Author Topic: Cadmium and Bendalloy clarification  (Read 3040 times)

Elwynn

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Cadmium and Bendalloy clarification
« on: September 13, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
Doing my wedding favors, and I realize that I've never been 100% sure about the way I think they work.

Cadmium--Subtly "pulls" on time in a bubble around the allomancer, stretching it and making it pass more slowly.
--my interpretation--Burning it creates a bubble (like coppercloud) that makes everything else move slower once it enters. Making you appear to move at superspeed.

Bendalloy--Subtly "pushes" on time in a bubble around the allomancer, compressing it and making it pass more quickly
--my interpretation--Burning it creates a bubble that makes everything else move slightly faster than you. Stopping burning it will temporarily give others the impression of you suddenly becoming super fast.

Something feels very wrong about those, especially bendalloy. Anyone with higher knowledge please enlighten me if you know the effects they appear to produce.

Thanks

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
Re: Cadmium and Bendalloy clarification
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:18:33 PM »
I asked Brandon about this at one of the signings I went to.  Cuz I'm an enormous nerd who went to TWO signings. :P

You are included in the speed ups and slow downs of these metals, so everything in the bubble is moving at the same speed as you.  It's what's outside the bubble that matters.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:31:21 AM »
As fireborn says, you've essentially got it backwards. :)

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
  • This isn't just any text - This is Personal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
I don't know exactly how they work, but your definitions would have you appear super fast in both the slowdown field and the speedup field, and that seems flawed, somehow.
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland

Castleguard

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:43:52 AM »
It seems to me that the one that slows down is only really useful if used with a team. But in the right situation and with friends its very powerful. You see you get near a bunch of enemies then slow things down so that you and all the enemies around you appear to be moving super slow. Then your friends can used ranged weapons to take out all the enemies. Since this will be in the next book chances are they will have weapons like guns and can just shoot down the people who got stuck in your slow field.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 05:00:21 AM »
It seems to me that the one that slows down is only really useful if used with a team. But in the right situation and with friends its very powerful. You see you get near a bunch of enemies then slow things down so that you and all the enemies around you appear to be moving super slow. Then your friends can used ranged weapons to take out all the enemies. Since this will be in the next book chances are they will have weapons like guns and can just shoot down the people who got stuck in your slow field.

That won't work. Any projectile fired into the field would slow down with you. Really, it would be good for taking one very powerful person out of a fight in a critical moment, by getting close to them and slowing down time, buying everyone else enough time to take out their friends and be ready to help you when you drop the bubble.

Castleguard

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 06:26:25 AM »

That won't work. Any projectile fired into the field would slow down with you. Really, it would be good for taking one very powerful person out of a fight in a critical moment, by getting close to them and slowing down time, buying everyone else enough time to take out their friends and be ready to help you when you drop the bubble.

Yes I already thought of that. Even though everything inside slows down a projectile weapon would be much faster then the people in the field. So from the perspective of the person who is controlling the field they would die at the same speed that it takes a bullet to reach its target. As soon as the targets are down the time bubble could be stopped. Unless there is some kind of effect that makes projectile weapons moving into the field no longer work. Any way from the perspective of the people outside the field they just have to make sure there shots are fired accurately and then they can move on. It might appear to them that the shots are moving very slow when they go into the field but that shouldn't matter as they don't need to wait for them to hit the targets they can move on to other enemies. If the team is skilled it should work.

Part of this depends on how much this slows things down. If it makes things supper slow and the field inside makes even bullets stop in mid air then it wouldn't be practical for the person controlling the field to wait for long enough to confirm all targets dead. He might just stop things for half a second and then trust that his allies took the shots. In fact it might be best if he simply does short bursts so stops things for those around him for a fraction of a second then makes things move forward and then if necessary does another burst of slow. After each time ending the effect he could evaluate the battlefield and either do another burst or move to another location.

By the way does any one remember what these guys that slow things down are supposed to be called? Because the more I think about what they can do the cooler they seem. I mean I could be wrong about this whole thing but I am pretty sure they could have a huge effect on a battlefield if used correctly. The key is of course positioning.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:29:04 AM by Castleguard »

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 04:32:06 PM »
Or you could burn it while at work for a minute and make hours go by. So many possible boring times you could just skip. Perhaps this is how Adam Sandler ruined his life in 'Click.' Of course, then Christopher Walken would be Sazed.

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 05:38:09 PM »
how would the transitioning be from outside the bubble to inside the bubble? would it slowly affect time more and more as you get closer to the center of the bubble? or would it be that just anything within range goes at the same speed no matter how far away it is?

Castleguard

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 04:11:53 AM »
how would the transitioning be from outside the bubble to inside the bubble? would it slowly affect time more and more as you get closer to the center of the bubble? or would it be that just anything within range goes at the same speed no matter how far away it is?

That's a good question. Wish I knew the answer. I think that it would be the same every where inside the bubble. I could be wrong on that though. If its slowest at the very center it puts the person in the middle at a big disadvantage. Also this would make it somewhat difficult to use in a fight as any enemies around you would be moving faster then you.

Dynamo

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 08:50:16 PM »

Yes I already thought of that. Even though everything inside slows down a projectile weapon would be much faster then the people in the field. So from the perspective of the person who is controlling the field they would die at the same speed that it takes a bullet to reach its target. As soon as the targets are down the time bubble could be stopped. Unless there is some kind of effect that makes projectile weapons moving into the field no longer work. Any way from the perspective of the people outside the field they just have to make sure there shots are fired accurately and then they can move on. It might appear to them that the shots are moving very slow when they go into the field but that shouldn't matter as they don't need to wait for them to hit the targets they can move on to other enemies. If the team is skilled it should work.

Part of this depends on how much this slows things down. If it makes things supper slow and the field inside makes even bullets stop in mid air then it wouldn't be practical for the person controlling the field to wait for long enough to confirm all targets dead. He might just stop things for half a second and then trust that his allies took the shots. In fact it might be best if he simply does short bursts so stops things for those around him for a fraction of a second then makes things move forward and then if necessary does another burst of slow. After each time ending the effect he could evaluate the battlefield and either do another burst or move to another location.

By the way does any one remember what these guys that slow things down are supposed to be called? Because the more I think about what they can do the cooler they seem. I mean I could be wrong about this whole thing but I am pretty sure they could have a huge effect on a battlefield if used correctly. The key is of course positioning.

According to the Table of Allomantic Metals

Cadmium users are called Pulsers
Bendalloy users are called Sliders

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 10:05:53 PM »

This could be quite effective as a weapon, especially with a duralumin enhanced super-slow. You and those in the bubble are slowed down to very slow speeds, someone walks towards the bubble and shoots each of the baddies in the bubble, then you start up time again. End result, a two-man team gets 5-6 near point-blank-range, carefully aimed gunshots. When time starts up again, the people inside will not have time to react to jump out of the way of the oncoming projectiles (esp. if they are not metallic, perhaps a carbon alloy.)

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 04:20:09 AM »
Now that's a better way to use it. XD