeah. There's FTP clients for all OS's, that's not a big deal. But mapping it as a shortcut on your desktop is what I dont know about on other systems. I know windows can do it, just not sure about other OS's. Heck, if you can download files from the internet, then your system can do FTP, because really that's all it is (it stands for file transfer protocol), there's just, at this time, no plan for a web interface in front of it.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard