Author Topic: WoK ARCs  (Read 14259 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: WoK ARCs
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
I'm sure Tor would ship them out using something that would arrive in a timely manner. What's the point of letting someone win an advance copy of a book, only to get it to them AFTER it's released?
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

mycoltbug

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 10:50:20 PM »
I believe it's in New York.  I know the head quarters are based there.
Tor/Forge
175 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10010-7703
(212) 388-0100

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 10:24:13 PM »
I believe it's in New York.  I know the head quarters are based there.
Tor/Forge
175 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10010-7703
(212) 388-0100

Thanks for the info. Guess i'll be waiting longer then I assumed. Unless Tor has centers around the country.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 10:52:56 PM »
A USPS package was in the mail today.  I was very excited.  It turned out to be the seatcovers my parents ordered for the car... :'(
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 11:52:13 PM »
Ohhh that sucks. How dare they order something while you wait for the magical book of magicy magicness. (yup, those 2 words are squiggly underlined, and I'm okay with that.)
 :D

Recruit of the Omegas.

Zmann966

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 02:06:28 AM »
Ahh, Just finished my ARC...
SO MANY QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
SO MANY QUESTIONS RAISED!

Where's that forum? *goes off to find it*
Enjoying The Way of Kings?
Come on over to www.Adonalsium.net and discuss some of the deeper cosmere theories!

mycoltbug

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 04:57:39 PM »
K so how much do these arc's weigh? I've got 3 packages on their way and UPS is showing a package coming today that weighs 6.2 lbs.  Seems to heavy for 4 dvds or an iphone. So i'm assuming it must be the ARC.  Although I'm not positive. Anyone have an idea of the approximate weight?

Edit:
Amazon shows the shipping weight for the release version at 3lbs. So does the ARC weigh more?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:00:03 PM by mycoltbug »

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »
K so how much do these arc's weigh? I've got 3 packages on their way and UPS is showing a package coming today that weighs 6.2 lbs.  Seems to heavy for 4 dvds or an iphone. So i'm assuming it must be the ARC.  Although I'm not positive. Anyone have an idea of the approximate weight?

Edit:
Amazon shows the shipping weight for the release version at 3lbs. So does the ARC weigh more?

I would think that ARC's would weigh less, since they're usually bare-bone versions of the book without things like dust-jacket, sometimes binding, and such. However, I can't speak for these specific ones, since I don't currently have mine.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 05:38:52 PM »

Edit:

How did you find the 6.2 lb package without a tracking number? Just curious.

Recruit of the Omegas.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 05:42:17 PM »

Edit:

How did you find the 6.2 lb package without a tracking number? Just curious.

l33t haxx0r sk33lz, obviously.

Heh, back when I worked in the UPS financial department, i had access to the entire shipping system of the midwest, I could look up packages going to any specific destination that passed through any midwest facility.

[/off topic]
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

fantastyfreak

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • A Bibliophile's Reverie
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »
I've been talking daily mailbox walks to check for a package from TOR publishers. Due to my low number of blog readers or watchers, even with the sent ARC inquiry, I highly doubt the "Way of Kings" Arc would come for that reason. Contest-wise: Anytime there's enthusiasm involved with the prize then there's always a low probability that I'll win the ARC. Therefore, I have to greatly abhor the item or be apathetic about it to receive that prize. Even with the proper methods of altering my thought processes, I still cannot disguise my excitement.

At least, I have my copy ordered from Amazon to look forward to. It's been six months since I originally preordered it.

mycoltbug

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »
did a reference track for my zip code and name. It showed a package due to arrive today that showed that weight.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 06:07:01 PM »
The ARC weighs less than 3 pounds.

It's frustrating that these ARCs aren't arriving early. I mean, the book comes out in 11 days...you'd think the ARC would come early enough that you could finish it before the book's release.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 06:57:16 PM »
The ARC weighs less than 3 pounds.

It's frustrating that these ARCs aren't arriving early. I mean, the book comes out in 11 days...you'd think the ARC would come early enough that you could finish it before the book's release.

Yes, yes it is. Yes, yes you would. I was hoping to finish it before release and put out a nice/horrible/indifferent (most likely nice) little review on Goodreads but the longer it takes to get here, the less chance of that happening. I thought that was the whole point of an ARC, to get it out so the average little people like myself can read and get an opinion out there that isn't a critic's POV.

did a reference track for my zip code and name. It showed a package due to arrive today that showed that weight.

Suppose it would help if I had a reference number or something huh. It's requiring it of me. We could compare info, if they are both 6.2 lbs, then it would definately be the ARC  :D

Recruit of the Omegas.

mycoltbug

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 07:08:36 PM »
Nods to peter's greater knowledge. Maybe I should just go borrow Howards copy Dan. Since this one is taking forever to arrive. LOL.