Author Topic: UK WoK release date?  (Read 2230 times)

rjl

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
UK WoK release date?
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:53:02 PM »
Amazon uk lists a copy of WoK with a frankly awful cover for UK release on the 30th December is this really right?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: UK WoK release date?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »
It is right, though Australia and New Zealand get basically the UK version on September 1st. You should be able to get any version from Book Depository though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 10:10:03 PM »
Amazon uk lists a copy of WoK with a frankly awful cover for UK release

Hah!! Consider it fair balance for the truly awful covers we get on Discworld novels.  ;D

Seriously, I can't believe you guys get those brilliant Paul Kidby covers, and we get... well, not the Kidby. Usually some sort of graphic design cover.

My sister is returning from the UK in a couple weeks, and pretty much the only thing I asked her to do was obtain a copy of I Shall Wear Midnight for me. I'll pay the exchange rate just for the better cover.

-EDIT-

Heh... the UK cover is not THAT bad. Just not as good as Michael Whelan (and personally I don't think Shardplate should look  so much like 15th century European dress plate, nor a Shardblade like a smoky zweihander).

Maybe Peter can clear this up... is it just about licensing fees that need to be paid to the artist? Is it that the domestic publisher gets an exclusivity clause so that international editions are easily distinguished? Why must I suffer without Paul Kidby covers on my Discworld novels? Why must Rhuan suffer without Michael Whelan? Oooh, the suffering!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:16:59 PM by Inkthinker »

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 10:48:19 PM »
Those kinds of covers are really popular now, I guess. A white background with one character in a close up and a splash of color somewhere. I guess maybe they sell more.

Here's one that kind of has the same style. http://www.amazon.com/Way-Shadows-Night-Angel-Trilogy/dp/0316033677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281995144&sr=8-1

And one that surprised me when I saw it because it looked so similar. http://www.amazon.com/Innocent-Mage-Kingmaker-Kingbreaker-Book/dp/0316067806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281995274&sr=8-1

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:15:17 PM »
The UK publisher could pay for the Whelan art if they wanted to. I doubt many publishers internationally will have the resources.

Cover art is marketing. As far as publishing companies are concerned, covers are marketing, period, full stop. They'll market a book the way that they think best and that makes the most sense for them financially.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:05:17 AM »
I think I'll pay the extra for the import, it's not that much extra.

kari-no-sugata

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
It normally quite easy to get the US edition in the UK quite soon after the official release. I wouldn't worry too much...

kain243

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 06:55:17 PM »
@Peter
So the Whelan cover costs them more if they want to use it?  Who decides how much that costs... the artist or did TOR purchase the art that it then sublicenses to foreign publishers?  In the second case, it would make sense for them to license it for whatever reasonable price the foreign publisher is willing to pay.

Its true that the Whelan cover does look a lot better than the UK cover.  However, the real issue in my opinion is the publication date.  If it comes out six months later, most of the people who know about the book and are looking to buy it will probably purchase the import... or the audiobook.

The audiobook is available on audible.com and audible.fr so I would guess its available on audible.co.uk and audible.de as well...

I am very happy with my audible subscription so far.. Just wish I could have supported writing excuses through audible.fr like you can on audiblepodcast.com/excuse.  I did mention writing excuses as the refering website but I don't know if you got credit for the subscription.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:57:26 PM by kain243 »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »
It's not available on Audible UK. I didn't know it was available in France.

I certainly agree that releasing it at the same time makes the most sense. Hopefully it will be that way with the next book.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 10:33:08 PM »
Well, I bought the import... I didn't like the UK cover or the wait.

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
  • This isn't just any text - This is Personal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 05:01:09 AM »
I'd say it's worth it.
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland