Author Topic: Chapter 2, still confused.  (Read 2017 times)

BurrfootMike

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Chapter 2, still confused.
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:01:04 PM »
I believe I'm in the middle of chapter 2 and my apologies if this has been posted before, but I do not know the difference between the terms "lighteyes" & "darkeyes." I have re-read bits of what I have already read, but to no avail. I am assuming that he is referring to  them being either alethi or parshendi, but could somebody confirm this for me?  Thanks alot.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 2, still confused.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 10:12:25 PM »
You're reading too much into it.  A "lighteyes" is someone who, quite literally, has light-colored eyes.  Similarly, a "darkeyes" has dark-colored eyes.  Yes, this does seem a bit frivolous to base class divisions on, but there you have it.

BurrfootMike

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »
Ok, so bare with me haha.  On page 52 Kaladin states he was put into slavery for killing a "lighteyes." If those terms have no more meaning than what you stated, does that mean he was put into slavery for killing a person who had light colored eyes?

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:25:32 PM »
Ok, so bare with me haha.  On page 52 Kaladin states he was put into slavery for killing a "lighteyes." If those terms have no more meaning than what you stated, does that mean he was put into slavery for killing a person who had light colored eyes?

Essentially, but there's more to it than that (you'll find out later)

The alethi believe those born with light colored eyes were chosen by the almighty to lead. As a result, all of the ruling class are lighteyes, and the serving/working class are all darkeyed.

Anytime they say "Lighteyes" just think of some sort of ruler somewhere in the hierarchy (lord, duke, duchess, king, queen, prince, etc.), anyone with lighteyes is essentially one of these by birthright.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

BurrfootMike

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:27:28 PM »
I see said the blind man. Thanks alot.

::goes back to reading::

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »
Most lighteyes aren't quite that far up the hierarchy.  There are plenty of mere low-ranked officer lighteyes in the army, for example, though they usually are officers rather than rank-and-file soldiers.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:38:11 PM »
Most lighteyes aren't quite that far up the hierarchy.  There are plenty of mere low-ranked officer lighteyes in the army, for example, though they usually are officers rather than rank-and-file soldiers.

right. I was just pointing out that whenever he sees lighteyes, he should think of some sort of person who is in charge, so i gave some nobility examples. There are obviously lighteyes of all ranks, those who almost blur the line between light and dark with how low they are, and those who are at the tip top, just as with any hierarchical system.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 02:56:03 PM »

I know it's been explained, but an analogy might be in order.

Imagine hearing that a man had been sold into slavery because he was black and had killed a white man.  Makes more sense now, yes?
Nature hates being reified.