Author Topic: WoK: The Heralds *Spoilers*  (Read 27624 times)

Raketen

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WoK: The Heralds *Spoilers*
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2010, 01:22:26 AM »
Shalash is Baxis' mistress in one of the interludes. She's on a quest to destroy any picture or statue of herself, that's why her statue is missing.

Oh my! I overlocked that completely. I always wondered what that interlude was about, makes sence now! Thank you.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2010, 02:02:31 AM »
I agree there. There is too much coincidence between a missing statute of Shalash and a woman who destroys artworks. Note that the first painting she destroyed was of Epan, Lady of Dreams. This could be another name for Shalash, especially if she has been around for the last 4,500 years.

I think she destroys the artworks because she's vain and doesn't like how they make her look.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2010, 04:46:39 AM »
I think she destroys the artworks because she's vain and doesn't like how they make her look.
Or because she's ashamed of what she did, and doesn't like other people looking at her.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2010, 05:00:26 AM »
Or because she's ashamed of what she did, and doesn't like other people looking at her.
Which would make you wonder, what was so shaming that she no longer wants people to look at her>
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Morsker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2010, 05:07:57 AM »
Which would make you wonder, what was so shaming that she no longer wants people to look at her>
Maybe she realizes the True Desolation is coming, and expects everyone to hate her and the other 8 heralds that abandoned Taln. So she'd rather be forgotten instead.

ROSHtafARian

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2010, 05:48:25 AM »
My personal theory is that Shalash is the Herald associated with one of the Soulcasting orders of the Radiants.  More specifically, the Soulcasting order that used the same form as Shallan.  We know that there's something magical about Shallan's drawings, and the way she transfers a Memory, which seems to have some paranormal significance the way she thinks about it, into her art.  There's some kind of magic or power in these Memories and they go into her artwork, and I think it has to be tied to her form of Soulcasting.  Maybe its storing power in the artwork or maybe its fueling certain mystical properties in the artwork...either way, I think the same thing happened with pictures or representations of Shalash or her various incarnations, like this Epani, Lady of Dreams.  (Seems like it could be a fitting title for a Herald who Soulcasts and has possible ties to a magical art form as well).  I think that all these statues or paintings of her were Memories of her that were put into art work by whatever you would call these Soulcasting artisans...and maybe this took some power away from her, or imprisoned some of her power amongst the representations of her, or maybe she had it done to store some of her power, like a safe for Stormlight or whatever fuels her particular power or brand of magic...a way to preserve it over the millennia.  And either way, now that the final Desolation is on its way, she needs this power back, and so is systematically destroying representations of herself and recovering the Memories or pieces of herself or her power that are contained within the artwork.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2010, 05:58:27 AM »
Abandoning the Oathpact, of course.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Never

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2010, 06:20:59 AM »

Or she's 4,500 years old, and nuts.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »

Then why not destroy the artworks earlier? Or stop them from ever being created?
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Dryone

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2010, 10:50:41 AM »

Then why not destroy the artworks earlier? Or stop them from ever being created?

The heralds were already worshiped before they left the oathpact, so there should be plenty statues and images around. I guess she tried to live a "normal" live for some time, but then needed some kind of quest/hobby to keep her from going insane - err, even more insane.

And of course the bloody people keep on creating statues - there is a complete set of herald statues in Kholin's warcamp.

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »
Shalash is Baxis' mistress in one of the interludes. She's on a quest to destroy any picture or statue of herself, that's why her statue is missing.

Thanks for the quote with the gender breakdown, I missed that!

Super delicious, I love it.  This is now the theory I'm supporting.  The other thing was funny, but way too weak.

also, epigraph:
16.“A woman sits and scratches out her own eyes. Daughter of kings and winds, the vandal.”—Dated Palahevan,
“The Heralds aren’t gods,” Teft scoffed.
“To you they aren’t,” Sigzil said. “Others regard them differently. The Emuli have what your scholars like to call a splinter religion—containing some Vorin ideas. But to the Emuli, you would be the splinter religion.” Sigzil seemed to find that amusing, though Teft just scowled.
Yes, the mistress claimed that the palace servants would be busy getting the new guest wing ready, but this was the home of Ashno of Sages himself. One of the richest and holiest men in all of Emul. He had hundreds of servants. What if one of them walked down this hallway?

Doesn't explain why she seems to take satisfaction in the destruction, but maybe that's just her personality. (A shardblade might be too easy, she states.)

Edit: added some quotes.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:37:59 PM by Cheese Ninja »

Morsker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2010, 05:45:19 PM »
Baxis' mistress is definitely a better explanation for the missing statue, but it leaves the beggar unexplained.

I already had one guess for why she's destroying them, but another is that she sees it as penance for her betrayal, and she's trying to redeem herself and believes she should suffer as long as Taln suffers. Doing it with a Shardblade would make it too easy, not painful enough to serve as penance.

Dryone

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2010, 05:54:07 PM »
The beggar could be Jezrien. Man in his 30ies with black, short trimmed beard + 4500 years = beggar with long black/gray beard.

It would also fit the "King becomes beggar" theme BS used in Elantris.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2010, 06:10:20 PM »
The beggar could be Jezrien. Man in his 30ies with black, short trimmed beard + 4500 years = beggar with long black/gray beard.

It would also fit the "King becomes beggar" theme BS used in Elantris.
Yeah, but the only connection there is that they both have beards.  By that reasoning, Rock could also be Jezrien.

Although, now that I think about that, Rock as a Herald would be completely awesome.

Morsker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2010, 07:22:47 PM »
I considered Jezrien too, but I think the discrepancy between black and gray/black beards rules him out. If Baxis' mistress is a Herald, we can be pretty sure they don't age.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 07:27:02 PM by Morsker »