Author Topic: New metal idea  (Read 4143 times)

Carn

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
New metal idea
« on: August 21, 2010, 04:45:25 PM »
I emailed Brandon some months back, and he replied back to me. I game him an idea for a metal in my email, and he suggested I post it on this forum. This is what I said:
"I was thinking another cool metal would be to be able to talk to Preservation, and its alloy to be able to talk to Ruin. I know that either can sort of talk to you, but you cannot reply back, either does not know what you are thinking."
And Sanderson's reply (regarding metals) was this:
"As for the metals, I do intend my readers to speculate and interpret the metals uses.  There has been a lot of discussion about this on some forums like The Time Waster's Guide.  However, I am writing a sequel trilogy to Mistborn someday...
You have an interesting idea about a metal affecting Ruin and Preservation.  You might add that to one of the discussions on a forum or on the Mistborn website to see what others think about it as well."
So, there it is. What do you people think?

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: New metal idea
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:31:16 PM »
Since the end of HoA, with Ruin and Preservation now being the twin powers of one person, there is nothign opposing him from talking to anyone very very clearly, e.g. dropping a note in front of them or listening to anything they say, I guess the issue is getting his attention as he could be looking in the wrong way at the time. So a metal that gets his attentions perhaps... Hmm...

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »
Well, hemalurgic spikes allow Ruin to telepathically talk to (and physically control) people. There may be something similar for Preservation in allomancy. Perhaps that's one of the unknown effects of lerasium.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 12:04:29 AM »
Maybe an alloy of Lerasium and Copper lets you hear Preservation/Sazed?

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:21:06 PM »
Maybe an alloy of Lerasium and Copper lets you hear Preservation/Sazed?

I believe that's established as giving one the ability to burn copper.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 09:34:27 PM »
I believe that's established as giving one the ability to burn copper.
I'm pretty sure that that's what would happen if you ate the metal. Burning it would have a different effect.
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »
Having all these different Larasium alloys adds loads to the table of allomantic metals, who's to say they would do anything? GIving somebody the ability to burn copped by giving them something made of two components one of which would give the ability to burn all metals doesn't really make much sense....

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:35:25 PM »
Having all these different Larasium alloys adds loads to the table of allomantic metals, who's to say they would do anything? GIving somebody the ability to burn copped by giving them something made of two components one of which would give the ability to burn all metals doesn't really make much sense....
We do  have the word of god on this. Alloys of Lerasium change someone into a misting.

It wouldn't make sense from the perspective of the person gaining power (unless the alloying focuses the potency instead of just specifying an ability), but if you don't want to give someone the full set for purposes of control, it makes perfect sense.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:37:51 PM by sortitus »

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 04:21:20 AM »
Maybe the alloys give section of the wheel. So Lerasium & Aluminum would give enhancement powers, Steel would do physical, etc.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 04:46:31 PM »
We do  have the word of god on this. Alloys of Lerasium change someone into a misting.

Do we? Because the last I heard, it was never directly confirmed. Larasium alloys were thought to make mistings, but it was still just speculation. I do agree, it does seem to be the best and most likely explanation. I'm just hesitant to base a lot of my assumptions off of it, because when it gets shot down, all that theorizing is moot ;D.

But I could be wrong. Do you mind letting me know where this was confirmed? Or at least pointing me in the right direction (Q&A, annotation, a specific thread)?

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 08:55:17 PM »

Do we? Because the last I heard, it was never directly confirmed. Larasium alloys were thought to make mistings, but it was still just speculation. I do agree, it does seem to be the best and most likely explanation. I'm just hesitant to base a lot of my assumptions off of it, because when it gets shot down, all that theorizing is moot ;D.

But I could be wrong. Do you mind letting me know where this was confirmed? Or at least pointing me in the right direction (Q&A, annotation, a specific thread)?
I'm pretty it says so on the Allomantic Metals poster.  Chaos, confirmation on this?
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 09:23:34 PM »
I believe a relevant quote can be found in the B&N interviews, and the Table of Allomantic Metals confirms it too. Here it is:
...In alloy form, it produces various expanded physical and enhancement effects. (Including the creation of Mistings)

The forum's search function hasn't been working for me lately, but here's a Google site search that you might find useful.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 09:34:01 PM »
Heh, yeah, I just checked the table. My bad.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 07:44:11 AM »
It should be noted that the Table of Allomantic Metals is an in-world creation. They don't have a lot of lerasium to exactly experiment with it.

The other 17th Shard people and I just interviewed Brandon today, and while we don't have the transcript or the audio edited yet, I can tell you that there seems to be many more than just sixteen alloys of each god metal. There's a finite amount, but there seems to be a lot of them. He wouldn't elaborate on what they'd do. But, in my opinion, I certainly couldn't say that such metals could not explicitly exist.

Also, in Brandon's words, "You can do a lot of cool things with lerasium..."
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.