Author Topic: Money  (Read 4836 times)

echigo109

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Money
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:41:31 AM »
is anyone else extremely pissed that they don't have the money to go and get "the way of kings"?

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Money
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 03:17:29 AM »
Just go sit in a bookstore for like 12 hours straight and read it. If you're careful about it, you won't get yelled at.

In fact, in most bookstores won't even yell at you if you aren't careful about it.....
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 03:47:54 AM »
...library?
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 04:13:44 AM »
You know, that never even occurred to me. But then again, I have an utterly irrational hatred of libraries. I can't stand them. Or books from them, quite frequently. No idea why.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Morderkaine

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 04:52:44 AM »
You know, that never even occurred to me. But then again, I have an utterly irrational hatred of libraries. I can't stand them. Or books from them, quite frequently. No idea why.

Sounds to me like you've read a little too much Alcatraz.   ;D

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 06:53:48 AM »
I set aside twenty five bucks from my birthday cash (in June) for the release of WoK.  Totally worth it.  (I also won an ARC of it off twitter.  :P)
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

AzWingsFan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:38:25 AM »
I hear ya, I wanted at least to get in the first week it came out, but we are broke and moving to a house.. Have No moolah

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 08:58:21 AM »

Sounds to me like you've read a little too much Alcatraz.   ;D

Nuh uh! Well, probably so, but that's beside the point!

In all seriousness, I've hated libraries for as long as I can remember. I never checked a book out of my high school or jr. high libraries. Not once in six years. The last time I checked something out of the public library was 4th grade. I've only used the library here at BYU because a) It's not quite so bad as other libraries, and b) I had to for one of my classes. It wasn't even an option. It said, "Go to the library and get this book. You probably won't be able to find it anywhere else, as it's out of print." Sad day. But I've only been there once since I got here. That's pretty good, right?

kain243

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 02:42:41 PM »
How to get way of kings for free...
1) Go to audiblepodcast.com/excuse (subscribing via this link supports Brandon's podcast writing excuses)
2) Take out the 15-day free trial and download the way of kings audiobook. 
3) Listen to it
4) Cancel before the end of 15 days if you don't want to continue the audible subscription after that.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:39:54 PM by kain243 »

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »
request it at your library. There will be a waiting list, but bestsellers tend to have a lot of copies and they don't allow renewals, so you will get it with in 2 months (this is why you should request it before it comes out). I am 36, so 2 months is not a lot of time to me... as you get older time goes by faster. And yes, I feel that way with Robert Jordan.

reading in the bookstore is a good option. Earlier in my programming career, I used to go to Barnes and Noble every Saturday morning and spend several hours sampling a variety of programming books. The library never carries a good selection of these and they are about $50+ each. So it would have cost me $1,000s of dollars to buy them. Learned a lot.

I believe amazon.com still gives you a $25 credit if you get their credit card. That covers the cost of the book. If your too young to get a credit card have your parents do it. Costs them nothing. Just rip the card up when done if you don't want it (I have a drawer full of once used cards that I got for discounts).

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 04:00:24 PM »

l seriousness, I've hated libraries for as long as I can remember. I never checked a book out of my high school or jr. high libraries. Not once in six years. The last time I checked something out of the public library was 4th grade. I've only used the library here at BYU because a) It's not quite so bad as other libraries, and b) I had to for one of my classes. It wasn't even an option. It said, "Go to the library and get this book. You probably won't be able to find it anywhere else, as it's out of print." Sad day. But I've only been there once since I got here. That's pretty good, right?

I don't understand this. Your taxes pay for it. These days you can go online and reserve them, then they email you to go pick the item up. When I was a kid, I had to use the old card catalog. (ok when I got to junior high we had computers). I don't understand what is not to like about them. They are one of the few things that tax money is well spent on. I constantly have books and audio books checked out. For the last 5+ years I think I have always had stuff checked out. When I was in grad school, I could check books out for months. Your statement does not make a lot of sense.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 05:30:45 PM »
Yeah, I'm really not understanding the library hate, here.

If your library is like mine, you don't even have to hunt on the shelves for the book you want. Just reserve it online, and they'll pull it from the shelf for you. Go up to the desk, pick it up. In and out in under three minutes.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Liralyn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »

In all seriousness, I've hated libraries for as long as I can remember. I never checked a book out of my high school or jr. high libraries. Not once in six years. The last time I checked something out of the public library was 4th grade. I've only used the library here at BYU because a) It's not quite so bad as other libraries, and b) I had to for one of my classes. It wasn't even an option. It said, "Go to the library and get this book. You probably won't be able to find it anywhere else, as it's out of print." Sad day. But I've only been there once since I got here. That's pretty good, right?

This is baffling to me.  First of all, I have a serious love affair with the BYU library.  The only reason I can see to hate libraries is because you hate books AND money.  But the BYU library?  It's like the Mecca of libraries.  There are books there you can't find anywhere else (even your teacher knew that).  They have periodicals that reference vast stores of knowledge both online and off.  There are comfortable spots to sit and read quietly, places to study, places to chat.  You don't even have to check anything out!  There's a room devoted to people sitting and reading what they find on the shelves.  The fiction floor is pretty good. The YA fiction is better than any other I've seen.  The nonfiction is astounding.   They have over 2 rows of books on baking.  Baking! 

:-*  That kiss?  It's for the library.

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 06:16:21 PM »
i can't stand libraries! the one by me doesn't get books until 2-3 years after they come out... no new releases

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »
convinced my dad to by it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D  ;D  ;D