Author Topic: The value of spheres in WoK (no spoilers)  (Read 9477 times)

Kykeon

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
The value of spheres in WoK (no spoilers)
« on: September 23, 2010, 10:07:51 AM »
How much can I buy for an emerald sphere?
We often hear that it's a lot of money for a darkeyes , but how much is never said.
Maybe we'll be able to calculate the value of a gemheart after that (and since we know the pay of bridgemen and soldiers, the approximate gain for a high prince that leads a successful run   :o)

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: The value of spheres in WoK (no spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:28:06 AM »
Depends which size of emerald sphere. There are three sizes as far as I'm aware, chip, mark and broam.

But I'm afraid I can't think of much to help with assigning values... Noting that we effectively have 30 different coins (10 different types of gem and three different sizes) and we've only seen a few of them being spent on a few occasions.

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »
...and I thought I simply wasn't paying attention when listening to the relevant passages. :-\

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »
From what I understood the "size" referred to the gem inside, not the sphere itself.

I expect a resurgent interest in marbles, should Kings cosplay ever properly take off.   ;D

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 01:07:14 PM »
From what I understood the "size" referred to the gem inside, not the sphere itself.
Can't think of a specific reference atm, but yes, it's stated that te spheres are all the same size glass spheres, but have different sized gems inside them depending on the denomination. (chip, mark or broam)

ehyde

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 03:29:15 PM »
I expect a resurgent interest in marbles, should Kings cosplay ever properly take off.   ;D

I checked already, couldn't find glow-in-the-dark marbles.  ;)

whitetrash

• Level 2
  • Trailer Park Pimp
    • View Profile
    • Edon Thompson
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:09:27 PM »
I wish i couild use the spheres to buy this book hopefully I will be getting it this weekend ;D

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 04:49:14 PM »
so, what's the denomination chart?
“This is for you,” Shallan said, taking out a ruby mark and handing it to Yalb.
“Brightness, this is too much!”
“It’s partially out of thanks,” she said, “but is also to pay you to stay here and wait for a few hours, in case I return.”
“Wait a few hours for a firemark? That’s wages for a week’s sailing!”
Diamond marks, each worth five diamond chips. A single chip would buy a loaf of bread.
A sapphire sphere was worth about twenty-five times a diamond one. As Kaladin made one diamond mark a day, a skymark was worth as much as Kaladin made in half a month. Of course, a common darkeyed soldier earned five clearmarks a day, which would make this a week’s wages to them.
Those are some long months. 50 days.  Weeks are 5 days.
It was five diamond marks to a garnet.
An emerald broam was the largest denomination of sphere, worth a thousand diamond chips. Ten of them was more than her trip to Kharbranth had cost by several magnitudes!
Kaladin looked down at the sphere. An emerald chip. More than he normally earned in two weeks.
He would earn 10 clearmarks in 2 weeks (if you include his bribe to Gaz, 8, if you include income from selling knobweed sap, considerably more)
This single emerald broam was worth what a bridgeman slave would make in two hundred days.
If what were told earlier was true, shouldn't it be exactly what a bridgeman makes in 200 days?
There, she used all her remaining spheres to fill the oversized goblet lamp. To get enough light, she was forced to use spheres of all nine colors and all three sizes, so the illumination was patchy and varied.

Despite all the various denominations, How many have we seen used so far? And does that quote mean that only 9 and not 10 gems are used in money?

so, a chip is worth 1/5 of it's respective mark.  Is a broam worth 5x what a mark is?  That would put an emerald chip at 8 clearmarks... And it would put the 100 diamond broams at 2.5 emerald broams.  I can't decide if these sound right or not.  As far as the worth of an emerald broam: 1000 loaves of bread. A slave is 1.5-3 emerald broams, depending on quality.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:42:22 PM by Cheese Ninja »

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 07:11:50 PM »

Few ways to trick around this... for instance, a pouch of marbles with a small, battery-powered LED lamp at the bottom, the glass should reflect and refract the light around in fun ways in there. Only works while they're in the pouch, of course...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 07:33:02 PM »
There's probably enough info in the book for you to figure out most of the spheres value chart.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Harakeke

