Author Topic: RE: Hoids aquaintance at the end of the book and the nature of his sword. (SPOILER)  (Read 9285 times)

Munin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Or perhaps "binding" them is what changed the Parshendi into the Parshmen.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile

Then what would happen if you bonded a creature mortal? (i.e. human)
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile

You get a Surgebinder?
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile

You get a Surgebinder?

That would mean that the bonds where different, because one comes from the Almighty while the other comes from Odium. (assuming that the voidbringers come from Odium).
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
Except for one thing- The Parshendi aren't of Hate (Which is what Odium means). They seem to have deep respect for their dead and for those in battle. When they are fighting Kaladin, they focus on the more experienced people rather than the weakest, which is what an Alethi would be more likely to do.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
Do we really know enough about the parshendi to judge whether they are motivated by hate? Everything they have done is clouded in mystery, making it hard to discern their true motives.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Do we really know enough about the parshendi to judge whether they are motivated by hate? Everything they have done is clouded in mystery, making it hard to discern their true motives.
We know how they act.

Either they're not motivated by hate, or their definition of "hate" is very different from ours.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
We know how they act.

Either they're not motivated by hate, or their definition of "hate" is very different from ours.

How would you define assassinating Gavilar? It is not too much of a stretch to say he was killed because of hate. He have no idea what there motives behind that move was. How about declaring war? War is usually driven by hate. What's there motive behind the war? we just dont know. It could very well be hate.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
We know how they act.

How would you define assassinating Gavilar? It is not too much of a stretch to say he was killed because of hate. He have no idea what there motives behind that move was. How about declaring war? War is usually driven by hate. What's there motive behind the war? we just dont know. It could very well be hate.
It is a stretch to say that he was killed because of hate, because so far, they haven't shown any emotional animosity towards any humans, and we have no idea why they killed him in the first place.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
We know how they act.

It is a stretch to say that he was killed because of hate, because so far, they haven't shown any emotional animosity towards any humans, and we have no idea why they killed him in the first place.

My point exactly. We cannot say for certain it is hate, but neither can we rule it out.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Kierlionn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
We know how they act.

My point exactly. We cannot say for certain it is hate, but neither can we rule it out.
We might not be able to rule it out but I find it highly unlikely that it is hate due to the way they treat their enemy on the battle field. Why would hateful people show respect and honor.
Hateful people would have attacked Kaladin as soon as his back was to him and he was going for their shardbearer.
Hateful people wouldn't salute someone for being able to flee, to would be angry.
So where you can't say with 100% surety that it isn't hate, it doesn't seem very likely.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
We might not be able to rule it out but I find it highly unlikely that it is hate due to the way they treat their enemy on the battle field. Why would hateful people show respect and honor.
Hateful people would have attacked Kaladin as soon as his back was to him and he was going for their shardbearer.
Hateful people wouldn't salute someone for being able to flee, to would be angry.
So where you can't say with 100% surety that it isn't hate, it doesn't seem very likely.
Exactly.

In my opinion, "respectful violence" describes the Parshendi. Hatred really doesn't enter the equation.

Zahdemano

• Level 1
    • View Profile
I am not convinced that the Parshendi are the ones to have Galivar killed. Maybe the alliance would have stopped the mass chaos that is sure to ensue in that world. perhaps the key to victory is in the shattered plains, after all if the Parshendi wanted Galivar dead why not kill him themselves or with there own assasin, why hire a Shin?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
I am not convinced that the Parshendi are the ones to have Galivar killed. Maybe the alliance would have stopped the mass chaos that is sure to ensue in that world. perhaps the key to victory is in the shattered plains, after all if the Parshendi wanted Galivar dead why not kill him themselves or with there own assasin, why hire a Shin?
Then why did they claim responsibility for the assassination?

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile

Because Szeth is really, really good at it and they aren't?
Nature hates being reified.