Author Topic: WOK: Navani's Notebook Translation *MAJOR SPOILERS*  (Read 52414 times)

Harakeke

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOK: Navani's Notebook Translation *MAJOR SPOILERS*
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2010, 06:44:47 AM »
Navani's map of the Battle of the Tower sort of foreshadows the chapter immediately following.
"Hey... what's that third arrow there?  The one labeled Parshendi Army that's cutting right through Dalinar's Army..."
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:48:52 AM by Harakeke »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2010, 07:11:41 AM »
Um...that's actually a mistake. It's supposed to be on the next chapter... =\ When we noticed that, it was too late to fix.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Harakeke

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2010, 07:32:45 AM »
Haha -- that does make a lot more sense.  :)

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2010, 09:25:22 AM »
If all of the Shardblades do have a gem in the pommel, then I have a theory!

I think that the Shardblades aren't fabrials, but are constructed in a similar manner.  The key diiference would be the type of spren.  We know that each of the Knights Radiant had a Shardblade, and that each Knight was bonded to a special spren.  Guys, I think the gems in the blades have honorspren in them, or the equivalent spren for other orders.  This is supported by Syl being repulsed by it.  She knows, if not consciously then instinctively, what it is.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2010, 09:43:56 AM »
This is supported by Syl being repulsed by it.  She knows, if not consciously then instinctively, what it is.

But then why weren't the spren bonded to the original Knights Radiants repulsed by the swords. Prior to the fall of the Radiants (the Redreande?? I can't make out those letters on the history of man illustration) the shards were exclusive to the Knights Radiants.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

RicksterBLM

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2010, 02:29:02 PM »
i think the shardblades have been "sullied" in some way since they're no longer for fighting the voidwalkers, they've been used to kill humans.  that might explain the repulsion

elsyan

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2010, 03:41:39 PM »
i think the shardblades have been "sullied" in some way since they're no longer for fighting the voidwalkers, they've been used to kill humans.  that might explain the repulsion

I like this theory.  It fits with the very clear message that human kind destroyed iteslf, ruining the radiants until they could take no more and walked away.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2010, 05:39:20 PM »
That's the twist, the spren they're bonded to are in the Shardblades.  If you think about it, we know that Szeth should be bonded to a spren but haven't seen it.  We also know he has a Shardblade.  How'd he get it?  Someone made it using his honorspren!  I can see two possibilities.  1) This is all part of being Truthless, the Shin can make the Blades, but they keep it very much a secret.  2) Szeth made it himself, which is why he's Truthless in the first place.  The Shin weren't able to take it from him, though, or don't want it because of how it came to be.

Secondary theory, this sort of stems from #1 above.  In one of the part 3 epigraphs (Jasnah's notes) it says they wanted to have Urithiru, the Radiants' HQ, in Alethela, but decided to move it farther west, "closer to Honor", I think it said.  This could maybe put it in Shinovar, and that's how the Shin know how to make Shards.  This could also support #2 above by having Szeth discover Urithiru and the knowledge hidden there to make a Blade.  This is based on the assumption that the Knights knew how to make their own Shardblades.  But it makes sense that Urithiru would be in Shinovar when you look at the Prologue and see how much he knows about Lashings and Stormlight and how it's connected to his religion.

Long, spur of the moment theories are my specialty.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2010, 03:20:41 AM »
One thing that supports this is that he says "my blade is cursed enough" when he thinks about taking Gavilar's blade.

Edit- took out curiosity about Gavilar's plate and sword
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:25:40 AM by Terrisman243 »

Harakeke

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2010, 07:48:20 AM »
Finally got around to cleaning up my key.  I shrank the diacritics and took out the extraneous letters.
edit: Note that since Alethi has no W or X, the respective English transliterations are U and KS.

And for any other typography nerds out there, the font on the cover of the US edition is Ravenwood One.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:00:06 PM by Harakeke »

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2010, 07:57:01 AM »
If spren are in the blades, how come every Shardblade wielder doesn't have superpowers?

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2010, 09:36:20 AM »
One thing that supports this is that he says "my blade is cursed enough" when he thinks about taking Gavilar's blade.

Edit- took out curiosity about Gavilar's plate and sword

The exact quote is:
The Blade Szeth already carried was curse enough.

I feel that the wording of this sentence, taking into account the context of the chapter and Szeth's view on shardblades is that all shardblades are a curse, and that his (while being special) is cursed for the reason that it is so easy to kill with it, not that he may of made it out of his trusted friend and companion [insert name] the honourspren.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »
If spren are in the blades, how come every Shardblade wielder doesn't have superpowers?
Because the spren isn't theirs, it was bonded to the Knight that originally wielded it.
The Blade Szeth already carried was curse enough.
I feel that the wording of this sentence, taking into account the context of the chapter and Szeth's view on shardblades is that all shardblades are a curse, and that his (while being special) is cursed for the reason that it is so easy to kill with it, not that he may of made it out of his trusted friend and companion [insert name] the honourspren.
It could mean both.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2010, 10:53:24 PM »
Actually you just use a U for a W. Not a UI.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2010, 11:33:58 PM »
Wouldn't it make more sense to have it be UU?