Author Topic: MTG: Old Cards?  (Read 3510 times)

RDDK

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
MTG: Old Cards?
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »
I haven't played Magic 14 or so years, but I still have all of my old cards (mostly revised with a handful of The Dark and Legends). I know on newer cards they added all these spells and abilities. Are old cards even playable anymore?

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Re: MTG: Old Cards?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:46:09 PM »
No idea.  I have pretty much the same kind of cards in a box in my closet though.  :)  Funny world.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 03:35:43 AM »
Still playable, but not legal in tournaments.

However, MTG has experienced a lot of power creep over the last several iterations.  Your old cards would generally not fare well against the new ones.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

RDDK

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 05:43:26 AM »
Boo. I have my favorite cheap shot duos. Nettling Imp+Royal Assassin and War Barge + Merfolk Assassin.

daranthered

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 02:13:35 AM »
My group still enjoys using the old cards from the original set.  And not all the old cards are at a disadvantage there are some cards that are rather over powered. 

http://wildgunmen.com/blog/2010/09/22/10-most-overpowered-old-school-magic-cards/

Here's an that illustrates some of the best examples.  In sum, while there's been a lot of power creep there's also been a lot of mana-cost creep as well.
dulce et decorum est