Local Authors > Brandon Sanderson

Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)

<< < (3/31) > >>

atlas689:
I did a small little pixel art of Kaladin in some Shardplate. I know that he doesnt have any Plate yet, but its bound to happen!  :P

Inkthinker:
So CUTE! Can we see a bigger version?

One of the design mandates on Shardplate is that it completely cover the body, so if there's a cloth component it must be covering a plate beneath. At the joints where normal armor requires you to go to leather or chain or something like that, Shardplate just has finer plates that slide or overlap along each other in various clever ways.

--- Quote from: Erunion on September 15, 2010, 08:20:38 PM ---Very nice Inkthinker,  :o  I'd love to see the finished work!

Do keep in mind though that the Parshendi use axes, swords maces and the like, but I've never heard of them using longspears or pikes. Those types of weapons don't suit the Parshendi's two-man teams and warrior ethos, but are effective in the Alethi's more disciplined supportive armies. (Not sure if the Parshendi use shortspears, either)

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's another reason I dropped it... I liked the visual of Kaladin leaping onto a pike wall, but it doesn't match the text and that makes it wrong, wrong, wrong. I make up stuff all the time, but I try to never directly contradict the text just because I think it'll make a cool picture... that way lies chaos (and bad designs).

rjl:

--- Quote from: atlas689 on September 19, 2010, 03:30:45 AM ---I did a small little pixel art of Kaladin in some Shardplate. I know that he doesnt have any Plate yet, but its bound to happen!  :P

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/atlasshrugged689/my%20microes/transparent/KaladinStormblessed_atl.png[img]

--- End quote ---
Nice, but not that precise, as in should be plates all over, and a helmet as opposed to a cloth hat.

neverearth:
I made this of Kaladin jumping the chasm in my sketchbook last week.

I need to have a weapon or something sticking out on the Parshendi side, so it doesn't look like Kaladin's jumping in to join a happy gathering.  My stormlight needs work too.

Erunion:

--- Quote from: Inkthinker on September 19, 2010, 04:24:45 AM ---So CUTE! Can we see a bigger version?

One of the design mandates on Shardplate is that it completely cover the body, so if there's a cloth component it must be covering a plate beneath. At the joints where normal armor requires you to go to leather or chain or something like that, Shardplate just has finer plates that slide or overlap along each other in various clever ways.

--- Quote from: Erunion on September 15, 2010, 08:20:38 PM ---Very nice Inkthinker,  :o  I'd love to see the finished work!

Do keep in mind though that the Parshendi use axes, swords maces and the like, but I've never heard of them using longspears or pikes. Those types of weapons don't suit the Parshendi's two-man teams and warrior ethos, but are effective in the Alethi's more disciplined supportive armies. (Not sure if the Parshendi use shortspears, either)

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's another reason I dropped it... I liked the visual of Kaladin leaping onto a pike wall, but it doesn't match the text and that makes it wrong, wrong, wrong. I make up stuff all the time, but I try to never directly contradict the text just because I think it'll make a cool picture... that way lies chaos (and bad designs).

--- End quote ---

Hmmm, I really like the feel of the picture, and I'd like to see you complete it (or something much like it.)
Perhaps you could lower Kaladin slightly, and have him just cresting an axe-swing? That would be both epic and accurate!  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version