Author Topic: Choose your own adventure books! (i.e. interactive fiction)  (Read 3179 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Choose your own adventure books! (i.e. interactive fiction)
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:26:59 PM »
Anyone ever read these as a kid? When I was young, i used to utterly devour them. Between the ages of about 8 and 14 or so, i would read any I could get my hands on.

Me and a friend were recently talking about them, and that got me thinking, does anyone know if they make adult versions of these styles of books? Not "adult" like erotica versions, but just like more complex stories, maybe spanning several books or something. The old ones i used to read are nice and all, but the stories were.....well...fairly simple.

I found one called "You Are a Miserable Excuse for a Hero!" by Bob Powers, but couldn't find too terribly many more. Anyone else have ideas or suggestions?

Other than that, anyone else have any fun memories of these books?
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
Re: Choose your own adventure books! (i.e. interactive fiction)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 06:17:07 AM »
Ah, choose you're own adventure. I've read a few, we owned two or three when I was growing. I actually didn't like them all that much, because no matter what I did I always got killed. Then when I would go back to redo them I would get killed again. Even in the one where you become an olympic athlete, I got shot in the end (and died, of course). Sad times.

Dude though, I would love to read an adult CYOA! That's what playing Heavy Rain is like. Mmmm.

clockworkfish

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Art!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:45:49 AM »
You really need to check out Fabled Lands.  They're like Choose Your Own Adventure, but span multiple books and are really interactive!  This link has a free program that took all the books and put them together, which also makes sure you can't cheat and takes care of record keeping.  It's really cool!

http://flapp.sourceforge.net/

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »
I'd be astonished if there weren't any adult CYOA books out there, but alas, I've never encountered them.

I wasn't hugely into them as a kid, but I did read quite a few of the Goosebumps ones. Fun times.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »
i read a few of these as a kid. I think they faded when vidoe game rpgs got more and more popular.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »
Ah, choose you're own adventure. I've read a few, we owned two or three when I was growing. I actually didn't like them all that much, because no matter what I did I always got killed. Then when I would go back to redo them I would get killed again. Even in the one where you become an olympic athlete, I got shot in the end (and died, of course). Sad times.

Dude though, I would love to read an adult CYOA! That's what playing Heavy Rain is like. Mmmm.

heh, but dying is part of the fun!

Also, did anyone else think it a little morbid that in a children's books, like 9 out of 10 choices led to "SORRY! You die a horrible death, all because of your crappy choice!!"
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 12:59:47 PM »
choose your own adventure books might work as a web book or web comic better than as a book.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 02:29:13 PM »
choose your own adventure books might work as a web book or web comic better than as a book.
There's MS Paint Adventures, but it only has one possibility explored. The audience decides what happens next, and then the artist draws it.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 02:50:55 PM »
There's MS Paint Adventures, but it only has one possibility explored. The audience decides what happens next, and then the artist draws it.

heh....that actually reminds me. I was doing something like that on these forums a while back.....then i completely forgot about it... I wonder what ever happened to that....

I also did it on some forums i used to visit, but they went belly up. That one got farther than the one here, IIRC.

Edit:

A little bit of detectivery and here it is!

It would seem i got distracted by coordinating my anniversary, and then completely forgot after that. At least that's what my post leads me to believe. I could probably start that up again, if there's enough interest in it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:54:52 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard