Author Topic: Way of Kings eBook?  (Read 5927 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Way of Kings eBook?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 08:48:25 PM »
I've heard a couple reports that some of the text in the art is hard to read in ebook versions. But I don't know if that's only on the small screens or if the resolution in the file is just too small.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

zebobes

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 02:18:15 AM »
I purchased the ebook version for now since I am currently out of the country-- I have a US credit card though!

The text in the art is hard to read. I read a good chunk of it on my iphone. I don't think it's the iphone's problem, though, since you can zoom in on the picture. It's kind of sad, because the artwork is rather awesome. Of course, I AM planning on getting a hardcover still, so I can enjoy the artwork later.

agibson

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 10:27:03 AM »
Ah - very interesting.  So, you zoom in, and it's still fuzzy?

Disappointing.  I guess it will be a while before the industry pays
as much attention to the quality of the ebook version as they do to
the quality of the print or audio versions.

Does it look like most or all of the art at least made it in to the ebook version?

And there are 29 total pages of art if you count the endpapers (which may not be in the ebook at all; I don't know). Plus the headers at the top of every chapter, which are more involved than the ones you see in a WoT book.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 01:03:24 PM »
interestingly the kindle version seems to be outselling the hardcover version according to amazon rankings. This is surprising since the hardcover is only about a $1 more. I believe shipping is free at amazon if you spend $25. I have been reading that ebooks are starting to take off this year.

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »
I think it's because of convenience.  My bet is that people want the book NOW and don't want to have to go to the book store or order it and wait.  That's why the kindle with wireless took off so fast.  Also, I ordered my hardback from Amazon (wanted it to credit in first week sales, even though I already have an ARC) and it was on sale for LESS than $25, so shipping wasn't free.  Plus with shelf space and size (1000 pages is huge for a hard back), it's a lot easier to hold the kindle and carry it around.
If everyone else sits back and does nothing, the bad guy wins.

Kierlionn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 08:41:56 PM »
I think it's because of convenience.  My bet is that people want the book NOW and don't want to have to go to the book store or order it and wait.  That's why the kindle with wireless took off so fast.  Also, I ordered my hardback from Amazon (wanted it to credit in first week sales, even though I already have an ARC) and it was on sale for LESS than $25, so shipping wasn't free.  Plus with shelf space and size (1000 pages is huge for a hard back), it's a lot easier to hold the kindle and carry it around.
I'm a Sony fan here but I agree, I bought it as soon as I found it on Sony's eBook page. Even while I did this I plan to go down to a bookstore possibly this weekend and buy the hardback.

agibson

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 10:31:33 AM »
interestingly the kindle version seems to be outselling the hardcover version according to amazon rankings.

Fascinating.  I don't know exactly how their rankings work.  But, if we look at Epic Fantasy right now
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/16197/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_1_4_last

we have:
1)Towers of Midnight pre-order (hardcover)
2)Way of Kings (kindle)
3)Way of Kings (hardcover)
4)The latest Shannara (kindle)
5)The latest Shannara (hardcover)
6-8)More kindle
9)Gathering Storm (hardcover)
10)Kindle
11)Something else
12)Knife of Dreams (kindle)
13)Eye of the World (!) (kindle)
14)Something else
15-16)Kindle
17)Great Hunt (!) (kindle)
18)Mistborn (kindle)

That's a lot of Brandon Sanderson, and a lot of Kindle!
(Of course, since the kindle versions are _only_ available on Amazon,
 it's going to distort the picture.)

The kindle versions of these old epics seem to be in the $6-8 range.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 11:52:54 AM »
@calvin: as recently as 6 months ago, alot of author blogs talked about how small the sales volume was for ebooks. Looks like it really changed.

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »
Yeah...it was about 4-5 months ago, if I remember right, that e-book reader prices dropped significantly.  I think it's finally come into its own.  I wasn't thinking about buying a reader until then myself.  I'm also waiting for technology to become a little more stable (like the whole VHS vs. Betamax thing...I want to buy the one that will be around for decades).

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 04:25:10 PM »
I hope e-books only becomes a second option for people, and never the dominant or primary method. I guess I am old fashioned, bu I will always prefer a good harcover or paperback to an electonic screen.

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 06:13:37 PM »
I agree.  But as long as there are power outages, corrupt files, the potential to drop the kindle, etc., I'm sure that hard-bound books will exist.  Newspapers, however, may go out of style.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 03:03:20 AM »
ebooks outsell hardcovers on Amazon. But Amazon sells a LARGE percentage of the ebooks in the world, and a small percentage of the hardcovers in the world. Overally, ebooks won't overtake hardcovers for years yet.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
I hope ebooks never overtake hardcovers. Like I said in my prior post, I hope ebooks never becomes a primary or dominant method. Only a second option, but used less overall than buying hardcovers.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 01:58:57 PM by Hobbun »