Author Topic: WoK: Kaladin and Syl *Spoilers*  (Read 33928 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WoK: Kaladin and Syl *Spoilers*
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »
However, the parallel to the Uncertainty principle is quite obvious, that is for sure!  Not sure how it's going to play out, but I believe Brandon has said it's pretty important.

any citations on that? Just curious. Cause it's really interesting.

Ack.  You got me.  I don't remember.  I vaguely remember something in an interview about Brandon saying "Some researchers have made a discovery that will have huge ramifications," and given that the only researchers were the ones who discovered the Spren Certainty Principle, along with the revelation that all fabrials are fueled by Spren, and well, it's not a big jump.  But I can't give a citation.
Nature hates being reified.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:28 PM »
Also, I think the Honorblades are the Herald's uber-Shardblades. 9 of which are probably still  stuck somewhere or other, and one of which was last seen lying next to it's unconscious owner. (he ain't dead, cause Brandon sez he gets an expanded role later and he can't if he's dead. )

(edited to fix highly-unfortunate typo)
He dies in the first chapter, is refered to as "having a tendency to choose seemingly hopeless fights and win them. He also had a tendency to die in the process." and shows up in the last chapter, only to die (we know he dies because his blade drops to the ground).  What gives you the idea that death does much more then slow the Heralds down?

Pretty sure Shardblades and Dawnshards operate in the opposite fashion.  When you die with a shardblade, it remains, and when you die with a Dawnshard it vanishes.  This is from the Prologue.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2011, 12:41:32 AM »
Also, I think the Honorblades are the Herald's uber-Shardblades. 9 of which are probably still  stuck somewhere or other, and one of which was last seen lying next to it's unconscious owner. (he ain't dead, cause Brandon sez he gets an expanded role later and he can't if he's dead. )

(edited to fix highly-unfortunate typo)
He dies in the first chapter, is refered to as "having a tendency to choose seemingly hopeless fights and win them. He also had a tendency to die in the process." and shows up in the last chapter, only to die (we know he dies because his blade drops to the ground).  What gives you the idea that death does much more then slow the Heralds down?

Pretty sure Shardblades and Dawnshards operate in the opposite fashion.  When you die with a shardblade, it remains, and when you die with a Dawnshard it vanishes.  This is from the Prologue.

Yep, I already pointed that out, and I also pointed out that I don't think the Dawnshards are the Heralds' Blades, I think they are called Honorblades.

cromptj

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »
Just rereading the prelude and judging from the information given, it looks like the battle and the honourblades are in makadakam? I considered Shin kak Nish but I remembered that Cultivation lives there.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:28:06 PM by cromptj »

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2011, 08:16:40 AM »
what gave you that impression? I didn't see any way to ID the place where the battle was.

Halcyon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2011, 04:31:55 PM »
A couple of observations/questions

There is speculation in other threads here that there are shards named after different "emotional states or actions" and these shards can be destroyed or splintered. Spren seem to be a more recent thing. I don't remember them described anywhere in the visions of the past-- the time of the heralds. Syl is an honor Spren and the almighty is possibly somehow connected to the "honor" shard. Is it possible the Spren are some manifestation of Odium and Honor just splintered beyond recognition?

Is it possible Kaladin is, by acting honorably, slowly becoming the new "almighty" by making Syl strong enough to reform the shard of honor or become it? Or Kaladin could be the shard and Syl is the conscience of the shard or an external projection of the shard in him.

I'm starting to think the Highstorms are the "essence" of the almighty left after his "death".

Shard plate, may be something that grows out of oneself and one's character, that is, knights may have created their own shard plate in the past. Now people are just running around wearing the symbol of someone else's honor. This would explain why Syl sees the shard plate and armor as distasteful.

What do you guys think?

MrJon3s

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 01:23:54 AM »
We don't actually know how shardplate and blade is made. Maybe kaladin and syl will end up making some shardplate and blade as he unlocks the sayings.

EvilNuff

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2011, 03:59:56 AM »
...Spren seem to be a more recent thing. I don't remember them described anywhere in the visions of the past-- the time of the heralds.

Spren do exist, from Dalinars conversation with (presumably) Nohadon:
And yet, the Nahel bond gave him no more wisdom than a regular man. Alas, not all spren are as discerning as honorspren.”
and
“They need to be better, old friend. We all do. The responsibility of what we’ve been given—whether it be the crown or the Nahel bond—needs to make us better.”

This indicates to me that some spren existed even though the more generic ones we have not seen. 

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2011, 04:49:50 AM »
I guess the spren that were associated  with Surgebinders/the Radiants have  been around a long time,other spren are newer (spawned by the death of the Almighty?)

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2011, 08:57:53 AM »
I guess the spren that were associated  with Surgebinders/the Radiants have  been around a long time,other spren are newer (spawned by the death of the Almighty?)

Or here's a thought, what if the greater spren that bonded with the Radiants somehow lost their power or splintered into the more common spren over the intervening years? That might be why no one ever sees them any more, and it makes a certain amount of sense with how Syl was running around thinking she was a windspren.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Bridge 4 Survivor

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »
In my second read I could not shake the feeling that somehow Kalidan and Syl's symbiotic relationship might culminate with her joining to Kalidan, fusing to become something greater than both of them.  Similar to a Cortana and Masterchief relationship. She just improves upon Kalidan's already incredible skills and abilities. I am new to the site, and look forward to reading other peoples thoughts and ideas. i am glad that I am not alone in thinking Mr. Sanderson tips the awesome meter over.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2011, 03:44:07 PM »

I have honestly not been keeping up with this thread, so I apologize if something I say has already been said or discussed.

Remember how the Knights Radiants' armor glowed and they were able to jump and fly in a similar manner to the way Szeth or Kaladin probably could if they got advanced enough and had enough Stormlight?

My theory is that eventually Syl will outgrow her body's capability to hold power.  I think at this time she will become a Blade and/or Plate and perhaps change back to a Spren when she is not being used.

If you think about it, not everyone can see all Spren right?  (e.g. You have to be drunk to see that one Spren.)  Now perhaps all Blades are made this way.  Where do they go when they disappear?  I propose they turn back into Spren, but no one is attuned to them so no  one sees them.  Perhaps this is why Syl loathes the other Blades so much.  They could be a different type of Spren, a corrupt, evil version of herself.

When someone intentionally puts a Blade down it doesn't evaporate.  We know Spren can be caught and put into gems.  This could be a similar concept.

If she turned into Plate, her abilities to Bind would still be usable by her, which could explain the Radiant's being able to do it even though they were in Plate.

This could also explain why Szeth wouldn't be able to use his Binding in another set of Plate, because it's from a different type of Spren and it doesn't interact with the Honor Spren.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SirZelig

• Level 3
  • I'm not crazy! It's you who is normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »
Where does it say Szeth can't use his lashings in plate? I thought he just couldn't use them against people in plate.
"All because of you
I believe in angels.
Not the kind with wings,
no, not the kind with halos;
the kind that bring you home
when home becomes a strange place.
I'll follow your voice;
all you have to do is
shout it out!"
Rise Against- The Good Left Undone

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2011, 10:14:53 PM »
"Szeth didn't own a set of Plate himself, and didn't care to. His Lashings interfered with the gemstones that powered Shardplate, and he had to choose one or the other."

The Way of Kings US hardcover, page 29

Hm... I should pick up a paperback copy for this kind of thing when they come out. The pages on mine are starting to get a bit worn.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2011, 12:25:01 AM »

LASHING,  That's it!  lol.  I for some reason couldn't remember for sure what it was called, and my book is in a suitcase somewhere. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。