Author Topic: "Death" of Ruin and Preservation  (Read 22157 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: "Death" of Ruin and Preservation
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2010, 07:08:54 PM »
Brandon said something like "Elantris does have a sequel. It's called Mistborn." So that should answer your chronology question.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2010, 07:41:09 PM »
The only part of WoK I've read is the Prologue because it was in the back of Warbreaker.. I hate reading things in parts, so I've been holding out until the entire book is released :p

I guess there is no specific chronology for Warbreaker?  I always imagined that it was the most "futuristic" of the 3 societies, but I'm not really sure why.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »
I guess there is no specific chronology for Warbreaker?  I always imagined that it was the most "futuristic" of the 3 societies, but I'm not really sure why.
I'm pretty sure that as far as science goes, that would be Mistborn. The magic in Warbreaker is, however, used in more everyday applications than in Mistborn, where the magic is almost always used in warfare.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2010, 10:50:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure that as far as science goes, that would be Mistborn. The magic in Warbreaker is, however, used in more everyday applications than in Mistborn, where the magic is almost always used in warfare.

I don't know, I was just thinking that the societies themselves in Warbreaker seemed more advanced, again I have no real reason or idea why... Thats just how I felt haha.  It does make sense the way you said it though.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2010, 11:04:11 PM »
Warbreaker simply felt progressive because its environment had things like restaurants, which give a feel of modernity.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2010, 11:31:24 PM »
Chaos, while I disagree with you, the way you say things somehow makes whatever you say seem like the only thing that makes sense. Maybe that's the slave protocols you installed back when you made me your puppet talking though.

Restaurants have been around quite a while. Certainly longer than firearms, which were invented but suppressed by TLR. Then again, the progression for different societies is often radically different. Maybe in a world where some people can make high speed projectiles out of coins, creating a similar ability for the normals would take precedence over fine dining establishments. The commoners in Mistborn certainly had public dining, but that was more of a mess hall than a restaurant.

I don't know, I was just thinking that the societies themselves in Warbreaker seemed more advanced, again I have no real reason or idea why... Thats just how I felt haha.  It does make sense the way you said it though.
You may have been noticing the nods Brandon was giving to Victorian-era England (esp. Oscar Wilde). I also remember some feminism, which is a rather recent development in our world. The societies Brandon creates may be purposely (I hope) anachronistic to remind us that the worlds we (Hoid ;)) are visiting are very different from the one we live in. I may be wrong! I'm improvising!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:33:10 PM by sortitus »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2010, 01:25:34 AM »
What, don't you remember my tyrannical tendencies :P

Ahem.

I don't know, it made sense to me. You're welcome to disagree, haha.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

nikita kolesnik

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2010, 08:16:43 AM »
Not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but

Lerasium (body of Preservation) =Leras (God's name) + ium (suffix implying metal)

Same thing for Atium (body of Ruin, or Ati). It also confirms their names.