Author Topic: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)  (Read 55852 times)

DomainWalker

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2011, 03:52:14 PM »
thanks for the replies!! the color and texture on here is just a way for be to see the details a little better. i am open to changing the colors later on.

when i get this into Maya i do plan on opening the bottoms up more and not leaving it just straight down. VUE doesn't have the best tools for that kind of modeling.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »
Can I just say that I really admire how you keep working on this thing despite someone having something to add almost every time?  ;D Not a lot of people on the internet would be mature enough to cope with that. Latest version looks fantastic, by the way, I'd hardly change a thing about the basic structure.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2011, 10:18:22 PM »
Thank you for the comments CabbyHat, I agree that you may not find a mature audience on the internet these days but this group has been very helpful for me and I greatly appreciate it.
I have only been learning 3D in my spare time now for about 6 months now. I came across Brandon’s work when he finished the book for Wheel of Time and then I moved onto Mist borne. Originally I wanted to create an environment based on the Wheel of Time series but found out they may be making a movie for it. Then after reading Mist borne I came across WoK and loved it. I knew that this would be the series I would create my environment for.
I actually decided to give it a try for a contest being hosted by digital tutors for great scapes. So I thought what a better scene to work on than the shattered plains. While listening to the book I thought of another hero type shot I wanted to create “link below” with someone wearing shard plate with the shattered plains in the background. I wanted it to be a looping movie file to put on a 30” display and the scene would change as the storm came through.
Anyway sorry for the long reply, but the bottom line is I have a personal interest in making this as close to the book as I possibly can  
Digital Tutors link
http://www.digitaltutors.com
Link to animation shot
http://vimeo.com/14852250

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2011, 12:43:28 AM »

You know what would be REALLY cool that I would be interested in seeing (if you find time after doing this project) would be a view of Elantris from atop one of the walls looking in.  (You should pick up that book if you haven't read it.)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Zlurpo

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2011, 04:18:45 AM »

You know what would be REALLY cool that I would be interested in seeing (if you find time after doing this project) would be a view of Elantris from atop one of the walls looking in.  (You should pick up that book if you haven't read it.)

Oooh... I want more Elantris fanart now...  I've never been much good at cityscapes, personally, but I think that book is (or would be, rather) so visually glorious.
That's one of the reasons it has my highest vote of "Sanderson book to be made into a movie."  Which is probably a discussion for a different thread.

Zlurpo

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2011, 04:21:57 AM »
And I think that the rendering is looking better every time.  I still think perhaps the chasms either need to be closer together, or deeper.  I realize that this is a computer rendering, so you want everything to be visible to us, the viewers.  And I appreciate it!  But I always felt like when looking down into the chasms, you would just barely be able to see the bottoms, if at all, due to the lack of light at the bottom and the distance down.
When Kaladin jumped from the bridge, didn't it say it was around 70 feet?  I'd have to look that up.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »
Miyabi, I thought they'd be more red/brown too. I guess that's what I imagine when I think "barren rocky plateaus."

And, DomainWalker, my good man, you still refuse to change the plateaus elevation levels :P I am not sure why that's the first thing I notice every time, but you can feel free to tell me to storm off now :)
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2011, 07:10:26 AM »
NOW you're getting there. Maybe deeper chasms? I like the edges much more now.

A few rockbuds, maybe some twisted spine... remember, the surface isn't entirely barren, and down in the chasms there's an ecosytem that thrives in the old crem-water, clinging to the rock and hiding in the crevices.

I like the shapes and surfaces, this is close to what I imagine with the tilt and edges. Nice!!

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2011, 02:57:31 PM »
I have not been able to focus much on the scene this weekend. I have been working on installing a new server for rendering. I have also been adding more detail into the displacement map I used to create the image I posted. After I refine it a bit more I will be able to bring it into my main app “MAYA” and get back to work on it. Once in MAYA I will break out the UV’s and then take it into Mudbox for final sculpting and texturing.
Vacation is over and I will be heading back to work this week so I may not be able to get to much done but I will post what I do for review
@argent, the plateaus are indeed higher elevations that what appears in the image. I guess it's the perspective view that really doesn’t show it.
@Inkthinker, I agree It will look much better when the ecosystem goes in. also I may be wrong but the plains also have rock formations that they hid behind correct?

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2011, 11:18:54 PM »
There's moments where Kaladin and Bridge Four take shelter from the battles behind outcroppings or shelves of rock, and multiple mentions of rockbuds. I don't know if grass grows every where on the plateaus, but I think it might be reasonable that a few hardy patches could survive here and there (especially anywhere that might reasonably shelter from the wind, like the leeward side of a rock formation). I imagine that dead ends in the canyons might be very ecologically active, since a lot of matter would end up washed there after every storm.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2011, 06:02:09 AM »
I don't know about the grass. Roshar is a very different world from ours, and life there seems to be able to thrive on much less than our own flora and fauna. Unless there is a detailed description (which is possible) of the plateaus, we might as well assume they are all covered with short and sturdy grass. Of the kind that pulls back and away from animals stepping on top of it.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2011, 04:00:01 PM »
That's the only kind of grass, unless you go to Shinovar.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:02 PM »
Hum, I didn't think the plateaus had grass. Rockbuds yes, but I don't remember grass being mentioned.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2011, 12:43:11 AM »
Yeah, I can't remember any specifics either way. The stuff is kinda ubiquitous, but the Shattered Plains get scoured pretty hard.

I'd think  it was mostly barren up top, with patches of hardy vegetation in places that provide any hint of shelter (also 'cause visually I'd want to break up the endless rock here and there with a little life). Think Badlands territory. Once you get down into the chasms, I think it's more lively, though after storms it probably takes a few days to recover.

Peter, did Brandon ever come up with a biology for how the grass anchors itself without a soil medium? Does it dig in or does it only flourish in crem patches (I'd imagine the latter, with grass seeds accumulating in puddles that quickly dry into spots of crem, the leaves forcing their way out but able to withdraw as usual), or is there something else?

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2011, 06:56:51 AM »
I thought the grass was only in the unclaimed hills.  At least that's the only place I remember it being mentioned.