Author Topic: Way of Kings eBook?  (Read 5923 times)

darthTurambar

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Way of Kings eBook?
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:10:46 AM »
Does anyone know if Way of Kings will be released as an eBook on Aug. 31st, along with the hardcover and CD audiobook?  I've noticed Barnes & Noble has a listing for Terry Brooks' new book, where you can pre-order the eBook (at a ridiculous price, I might add), but there is no such treatment for Way of Kings.  I just got a Nook, and would like to be able to buy WoK in electronic form.... but I'm also not willing to wait past release date, or all my Sanderson-convert-friends will be laughing at me as they finish their print copies...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Way of Kings eBook?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:20:48 AM »
Yes, it will be released on the same day. I don't know why B&N doesn't have a listing yet.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darthTurambar

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:52:01 PM »
Any indication on what the price of the eBook will be?  Hopefully it doesn't follow the upcoming "Bearers of the Black Staff", which is priced such that I could get the hardcover cheaper in the store.... if I knew the author was getting the increased profits, I'd be fine with it, but I'm quite certain that is not the case.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 06:26:57 PM »
It's $14.99. Cheaper than the hardcover (which, actually, at $27.99 is probably priced $2 too cheap for a thousand-page hardcover, and the sequels will likely be $29.99, same price as a Wheel of Time book). But Brandon does get more royalties for the hardcover.

The ebook price will go down when the paperback comes out. But Tor (or rather, their parent company Macmillan) decides all this stuff and Brandon doesn't have a say in it.

I don't know how nice all the art will look on an ereader screen. I'm guessing not as nice as it will look in the hardcover. And there are 29 total pages of art if you count the endpapers (which may not be in the ebook at all; I don't know). Plus the headers at the top of every chapter, which are more involved than the ones you see in a WoT book.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darthTurambar

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 06:43:42 PM »
Thanks for all the info! I'm torn... Since most major releases can be bought at 40% off (for members), the hardcover would be just under $17.  So the ebook savings is only $2, and my favorite author makes less.  While I love the convenience of the ebook, that's not a fun decision to make.  Especially since its laughable to think the overhead on a hardcover is anywhere in the same ballpark as an ebook.  Again, if Brandon saw higher royalties from the ebook, I'd gladly buy that to support him (selfishly, since I want more books!), but that's not the case.  Feels like a scam to me.  Is convenience worth that much? I guess I'll see on Aug. 31st, when I have to decide one way or the other....

Thanks again for the info!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 07:23:39 PM »
Thanks for all the info! I'm torn... Since most major releases can be bought at 40% off (for members), the hardcover would be just under $17.  So the ebook savings is only $2, and my favorite author makes less.  While I love the convenience of the ebook, that's not a fun decision to make.  Especially since its laughable to think the overhead on a hardcover is anywhere in the same ballpark as an ebook.  Again, if Brandon saw higher royalties from the ebook, I'd gladly buy that to support him (selfishly, since I want more books!), but that's not the case.  Feels like a scam to me.  Is convenience worth that much? I guess I'll see on Aug. 31st, when I have to decide one way or the other....

Thanks again for the info!

It may not be the most economical way but I will be purchasing both. I love the look and feel of hardcovers, I have a bookshelf almost entirely full of nothing but hardcovers. I'm planning on buying a Kindle 3 in september so I will be buying the eBook as well because like a lot of people on this forum, I love theorycrafting. But carrying the hardcover everywhere is difficult. The eBook will make it a lot easier to organize my notes and theories (especially on the kindle 3 with all the note features, mmm). So that will be... $16.79 (amazon's current cost for it) + $14.99 for the eBook = $31.78. only $3.79 above in store retail for the hardcover. Not bad.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

mattm

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 01:23:30 AM »
So, I will definitely be purchasing the ebook version of this, since these days a lot of my reading is done with a sleeping newborn in my arms, and pushing a button is a lot easier than wielding a meaty tome and turning the pages.

Anyway, I saw that Brandon is going to be coming in for a signing at my local bookstore, and suddenly a big flaw in ebooks presented itself to me: What will I have him sign?!  My receipt for the ebook?  Maybe I'll just have him sign the back of my nook.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 06:24:43 AM »
Brandon has signed Kindles and other ereaders before.

Though I heard a story about someone who had a Kindle signed by a bunch of authors, and it needed to be repaired, and when he got it back they had washed off all the signatures...

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 07:02:48 AM »
Ultra-mega-DOH!
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 11:39:37 AM »
Brandon has signed Kindles and other ereaders before.

Though I heard a story about someone who had a Kindle signed by a bunch of authors, and it needed to be repaired, and when he got it back they had washed off all the signatures...

This is why you get a nook and have 2 back panels, one for reading, one for authors to sign!
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Korwin

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 01:54:11 PM »
After posting I saw this thread, so can someone from Not-Europe click onto the link in the quote,

Is there a Kindle Edition?
And if yes, is it (or will it be) available in Europe?

In the Kindle-shop I get following message.

This title is not available for customers from your location in:
Europe

Reads to me, yes there is an Kindle edition, but not for Europe ???  :'(
Hope that status changes until next week.

and tell me if its available?

LadyArianna

• Level 2
  • Must. Eat. Sugar.
    • View Profile
    • The Idiot Pill
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 02:12:08 PM »
After posting I saw this thread, so can someone from Not-Europe click onto the link in the quote,

Is there a Kindle Edition?
And if yes, is it (or will it be) available in Europe?

In the Kindle-shop I get following message.

This title is not available for customers from your location in:
Europe

Reads to me, yes there is an Kindle edition, but not for Europe ???  :'(
Hope that status changes until next week.

and tell me if its available?

It's showing up as available in the US for $14.99. There's a pre-ordering button that says it will be mystically delivered to your Kindle on 8/31 (US release date). 

I'm sure there's some fancy publishing/business reason for releasing in different English-speaking countries at different times, but we'd all probably roll our eyes and gag ourselves if we knew.  Camp is unfair  :(
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:13:59 PM by LadyArianna »
"I generally prefer introductions before theology. Lunch too, if it can be found. Perhaps a nice nap. Actually, practically anything should come before theology. But especially introductions." - Hoid

Korwin

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 02:21:48 PM »
Well, I'm not in an English speaking country.
But I was lucky with Changes from Jim Butcher, I could buy it when American's couldnt...

so maybe its a sort of Karma balance?

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 04:36:16 PM »

I'm sure there's some fancy publishing/business reason for releasing in different English-speaking countries at different times, but we'd all probably roll our eyes and gag ourselves if we knew.  Camp is unfair  :(

I think it's actually quite rare for books to be released at the same time in other countries, even if they speak the same language. I think it has to do with publisher schedules, business agreements, and things such as that.

Plus, different countries might need different publishers. For example, I think Tor only publishes books in the US, so in other countries, it's handled by a different publisher, but I could be wrong about that.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

agibson

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 01:32:43 PM »
I don't know how nice all the art will look on an ereader screen. I'm guessing not as nice as it will look in the hardcover. And there are 29 total pages of art if you count the endpapers (which may not be in the ebook at all; I don't know). Plus the headers at the top of every chapter, which are more involved than the ones you see in a WoT book.

I just discovered this forum looking for an answer to this very question.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the kindle version to the hardcover? 

Here in Europe the kindle version would be faster and cheaper for me to get my hands on,
but I would be a bit sad to lose the artwork.

(I'm also a bit reluctant to build a collection of hardcovers - I've been thinking that I might
  expand my ebook collection specifically to cut down on bookshelf use.  I might be happy to
 come back and re-read it before the next installment, and it just seems like that might be
 easier in the electronic version.)