Author Topic: WOK: Navani's Notebook Translation *MAJOR SPOILERS*  (Read 52409 times)

Harakeke

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOK: Navani's Notebook Translation *MAJOR SPOILERS*
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2010, 07:26:35 AM »
I'm more inclined to think Shardblade creation has something directly to do with the Almighty's Shard of Adonalsium, and that the reason no one can make new Blades is that the Almighty is dead.

Shardblades are only able to physically cut materials that aren't linked to a living mind.  When interacting with living tissue, my guess is that they sever the physical object's connection to the cognitive/spiritual realm -- which is the sort of raw "laws of magi-physics" shenanigans which I'd place deeper than spren.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2010, 07:29:31 AM »
Shardblades are only able to physically cut materials that aren't linked to a living mind.  When interacting with living tissue, my guess is that they sever the physical object's connection to the cognitive/spiritual realm -- which is the sort of raw "laws of magi-physics" shenanigans which I'd place deeper than spren.

Hm - does it ever mention whether shardblades will cut through animals' flesh while they're alive?
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2010, 07:31:16 AM »
Hm - does it ever mention whether shardblades will cut through animals' flesh while they're alive?

They can't cut through a Chasmfiend's exoskeleton until it's dead.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2010, 07:32:59 AM »

Oh, right, of course.

Although... are we really sure chasmfiends are just dumb animals?  :)
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2010, 07:36:04 AM »

Oh, right, of course.

They are currently into the habit of getting themselves killed, by one army. If they were smart they would fight back.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2010, 07:39:11 AM »

Oh, right, of course.

They are currently into the habit of getting themselves killed, by one army. If they were smart they would fight back.

Like the Parshendi do? Perhaps by attacking and nearly killing the king? (Sorry, ignore me, I'm just being difficult now. I'm just a big fan of the "chasmfiends are thunderclasts" theory, which means there's probably more to them than meets the eye. Feel free to dismiss my comments as the rantings of an uneducated noob, however.)

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2010, 07:46:40 AM »

Oh, right, of course.

Like the Parshendi do? Perhaps by attacking and nearly killing the king? (Sorry, ignore me, I'm just being difficult now. I'm just a big fan of the "chasmfiends are thunderclasts" theory, which means there's probably more to them than meets the eye. Feel free to dismiss my comments as the rantings of an uneducated noob, however.)

I have my own theory on Thunderclasts, but I like your theory. Post it here - http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=7945.0 - so we can get some discussion out of it.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »

The exoskeleton doesn't really count as being alive.  It's classified the same way as human nails and hair.  A shardblade can cut through it.  This comes up a few times in the book.  It's a big part of Dalinar/Elhokar/Adolin's fight against the chasmfiend.  Dalinar and Adolin were chopping through legs to limit its mobility and get it off balance.

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2010, 06:35:12 PM »
they were deadening limbs just like Szeth talks about in the prologue, not cutting them off.  If it passes through your arm, it will hang limply for the rest of your life.

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2010, 06:40:05 PM »
True, I slightly misremembered things, but here's the quotes:
The Blade sheared the thick chitin with barely a tug of resistance. As always, it didn’t cut living flesh, though it killed the leg as surely as if it had been cut free. The large limb slipped, falling numb and useless.
He got close and swung at the beast’s torso, cutting free a piece of chitin—like a person’s hair or nails, it could be cut by a Blade. Then Elhokar slammed his weapon into the monster’s breast, seeking its heart.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2010, 02:27:03 AM »
As I saw it, the chitin is cut but the flesh beneath is only "deadened". So a cut limb on a creature with an exoskeleton would look like a cut in the shell, but it would still be held together by the underlying muscle. It might separate slightly, but it would not amputate, at least not until the creature was fully dead.

ccstat

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2010, 08:09:34 AM »
Re: notebook page 2 and the emotion bracelet.
Do you think Navani has one of these? I don't remember any descriptions of jewelry, but in the picture it is on her safehand, which would be hidden from all viewpoint characters except herself. It may be a (small) part of why she is such an effective politician.

ccstat

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2010, 08:15:46 AM »
Also, did the fabrial makers tie the double eye of emotions on the bracelet to the more fundamental double-eye of the almighty on the front flap? That is, can we assume that "joy" is linked to Jes/sapphire/protecting etc. from ars arcanum, and likewise for the others?

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2010, 09:49:18 AM »
Also, did the fabrial makers tie the double eye of emotions on the bracelet to the more fundamental double-eye of the almighty on the front flap? That is, can we assume that "joy" is linked to Jes/sapphire/protecting etc. from ars arcanum, and likewise for the others?

I see no apparent connection between the two, but I think there is some connection, we just don't have enough information yet. It's too much of a coincidence that the emotion bracelet is designed to look like the double eye of the almighty.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

EvilNuff

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2010, 05:10:05 AM »
From the notebook we see that fabrials appear to require a spren to be trapped in a gem...what if something similar is required for shardblades?  Specifically I am thinking about Szeth's honorspren...what if is spren is imprisoned in his shardblade?

On an unrelated note, I think the spheres in shadesmar are all spren...