Author Topic: Significance of Ten Viewpoint Characters? - SPOILERS  (Read 1960 times)

ROSHtafARian

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Significance of Ten Viewpoint Characters? - SPOILERS
« on: October 04, 2010, 01:21:32 AM »
Just had a wild thought....there are supposed to be ten books, and around ten viewpoint characters.  The possible exception is Brandon's apparently said Kaladin might get a second book.    But I was reading this epigraph:

“Above the final void I hang, friends behind, friends before. The feast I must drink clings to their faces, and the words I must speak spark in my mind. The old oaths will be spoken anew.”—Dated Betabanan, 1173, 45 seconds pre-death. Subject: a lighteyed child of five years. Diction improved remarkably when giving sample.

and now I'm wondering....which old oaths will be spoken anew?  We've already had Kaladin speaking the old Windrunner's Oath and it seems pretty obvious there's going to be a revival of the Knights Radiant, with different characters like Kaladin, Shallan, Jasnah etc reviving the old magics and ideals of the Radiants through their storylines, but will it stop there?  Or is it possible that some of them might end up forming a new Oathpact to contain Odium or combat the Desolations/Everstorm, and replace the old Heralds?  Talanel, the only one who didn't forsake the Oathpact is thought to be getting his own book and with some people already speculating that Jezrien and some of the other Heralds might be more antagonists than protagonists in this series, maybe the Knights Radiant won't be enough, as Kalak figured they wouldn't be when he spoke to Jezrien about it in the Prelude.  Maybe a new Oathpact is needed and these viewpoint characters aren't destined just to be the heads of their respective Orders, but the new Heralds those Orders correspond to?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: Significance of Ten Viewpoint Characters? - SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:25:06 AM »
That one already happened. It was when Kaladin jumped across the chasm, soaking in the Stormlight from the gemhearts in the Parshendi beards, and saying "I will protect those who cannot protect themselves".
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:52:25 AM »
Do you really think Brandon's going to let that be the only interpretation for that?
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:33:19 PM »
That one already happened. It was when Kaladin jumped across the chasm, soaking in the Stormlight from the gemhearts in the Parshendi beards, and saying "I will protect those who cannot protect themselves".
if that is the only interpretation of it, it would imply that the Parshendi are working on Kaladins side

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:30:55 PM »
if that is the only interpretation of it, it would imply that the Parshendi are working on Kaladins side
Or it could be referring to Dalinar's army.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?