Author Topic: Neal Stephenson is web publishing  (Read 2542 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Neal Stephenson is web publishing
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:43:54 PM »
This is interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/external/venturebeat/2010/09/01/01venturebeat-writer-neal-stephenson-unveils-his-digital-n-97561.html

Author Neal Stephenson has been credited for inspiring today’s virtual world startups with his novel Snow Crash. Now he’s launching a startup himself: Subutai, where he is co-founder and chairman.

More News From VentureBeat
Apple to Livestream Its Wednesday Press Event for the Masses
In a Blitz on Zynga, EA’s Madden NFL Football Moves to the Social Gridiron on Facebook
HP and Hynix to Popularize New Kind of Chip Circuit Dubbed “memristor”
Samsung Lets You Control Apps on Your TV With Galaxy S Smartphone
Samsung Really, Really Wants to Sell Web-Connected TVs With Apps This Year
The company, based in Seattle and San Francisco, has developed what it calls the PULP platform for creating digital novels. The core of the experience is still a text novel, but authors can add additional material like background articles, images, music, and video. There are also social features that allow readers to create their own profiles, earn badges for activity on the site or in the application, and interact with other readers.

Stephenson said in an interview that this material is an extension of what many science fiction and fantasy novels already offer.

“I can remember reading Dune for the first time, and I started by reading the glossary,” he said. “Any book that had that kind of extra stuff in it was always hugely fascinating to me.”

Subutai is launching its inaugural product today, a serialized story called The Mongoliad about the Mongol invasion of Europe. The company promises to release a new chapter a week. Readers can pay $5.99 for a six-month subscription fee or $9.99 for a year.

Co-founder and President Jeremy Bornstein said the company is experimenting with a new model for publishing books. The traditional model of paying for content may not hold up when the content “be canned and sent around to your friends for free,” he said, but people will hopefully still to pay for content if “the experience is so much more rich, so much more involving.”

Stephenson isn’t writing the book alone. There’s a team led by a writer Mark Teppo; it also includes Greg Bear, author of Blood Music and other science fiction novels. Stephenson compared the experience to writing a TV show, and not just because it’s a team of writers. The Mongoliad will have an ending, but there’s room for sequels and other stories set in the world, so it’s kind of like season one of a show.

Bornstein first showed off The Mongoliad back in May. The first chapter should be available on The Mongoliad website now. There’s also an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch application going through Apple’s approval process, and an Android app in the works. Subutai is self-funded.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
Re: Neal Stephenson is web publishing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:45:35 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how this is accepted. Recently I've been thinking a lot about online novels, and there doesn't seem to be a lot out there. A lot of stuff has been moving to the internet, like comics, and with sites like Hulu and show like The Guild and Dr. Horrible, t.v on the web has been taking off.

But so far E-books are the main way to get books online, and until very, very recently you couldn't even read a large majority of them without an e-reader.

But the thing about the internet, is that everyone thinks it should be free. So I don't know how well their site will do if you have to pay a subscription fee.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:55:39 PM »
There is a good online show called After Earth.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 04:40:32 PM »
There is a good online show called After Earth.

After Earth? Do you have a link for it? I may have to check it out.