Author Topic: tWoK's place in the Cosmere (possible spoilers for all books)  (Read 2076 times)

SnagglezMaw

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
tWoK's place in the Cosmere (possible spoilers for all books)
« on: September 13, 2010, 04:36:00 AM »
As time goes on, now that I've finished tWoK, I can't help but think of the "bigger picture" in all of Brandon's books.
But mainly about tWoK's part in all of it. We know the series will span 10 books, so it will be quite in-depth. I feel like it is kind of a central hub for the other books (as far as over-lapping characters, etc. go). One general theory I've been rolling around in my head is that, while the series will tell Roshar's tale, it will also kick-start this on-going story of Shardholders and gods and this 17th Shard group. With this, I came about the idea that during the time it takes Brandon to finish the Stormlight Archive, he may release other books that give bits and pieces and clues as to what's happening in the Cosmere. By the time he finishes the Stormlight Archive (and maybe these other books) we could be looking at yet another series, one that could involve characters and story elements from all of his books up until that point. This is all just speculation on my side, I really don't have evidence, but I would like to see some other people's thoughts on this idea.

Tangletalon

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: tWoK's place in the Cosmere (possible spoilers for all books)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 12:24:28 AM »
It makes perfect sense. He is writing 10 books in a 15-year timespan,  so he is releasing more books than just Stormlight books. These might even explain the other four worlds! (I beleive, you see, that there are eight worlds, each one with two Shards.)

SnagglezMaw

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:09:12 AM »
That's interesting, I hadn't heard about the 15-year span. You're probably right about the 4 other worlds, although there may not necessarily be 2 Shards on each (there was 1 from the Warbreaker book, and there's supposedly 3 on Roshar), it'll probably work out to average 2 on each world...assuming he doesn't want to add more books with 1 Shard each. We'll have to wait and see.

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 12:49:32 PM »
He said he plans to release 2 books approximately every 3 years...thus, 10 books...15 years.
If everyone else sits back and does nothing, the bad guy wins.

SnagglezMaw

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:29:32 PM »
He said he plans to release 2 books approximately every 3 years...thus, 10 books...15 years.
Does this include WoT, Stormlight Archive and young adult books?

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:52:19 PM »
Does this include WoT, Stormlight Archive and young adult books?

No. WoT 14 will be out in 2011 (early spring of 2012 at the latest), which will complete the WoT series. After that, Brandon has said he'll be shooting for 2 Stormlight Archive books every 3 years, and in between he'll probably do a YA book or some more stand-alone fantasy novels so that he doesn't burn himself out.