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 07:53:32 PM »

Few ways to trick around this... for instance, a pouch of marbles with a small, battery-powered LED lamp at the bottom, the glass should reflect and refract the light around in fun ways in there. Only works while they're in the pouch, of course...
Or even better -- lasers!
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-glow-marble-mini-light-project-parts-44252.html

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »
If you use a black light, then Vaseline Uranium marbles glow in the dark...plenty of them on sale on Ebay.  Not too expensive, either, but they just glow...they don't have a color chip in the middle, and I'd expect the chips would glow the color of their gemstone.
If everyone else sits back and does nothing, the bad guy wins.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 09:27:16 PM »
so, what's the denomination chart?
Diamond marks, each worth five diamond chips. A single chip would buy a loaf of bread.
A sapphire sphere was worth about twenty-five times a diamond one. As Kaladin made one diamond mark a day, a skymark was worth as much as Kaladin made in half a month. Of course, a common darkeyed soldier earned five clearmarks a day, which would make this a week’s wages to them.
Those are some long months. 50 days.  Weeks are 5 days.
It was five diamond marks to a garnet.
An emerald broam was the largest denomination of sphere, worth a thousand diamond chips. Ten of them was more than her trip to Kharbranth had cost by several magnitudes!
Kaladin looked down at the sphere. An emerald chip. More than he normally earned in two weeks.
He would earn 10 clearmarks in 2 weeks (if you include his bribe to Gaz, 8, if you include income from selling knobweed sap, considerably more)
This single emerald broam was worth what a bridgeman slave would make in two hundred days.
If what were told earlier was true, shouldn't it be exactly what a bridgeman makes in 200 days?
There, she used all her remaining spheres to fill the oversized goblet lamp. To get enough light, she was forced to use spheres of all nine colors and all three sizes, so the illumination was patchy and varied.

Despite all the various denominations, How many have we seen used so far? And does that quote mean that only 9 and not 10 gems are used in money?

so, a chip is worth 1/5 of it's respective mark.  Is a broam worth 5x what a mark is?  That would put an emerald chip at 8 clearmarks... And it would put the 100 diamond broams at 2.5 emerald broams.  I can't decide if these sound right or not.  As far as the worth of an emerald broam: 1000 loaves of bread.
Hmm, where do you get the 8 from? I didn't follow where that appeared from.

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »
Hmm, where do you get the 8 from? I didn't follow where that appeared from.

I'm assuming a broam is worth 5 times what a mark is. I can't find a conversion rate in the book.  If so, an emerald broam would be worth 25 emerald chips. (emerald broam = 200 diamond marks)/25 = 8 diamond marks, or 40 diamond chips.

Topaz and ruby and zircon only show up a few times, so it's tough to figure out what they're worth.
Lamaril waved Gaz over, so he reluctantly approached. Then he took a sphere out of his pouch and passed it over. A topaz mark. He hated losing it. He always hated losing money.
“You owe me twice as much as this,” Lamaril noted, raising the sphere up to look through it as it sparkled in the sunlight.
Kaladin patted the bridgeman on the shoulder, then left him to his work, surrounded by a small ring of topaz chips; Kaladin had gotten permission to bring them, explaining his men needed light to work on the armor.

So Gaz was paying Lamaril in topaz marks, so I would think they'd be a bit more valuable.  But it's not too odd for Kaladin to have topaz chips?
“This is for you,” Shallan said, taking out a ruby mark and handing it to Yalb.
“Brightness, this is too much!”
“It’s partially out of thanks,” she said, “but is also to pay you to stay here and wait for a few hours, in case I return.”
“Wait a few hours for a firemark? That’s wages for a week’s sailing!”
I'd assume a week's worth of wages for a sailor is less than a week's worth of wages for a soldier, so rubies are probably somewhere between garnets and sapphires.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:56:06 PM by Cheese Ninja »

brycex99

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 10:01:17 PM »
It seems like if Kaladin made 10 clearmarks in 2 weeks, and an emerald chip is "more than he normally made in 2 weeks" then an emerald chip would have to be worth more than 8 clearmarks. Or are you assuming he's referencing his net income after the bribe?