Author Topic: *WoK Spoilers* The Almighty?  (Read 10468 times)

Ari54

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
*WoK Spoilers* The Almighty?
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:07:37 AM »
I think it's relatively safe to say that the Almighty in Way of Kings was a shard. Whether this puts him in a similar situation to Preservation in Hero of Ages isn't clear though, as for instance his power may already have been claimed.

What I'm wondering is... do we think that he and Odium are the only shards in play? Does his power have anything to do with Dalinar's visions, or is he just the counterpart of Odium? (presumably that would make him "Philius" or something...)

Obviously there's a bunch of other questions, but some of them are likely to be answered in future books. (such as what, if anything, his plans were with the Knights Radiant and the Heralds, who together were presumably his answer to the Voidbringers)

Zmann966

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: *WoK Spoilers* The Almighty?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 07:49:18 AM »
I believe that you're correct.
The Almighty was definitely a shard, especially if he was killed by Odium, a confirmed shard. Why else would The Almighty hold such power (that of a god) and if Odium thought of him as a big enough threat or opposing him too much, it's safe to say that he was a shard.

My question is his relationship with the Heralds and the Radiants. As well as the truth behind the mythology of being cast out of the Tranquiline Halls.

(The rest of the cosmere info in the Part 2 epigraphs is also vastly intruiging.)
Enjoying The Way of Kings?
Come on over to www.Adonalsium.net and discuss some of the deeper cosmere theories!

zebobes

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:59:28 AM »
Are the part two epigraphs written by Hoid? I know everyone has a tendency to think that Hoid is behind every wall or mysterious incident, but it kind of makes sense. The epigraphs are kind of sarcastic, and that fits in with his personality. Also, Hoid is being searched for in the interlude about Clear Lake. Could those be the friends from the 17th Shard?

Zmann966

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 08:12:24 AM »
Are the part two epigraphs written by Hoid? I know everyone has a tendency to think that Hoid is behind every wall or mysterious incident, but it kind of makes sense. The epigraphs are kind of sarcastic, and that fits in with his personality. Also, Hoid is being searched for in the interlude about Clear Lake. Could those be the friends from the 17th Shard?

See, that's what I suspect myself.
The way he speaks so casually about the other shards (and their mortal personalities and names) make me believe it's someone involved. The voice of them makes me think Hoid as well and yeah, the bit about being pursued by some "17th Shards" points to it as well.

I'm just glad that Hoid plays a bigger role and have some viewpoints of his own... Shows some interesting insight into his character and his motives.
Come on over to www.Adonalsium.net and discuss some of the deeper cosmere theories!

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »
I should really go through and collect the epigraphs together sometime, because I suspect it's much easier to understand them without the chapters between them. :)

Zmann966

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »
I should really go through and collect the epigraphs together sometime, because I suspect it's much easier to understand them without the chapters between them. :)

10 steps ahead of you, I compiled them for discussion the minute I finished the ARC.
I'll probably be posting them over at Adonalsium.net sometime today, when most people have gotten that far (one thing you can say about Sanderson fans, is that we read fast.)

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:39:54 PM »
So going through what Zmann sent me, I have some immediate observations:

1) It seems likely that Rayse is Odium from the narrator's description of him.
2) There is mention of Bavadin, too, who may be in some sort of co-operation with Odium as he is included in the narrator's grudge. So there might be as many as two shards (including one of the "most frightening and terrible of all the Shards") working for the "bad guys" on Roshar. Eep.
3) The almighty is probably not Aona, who would seem a natural fit for holding the shard powering Elantris, but he could potentially be Skai.
4) The narrator seems to be talking TO Hoid, who could be properly addressed as "Roamer", unless we suddenly switched viewpoints. That Hoid is meddling on Roshar so obviously seems to indicate he took the missive seriously and is actually helping.

Zmann966

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:03:06 PM »
See I'm not so sure about Rayse = Odium

Simply because both Rayse and Odium seem like mortal names.
I have wanted to ask Brandon (and will hopefully do soon) if all the Shards have similar power names.
Think about the ones we know:
Preservation, Ruin, Endowment, Cultivation... I think they may all follow a similar pattern.

I've made an incomplete table for this exact thing, trying to organize it all.

http://imgur.com/UUCj5.png

What do you think?

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:18:58 PM »
I had the same thought of "Odium sounds more like a name", then I looked it up to see if it's a word.  It is.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/odium

Hate, disgust.  No wonder this guy is so messed up and trying to end the world. :P
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Zmann966

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 12:47:45 AM »
I had the same thought of "Odium sounds more like a name", then I looked it up to see if it's a word.  It is.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/odium

Hate, disgust.  No wonder this guy is so messed up and trying to end the world. :P

Interesting... I was planning on asking Brandon about such things, but I may need to revise my table now that I know Odium is an emotion rather than a name.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 01:06:57 AM »
I'm not yet convinced that the epigraphs are either written by or addressed to Hoid. Sure, they use a bit of dry wit, but that's not exactly exclusive to him.

It's possible, of course, but I wouldn't really bank on it until we know a lot more about him.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Zmann966

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 01:41:18 AM »
I considered it was Hoid adressing Sazed or the other way around, but I can't be sure.

I know Sazed would scowl at violence no matter what the cause, but he may also feel that Rayse/Bavadin/Odium have stepped over the line.
But it's a silly theory, no matter which way it goes.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 02:36:21 AM »
I considered it was Hoid adressing Sazed or the other way around, but I can't be sure.

I know Sazed would scowl at violence no matter what the cause, but he may also feel that Rayse/Bavadin/Odium have stepped over the line.
But it's a silly theory, no matter which way it goes.

Pretty sure it's not Sazed.  The addressee is called "you old reptile," which is on odd form of address.  And the epigraphs (or whatever) seem to treat the recipient as somebody who is familiar with all the personalities involved.  Sazed, for instance, never knew Ati as a person.

Also---my guess is that there are going to be at least four shards involved---the chapter 11 epigraph states "Three of sixteen ruled, but now the broken one reigns."  Three of sixteen very, very likely refers to three shards, and the broken one?  Odium seems like a good start although this could be a red herring, especially with what Kalidan heard when he rode the storm.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:27:54 PM by happyman »
Nature hates being reified.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 03:05:17 AM »
See I'm not so sure about Rayse = Odium

Simply because both Rayse and Odium seem like mortal names.
I have wanted to ask Brandon (and will hopefully do soon) if all the Shards have similar power names.
Think about the ones we know:
Preservation, Ruin, Endowment, Cultivation... I think they may all follow a similar pattern.

I've made an incomplete table for this exact thing, trying to organize it all.

http://imgur.com/UUCj5.png

What do you think?

Where do we know that Rayse was on Sel from? As far as I remember that name is completely new.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 03:18:41 AM »
It says that Rayse visited Sel in the epigraph for chapter 21 of WoK.

One need only look at the aftermath of his brief visit to Sel to see proof of what I say.

I'm of the opinion that the "aftermath" that is referred to might be either the Reod or the creation of the Dakhor magics.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?